Question about wheel swap from OEM wheels to aftermarket wheels

Seandingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP CTR, 2010 Accord
Country flag
Hey guys,

I just purchased the CTR about six months ago and now I am ready to take the plunge to swap out the OEM wheels to some aftermarkets. This car is the first car I've owned that I am actually making mods on so bear with me as I ask a very noob question.

Regarding the wheel swap process, can I bring the wheels (purchased online) to the tire shop, have them mount the tires, and then take the set home and put them on the car myself? Or should I have them do all work at the shop to ensure there are no issues? I am not sure if there's something that needs to be taken off the old wheel and placed on the new wheel to make everything work without a hitch (i.e. TPMS).

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
There is no TPMS parts. The CTR does it by measuring wheel speed.

Are you talking about the wheels (rims) or the tires (rubber)? You can take the wheels in, have them mount and balance the new tires and take those home and put them on yourself. But don't know why you would want to. Seems easier to just take the car there and wait while they mount the new wheels. Takes about 30-60 minutes.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Most are going 18/19in wheels with a type r. Your stock 20in tire won’t fit. I personally like to work on my own cars as much as possible. A lot of places mount/balanced already if you buy together, so it makes taking them off super simple.

OP
OP

Seandingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Most are going 18/19in wheels with a type r. Your stock 20in tire won’t fit. I personally like to work on my own cars as much as possible. A lot of places mount/balanced already if you buy together, so it makes taking them off super simple.
Yep I understand I will need to purchase new tires. I just wanted to know if there's a component on the OEM wheel that needs to be transferred to the new wheel for TPMS purposes.

omalleyman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm assuming you are getting new tires with the wheels? I ordered mine through Tire Rack (wheels and tires) and they shipped them to a local installer. Good solution for noobs like us.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
TPMS is a hassle anyways be glad CTRs dont have them. They are a nightmare when getting the shop to replace them , and a set is expensive.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Basically bring your tire/rims to any tire shop or dealer. Pay their mount and balance fee, take them home and install. Reset tpms via HU or just drive a few blocks and it will reset itself

But since you're at a shop/dealer might as well get them installed since you're already there and paying for labour

OP
OP

Seandingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Awesome. Thanks for the input all! Just wanted to clarify there's nothing to do with the OEM wheel/tire setup.

Thanks again!

ctrres

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR CBP
Country flag
You might need to buy a set of lug nuts as well, depending on the wheels you get, the OEM might not fit.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
You might need to buy a set of lug nuts as well, depending on the wheels you get, the OEM might not fit.
best advice. your OEM lug nuts will not work with 99% of aftermarket wheels.

Tomek

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R | 1994 Honda Civic EX K20a
Country flag
Exactly what I've always done. Have them simply mount / balance and then swap onto the car myself. Less opportunity for them to mess something up.

Speaking of messing things up, depending on the wheel you go with, you may want to check with the shop ahead of time to make sure they are capable of mounting tires on your specific wheels without damage. Some wheels, such as many Volks, are "reverse mount" which generally requires a specific machine or adapters to mount tires properly without damage.

Any "good" shop will be able to accommodate this, but I have seen some horror stories out there of wheels being pretty badly damaged because the shop didn't know, didn't have the right equipment, and / or were simply negligent.
Sponsored