JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
I second that the FG2 had a better sound system. That said, its not thaaat bad. It needs a little more power, the speakers could be a little bit better, but its not that far away from being a pretty decent setup.
Sponsored

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
+1, the OEM audio setup sucks. Doesn't really bother me though since it's not the reason I bought the car.

boweldi

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50S Hybrid
Country flag
I second that the FG2 had a better sound system. That said, its not thaaat bad. It needs a little more power, the speakers could be a little bit better, but its not that far away from being a pretty decent setup.

I had an FA5 with added sub only. That was a very impressive setup.
I test drove the current gen civics touring /si, the speakers were definitely a step or two down from the FA\FG si speakers. Unfortunate.

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The factory audio system with a simple center channel swap is perfect for my needs. The front staging now sounds clean and crisp.
I wasn’t looking for an amazing audio system in this car. I came from an $3K+ aftermarket audio system in my previous car; I knew I wasn’t gonna have the same sound.
*unless Alpine or JL make a factory plug and play style system I won’t mess with it.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
That's actually really cheap in the grand scheme of things - I may try some of these mods, thanks.
Agreed. @ctrmofo did a post on page 9 of that thread assessing priority of mods in terms of bang for the buck. I totally agree with his recommendations and would start there. Center dash speaker first, then sub and amp, then front door tweeters and main speakers.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
as the guys mentioned, i did a whole complete thread for audio basically covering all 12 channels of the stock audio system.

stock system is pioneer built for both head unit and external amp (sits in the front passenger footwell behind right panel). it's rated 550w rms to drive 12 channels including sub. i estimate the amp dedicated maybe 150w max to the sub thus the problem with the low end...way too low to drive a sub which sits in trunk - typically requires 2x that power to make a difference due to being trunk positioned.

sad to say but ctr audio system is the worst i've owned in all my cars in the last 15 years...and have had a lot of cars lol. even the stock audio in my 2001 s2k and 2003 nsx (was bose) were far better. of all the cars i've had in the last 15 yrs, this is the first time i've actually dedicated time and effort to improving the stock system. all my audis are harman kardon, porsche-bose, lambo-bose, and mini jcw harman kardon. none touched as they pounded really well.

ctr got left with audio system designed 1 or 2 generations ago unfortunately. honda engineers have attested to this (won't mention names of those who live near me and work for honda mfg hq's near columbus, oh). the latest accord has an amazing stock system which can't be transferred to ctrs.

yes check the thread out for the tips and installs. use any brand you'd like for speakers and will be much better than stock. if there's a particular sub you'd like to have reviewed, suggest it and if feasible will try it out and give feedback as time permits.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
The Type R ethos is light weight and no fluff. This is not the car for you if you crave good music.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Type R ethos is light weight and no fluff. This is not the car for you if you crave good music.
that can't be further from the truth! nothing wrong with best of both worlds which can be done. sure, if you want a huge heavy box for your big sub - that's a totally different story.

upgrades to the car adds zero to insignificant low weight. in fact i tracked and watch my weight changes carefully for ALL the upgrades and sound deadening (4 doors and entire trunk)...you'd be surprised. here are "added weight" vs. stock as documented.

- 10 channels speaker upgraded (1 lbs 6 ounces per 6.5" door speaker upgraded x 4 and zero weight added for tweeters and center channel) = subtotal weight added 5 lbs 8 ounces for speakers

- sub (currently alpine type r 8" deeper sub) = subtotal weight 6 lbs 3 ounces

- soundskins triple layer sound deadening in all 4 doors and entire trunk (actual measured at 5.34 lbs per 10.7 sq ft per roll or 0.499 lbs per sq ft...actual used 4 complete rolls or 42.8 sq ft used) = subtotal 21.36 lbs added weight

if you want to talk about weight, then must account for unsprung weight vs. sprung (dead weight....driver, chassis, seats, speakers etc.)

i saved 120 lbs sprung weight by using oem nsx forged 19" wheels or 10 lbs savings of unsprung weight per corner x 4 x factor of 3 = 120 lbs sprung weight saved.

therefore, 120 lbs saved less above total sprung weight added with audio upgrade of 33.0475 added back for a NET SAVING of sprung weight 86.95 lbs. meaning my car with upgraded audio gear weighs 86.95 lbs LESS than stock ctr....not yet accounting for another 40 lbs sprung weight saving from GRP turbo back exhaust system which means i saved 126.95 lbs ;-)

even if one adds 50 lbs of weight to the car - it's insignificant given that could be the weight difference of 2 drivers, tank of gas, etc.

so to address the comment "this car is not for you if you crave good music..." - it's not true.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
All I am saying is that music is not the biggest priority for any Type R. A person's own interests can definitely mod this car to be whatever they want it to be but my original comment is that Honda design philosophy for the Type R is to be as light weight as possible as long the Honda bean counters approves still rings true.

that can't be further from the truth! nothing wrong with best of both worlds which can be done. sure, if you want a huge heavy box for your big sub - that's a totally different story.

upgrades to the car adds zero to insignificant low weight. in fact i tracked and watch my weight changes carefully for ALL the upgrades and sound deadening (4 doors and entire trunk)...you'd be surprised. here are "added weight" vs. stock as documented.

- 10 channels speaker upgraded (1 lbs 6 ounces per 6.5" door speaker upgraded x 4 and zero weight added for tweeters and center channel) = subtotal weight added 5 lbs 8 ounces for speakers

- sub (currently alpine type r 8" deeper sub) = subtotal weight 6 lbs 3 ounces

- soundskins triple layer sound deadening in all 4 doors and entire trunk (actual measured at 5.34 lbs per 10.7 sq ft per roll or 0.499 lbs per sq ft...actual used 4 complete rolls or 42.8 sq ft used) = subtotal 21.36 lbs added weight

if you want to talk about weight, then must account for unsprung weight vs. sprung (dead weight....driver, chassis, seats, speakers etc.)

i saved 120 lbs sprung weight by using oem nsx forged 19" wheels or 10 lbs savings of unsprung weight per corner x 4 x factor of 3 = 120 lbs sprung weight saved.

therefore, 120 lbs saved less above total sprung weight added with audio upgrade of 33.0475 added back for a NET SAVING of sprung weight 86.95 lbs. meaning my car with upgraded audio gear weighs 86.95 lbs LESS than stock ctr....not yet accounting for another 40 lbs sprung weight saving from GRP turbo back exhaust system which means i saved 126.95 lbs ;-)

even if one adds 50 lbs of weight to the car - it's insignificant given that could be the weight difference of 2 drivers, tank of gas, etc.

so to address the comment "this car is not for you if you crave good music..." - it's not true.

Nath

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't know call me crazy but I think the audio is fine and loud :dunno:
Ha,..I thought the sound system in my 2018 CTR sounded wonderful. Now, after reading these comments,..ah fuck it, it still sounds wonderful. I like sitting in my garage listening to tunes and playing with the gear shifter. (no, not MY gear shifter, the CTR gear shifter); I've driven lots of bikes, so maybe I'm not so spoiled by fancy stereos..yet.

ratimux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500
Country flag
I did not like the audio system in the Type R. A 10 year old toyota camry probably has better sound, but who cares. For me the souds the car made were a good enoug reson not to even turn on the stereo in the Type R.
Sponsored