Question about track setup for type R

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
RE-71R is a cheater Auto X tire. It's actually quite a bad track tire because the optimal temperature range is so narrow. They have incredible grip but go greasy after just a few maximum attack laps.

I've posted this in a ton of threads, but right now the best semi-track tire is the Cup 2. Dirt cheap right now in the OEM fitment. https://www.prioritytire.com/michelin-pilot-sport-cup-2-245-30r20-zr-90y-xl/

OP, to answer your question, the stock pads are not up for a 30 minute run at maximum attack. I can't do more than 6-7 fast laps at AMP (home track - lap times are in the mid 1:30s and it is not a heavy braking track) before getting some pretty gnarly fade. Car still stops but the braking distance begins stretching out after lap 5 or so.

If you run the heater on max, the car generally won't go into overheating / limp mode during a 20 minute session (haven't run longer than this due to brakes), even in hot weather (90F with 85% humidity). However, the coolant temps will get quite high, and the gauge (at least on the 2019s) does not provide any actual numbers, nor does it provide oil temps, so you may be cooking the oil.

The stock tires will roll over onto the sidewall and also horribly overheat if you are driving hard. Even if you overinflate, you can't fully stop the rollover, and overinflating them makes them get greasy even faster. You have to be very careful once they become greasy, because the resulting understeer will shred the sidewalls and tread. My stock front right (counterclockwise circuit) was absolutely cooked at just 2700 miles because of this phenomenon.
Sponsored

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
Which tow hook should I get? Almost got the one from Perrin until I saw it is a cosmetic addon that shouldn't be used for towing. :eek:

ca86108

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole bunch
Country flag
Go for it, the CTR is great track car and totally livable the rest of the time.

I tracked mine 5-6x last year with only swapping the OEM brake fluid. The stock pads do pretty good - not the best, but you dont have to take them off right away.

Get the car, and have fun - its an absolute blast on track, totally its element.

Do you have to eventually get stainless steel brake lines since you put high temp fluid? How many track days did the oem pads last with stock pads? Any brake fade with the oem pad + high temp brake fluid combo? Thanks

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Do you have to eventually get stainless steel brake lines since you put high temp fluid? How many track days did the oem pads last with stock pads? Any brake fade with the oem pad + high temp brake fluid combo? Thanks
I know users have reported some fade with the OEM pads (2017-19). The 2020 pads are different though to help address the issue. I'm not sure how those would fare. Many just end up going with a dedicated track pad and swap back after the track session.

ca86108

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole bunch
Country flag
I know users have reported some fade with the OEM pads (2017-19). The 2020 pads are different though to help address the issue. I'm not sure how those would fare. Many just end up going with a dedicated track pad and swap back after the track session.

I just got my car yesterday. It only has 10k miles so I wanted to burn those out before going to a dedicated track pad. I just wanted to know if theyd last me 1 or 2 track days with stock fluid or should I put high temp fluid etc.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Good brake fluid is almost always worth it for track use. (waste of time on the street). Personally I love Castrol SRF. It really is better

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
I just got my car yesterday. It only has 10k miles so I wanted to burn those out before going to a dedicated track pad. I just wanted to know if theyd last me 1 or 2 track days with stock fluid or should I put high temp fluid etc.
Depends on the track, session length, etc.

My stock pads were okay for 20 min sessions at Atlanta Motorsports Park, which is actually pretty hard on brakes since the speeds are low (minimal cooling) and there are 3 fairly heavy braking zones in the first third of the lap. The problem is not the stock fluid, it's the pads.

If you're going for longer sessions, you probably need to upgrade pads and fluid, but that could be offset by better cooling or less demanding braking zones. In all honesty, the stock tires will give out long before the brakes do. My pedal got a little long towards the end of my 20 min sessions, but the braking distance was generally the same. However, the stock tires shredded their sidewalls down to the cords in just 40 minutes total.

I now run PowerStop trackday pads and SRF fluid with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. No issues on track or street (except some very light squealing when cold).

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Depends on the track, session length, etc.

My stock pads were okay for 20 min sessions at Atlanta Motorsports Park, which is actually pretty hard on brakes since the speeds are low (minimal cooling) and there are 3 fairly heavy braking zones in the first third of the lap. The problem is not the stock fluid, it's the pads.

If you're going for longer sessions, you probably need to upgrade pads and fluid, but that could be offset by better cooling or less demanding braking zones. In all honesty, the stock tires will give out long before the brakes do. My pedal got a little long towards the end of my 20 min sessions, but the braking distance was generally the same. However, the stock tires shredded their sidewalls down to the cords in just 40 minutes total.

I now run PowerStop trackday pads and SRF fluid with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. No issues on track or street (except some very light squealing when cold).
Have you noticed greater stopping power and less fade with the Track Day pads and are you running them front and rear? How's the dust? Is SRF overkill for street? Cheers from Sandy Springs!

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Have you noticed greater stopping power and less fade with the Track Day pads and are you running them front and rear? How's the dust? Is SRF overkill for street? Cheers from Sandy Springs!
Front and rear. Stopping power is maybe a little greater - I didn't notice a large difference in braking point on track or anything. Maybe 2-3 feet shorter stops. However, they have great bite and feel when up to temp, as compared to the stock pads which feel worse and worse the hotter they get.

Dust is a bit heavier than OEM and I would guess the dust is more corrosive to the wheels than the OEM pads. I try to rinse the wheels off weekly and I wash the car on average every other week.

SRF is expensive (I got mine for $68 for the 1L bottle, it's now around $90 at most suppliers because of Castrol's production schedule), but you can go 18-24 months without changing it because of the ridiculously high wet boiling point, as opposed to other racing fluids which really should be changed every 6 months or so.

If you compare SRF to something like Motul RBF660, SRF is actually a better deal because it lasts longer and is a 1L bottle, rather than 500mL. RBF660 is ~$30 a bottle and you need 2 bottles, so you're at $60 and you need to change it 3x as often.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the info. I have a line on a polished metal 2020 through a dealer with what was a March build but who knows with the virus shutdown.
Did you end up getting this out of Arizona? I was talking with one dealer about one and the sales guy didn't know the fleet manager had sold it to someone in WA.

Ended up getting one from a different dealer. Just curious :)

OP
OP

gbhstrat

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4
Country flag
Long term post Covig followup. My son just bought a CTR and will also become a driving instructor starting next season. We will be making several of the recommended mods noted on this thread to get ready for next year. I have not driven the CTR on the track yet. Just got my shoulder replaced so no track days until next year.
Sponsored