Question about A 1 7 code

First_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EXL Lunar SIlver
Country flag
I'm getting an "A 1 7" code at 50% oil life and 12000 miles. I read that it means to change your oil, rotate tires and change brake fluid. Doesn't it seem odd to do any of that considering what the miles and oil life is at?
Sponsored

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
That is very odd, most likely a software bug.
Typically brake fluid should be flushed at 50k, or even up to 80 or 100k miles. I myself wouldn't touch it just wait until 50k.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Brake fluid flush is time dependent. Read the owners manual. IIRC, brake fluid change is suggested every 2 years. If you have a 2016.. and its 2018.. that's 2 years ;) . Some will say "I've never changed the brake fluid in my life" blah blah.. ok. fine.. I just hope you aren't behind me when I panic stop. brake fluid degrades with time. Its preventative maintenance to flush out the fluid to limit corrosion in the system due to moisture.

A17.., if it was me, would be when the oil gets to 10%, have the A17 service performed.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I used to replace brake fluid on my older cars after around 4-5 years, on my Civic I've done it last summer after two years. It's easy to do.
There isn't much maintenance to do on newer cars now a day that the dealers will come up with things like this to charge you a few hundred bucks.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm getting an "A 1 7" code at 50% oil life and 12000 miles. I read that it means to change your oil, rotate tires and change brake fluid. Doesn't it seem odd to do any of that considering what the miles and oil life is at?
Are you seeing the wrench icon, or are you seeing that code when you switch to the maintenance screen? The maintenance screen will always show the next service required, regardless of oil life %. You will see the orange wrench icon when it's time to do it.

OP
OP

First_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EXL Lunar SIlver
Country flag
Are you seeing the wrench icon, or are you seeing that code when you switch to the maintenance screen? The maintenance screen will always show the next service required, regardless of oil life %. You will see the orange wrench icon when it's time to do it.
Just the code. Thanks for the info. I'll get it done when I need to change my oil.

17SIYoDood

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Country flag
this thread is old but it def answered my question. js it shows to use the search button vs. opening a new thread to beat a horse thats already........ been beaten. i switched to the maintenance screen and there was the wrench and A 1 7. But as the one post said. when its time to do the brake fluid exchange etc.... the wrench icon will pop up on the gauge cluster. but until then it'll always show in the maintenance screen even if you have 100% oil life. because i had the same question as OP. I went to check on my oil life for the first time i looked up the codes... i asked myself brake fluid exchange at 20k? that didnt seem right at all...
Sponsored