First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for this detailed information! It will certainly help a lot of people out.
Sponsored

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry dumb question… did you measure the thickness of the gears to see if they were different, and would that matter for any reason?
Also what tool did you use to measure the diameter? I vernier caliper?

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Thickness or height was same as stock. Used calipers to measure diameter. Bottomed out sensor without o-ring to confirm spacer stack. Everything works now, but indicated speed is half navi speed. I have a 60 mile commute to get home tomorrow. Will check trans temp to see if it's running wa.rmer than usual. Should be around 115F as compared to what it's been, although I will be in 6th gear much of the drive.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
One more thing I noticed this morning on the way into work. The tripometer/odometer/MPG are all off by the same ratio the speedometer is off. Probably need to calibrate the speedo sooner rather than later. Has anyone done this already to help with which wires to tap using the Dakota Digital controller?

My 60mile commute this morning was uneventful. I'll get through this tank of 93 octane and get back on e35 in a few days to start turning the power back up. Oh, when I mentioned gear whine, it's only under load in 3rd and 4th. No whine while in other gears. The whine may be much quieter on stock engine mounts. My Hasport 82a mounts allow you to hear everything going on in the tranny. If you are going to upgrade your gears, you probably won't be on stock mounts anyhow. I'll set the GoPro back up soon and run through the gears so people can hear the difference. Maybe due a pull or two to see how noisy they are.

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
One more thing I noticed this morning on the way into work. The tripometer/odometer/MPG are all off by the same ratio the speedometer is off. Probably need to calibrate the speedo sooner rather than later. Has anyone done this already to help with which wires to tap using the Dakota Digital controller?

My 60mile commute this morning was uneventful. I'll get through this tank of 93 octane and get back on e35 in a few days to start turning the power back up. Oh, when I mentioned gear whine, it's only under load in 3rd and 4th. No whine while in other gears. The whine may be much quieter on stock engine mounts. My Hasport 82a mounts allow you to hear everything going on in the tranny. If you are going to upgrade your gears, you probably won't be on stock mounts anyhow. I'll set the GoPro back up soon and run through the gears so people can hear the difference. Maybe due a pull or two to see how noisy they are.
Whine is expected with that tooth profile, so I was say it's normal. The controller should wire inline I would expect. Switched +12, G, Sig into the box and out to the VSS plug. I would see if it's a standard plug and you can get a male and female plug to avoid any cutting to make a inline harness. Good Luck, can't see you breaking those gears.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I might just splice into the signal wire since the sensor already has it's own power and ground. I'll run power and ground to the controller and mount under the dash. Connecting through BT to the controller should allow me to tuck it up out of the way. There is a low to high terminal to double the PPM, which should be all that I need to do. I'll see if I can fine tune it in the app. Might hook it up after work. Boost is acting strange, so I wonder if the tune is related to speed. Will confirm that once the speedometer is calibrated. Running around the back roads yesterday on the way home, I pulled into my driveway and measured about 150F in several places on the tranny/clutch case. Looking back at my notes, I've seen 145F on a casual ride home, so not far off for hitting boost on the back roads. Will keep my eye on temps for a while just to make sure I don't miss something. Also, while splicing into the VSS harness, I'll pull the sensor and look straight at 3rd gear teeth for any indications of wear. I don't have a lot of miles on 3rd and 4th since I cruise in 6th, but if there was any binding, it should show up by now. Temps are in range of normal, and tooth profile with stiff mounts should make gear whine, so I'm thinking if there isn't any wear, I'll turn the power up tomorrow and start banging on it more.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I just asked Phearable.net (Tuner) if their tune is sensitive to speed and the response was the ECU looks at speed for determining which gear the trans is in. Given the speed is off compared to the RPM and load, the boost response is off by a bit. The car runs fine under partial throttle (low boost), but lazy when asking for power. I need to make the speed correction a priority after work. I'll make sure to add this to the list of things to carry over to my review of the gear upgrade. Learning a lot! I also asked CAPTS if 5th gear is available by itself, but haven't got a response yet.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I pulled a 3-conductor cable through the firewall and was in the process of peeling back the split tubing on the harness to trace the wires to the ground pin on the connector when my wife pulled up and started asking questions. She doesn't know about the new gears, or how much they cost. Had to distract her with a walk. Long story short, I prepared the wiring, but didn't connect the controller. I'll get to it tomorrow after work now that the hard part is done. From what I read, the number of teeth between the CAPTS gear and stock gear allows us to just connect to Out 1 for double the PPM. Should get close, with a little refinement during a drive. Will tap into the power socket wiring for a switchable power source and ground. Already tapped it for secondary head unit, so splicing into that cable will be easy. The voltage to the sensor is only 5V. I was expecting 12V. Further, ground is the blue wire, with red measuring 4.58V and pink measuring 5V. The outside wire (pink) is supposed to be the signal wire from what I found online. I'll tap into that one first and see if it is for sure. if not, I'll solder it back together and try the middle (red) wire. I'll report back when I have everything figured out. Oh, my tranny temp today was between 120F on the sump to 150F closer to the engine block. Looks like the fluid temps are good, and the heat from the engine is conducting over to the trans like it should. I'll probably stop looking at the temps until I can put some real power to it.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
How's this for passing people on the highway at 40mph! GPS speed was 84mph, but can you imagine what people are thinking when they saw my speed at 40. I should be able to complete the speedo controller installation this evening, assuming nothing else pulls me away.

Honda Civic 10th gen Quest for transmission upgrades Highway speed

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Got the sensor tip out. No damage to trans. Only drive 1 block. Will put it back together and try to measure some stuff to space the sensor better. Gear teeth show no wear for the one block I drove. No data to share on that yet.

PXL_20230226_182406435.jpg
PXL_20230226_182355291.jpg
PXL_20230226_182352450.jpg
PXL_20230226_182346508.jpg
PXL_20230226_182342852.jpg
sad to see that you have to reopen the tranny again, yes it's a PITA.
I replied to your msg & bz recently with some track testing.
We have not seen such issue EXCEPT once the technician forgotten the spacer but it did not snap only the metal part was damaged & yes everything goes wonky.
There were others installed same set did not have the issue too but i will double check on next gb config setup here locally with some new upcoming new stuffs.
Yes you will need to recalibrate the speedo via dakota, do let us know when you have done that successfully.
Just write to me directly as usual & i will reply but do expect a short delay have another track day coming up tmr !

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
The larger diameter 3rd gear seems like it would force every installer/assembler to space the speed sensor out another 3mm or so. There is an interference if the stock 1.4mm spacer is the only thing reinstalled. As I was able to determine, there needs to be a factory gap of around 1.7mm between the sensor end and the teeth of the gear. I haven't played with that gap much to determine when the hall effect sensor can't sense over larger gaps. Also, if spaced much more than my 4mm, the O-ring on the sensor may start to come out of the hole. Something to keep an eye on if 3rd gear gets much larger in diameter. I'll detail my thoughts and update the original list of options for tranny upgrades after I correct the speedo. Should be very soon. I would also like to upgrade 5th to round out how I intend to use this car. I've already messaged CAPTS on this request. From what he just told me, 5th is available as a single gear with some waiting. I'll report back as adding that gear becomes more real.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Has anyone requested KTuner to dig up gear ratio tables in the stock ECU? I know that on older gens Hondata has gear ratio tables that can be changed to correct the speedo when gear ratios change.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I'll write them and see.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Nope! KTuner does not have a way to correct the speed. I believe they have some correction for their display unit, but not in the ECU. I'll continue work to install the Dakota part and correct the signal into the ECU. Probably best way. Once I figure this out, I'll share what I learn and move onto trying to break the new gears!

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Got it! Ended up swinging by the dealership where I have a senior mechanic buddy who printed me the schematic for the wiring to the output shaft speed sensor. The middle wire (red) is the signal wire. Splice that and connect a 2-conductor cable to route into the passenger compartment. Grab an accessory switched 12V source (I use powered socket in center console) and chassis ground to wire into the Dakota Digital sgi-100bt interface unit and connect the extended wire from the sensor to the Signal terminal and the wire to the ECU goes to the Out 1 terminal. There are instructions provided, but the easiest thing to do is use default (set to L-L) and follow the instructions for calibration while driving. All you have to do then is press the +INC button to adjust the speed up while driving or the -SET button to adjust down. I used Waze speed in my community to adjust and it worked very well. Trying to manually set each feature was not working. Just adjust it while driving. Got it done within about a mile. Will fine tune on the highway. Boost curve came back and steering firmed up. All seems well for now. Will check other things out in the morning commute and data log to check for gear indications and other stuff that the tune relies on. Still have to figure out how to get Bluetooth to work. Some things are far more complex than necessary.

Honda Civic 10th gen Quest for transmission upgrades Dakota
Sponsored