Question about maintenance / oil change.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
I got a turbo, (not my daily driver), that's a year old (14 months) with about 580 miles. Dip stick is full and clean, not dark at all. MM has -43 miles. When should I change the oil? After the 600 break in period? Can I reset the MM and keep checking it? I'm worried about changing it too soon because of the FF. How do I even know if my FF has a high moly in it anyway. The manual doesn't say crap. I called a dealer and they said don't change it because of the FF, and another said change it. I can't get a straight/correct answer from anyone.
1. RESET the MM and just watch it. That's what I did to get to 5800 miles. Imo, never accrue negative miles cause that could open up a loophole where your warranty could be null and void.
2. If it was me, I would leave the FF oil in right at 3000 miles in your case. In my case, I drove 5801 miles in 3 months so it was a seamless conversion but my advice to you is to leave FF in there even if you are over a year. Oil doesn't go bad that fast, imo plus you got valuable FF oil in there.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cosmic

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT
Country flag
If and when I reset the MM would the dealer/techs know when, at what mileage or neg mileage, or even the number of months (1 year, 1 1/2 years, etc) I reset it at when I do bring it in for the first oil change? Is there any way for them to check or question this? I could say I reset it by mistake going through the settings, but then they'll say it's over a year old, why didn't you bring it in... My DD car doesnt have this type of MM so that's why I'm confused on what to do here.

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey,

I purchased a used 2016 Civic Touring from a Honda dealership in Richmond Hill, Ontario and I had a few questions about the maintenance.

I bought the car July, 2017 @ 17,000 KMs and now it has 20,000 KMs

1) Oil life shows 80%, I checked the levels today to see if it would need any topping up, but I found the oil appears to be quite dirty, at least to my knowledge (it's almost black). Would this mean that they maybe just reset the oil life without actually changing? -- Not trying to put blame, but just something that crossed my mind.

2) it has the codes A19 underneath the oil icon, is this the maintenance that needs to be done?

Maintenance Minder A (Replace Engine Oil) - $62.88
Minder Sub Item 1 (Rotate Tires) - $37.88
Minder Sub Item 9 (Brake Service & Chassis Inspection) - $169.00

Seems a bit much to have done not having had the car for even 3 months yet.

I'm already planning to contact the dealership, but any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Wow, that's a lot of costs, Mobil 1 and filter 30 bucks DIY everything

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
You cannot determine engine oil life just by looking at it. Used oil looks black. So stop staring at it. If you really want to know, do a used oil analysis. Or just change it out for peace of mind.

+1000
Sponsored