whymi

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 si, 17 type r
Country flag
I can't figure out if there is still a way to "push" start the car if the battery dies seeing how there is a "push start" button. Is it possible? I haven't figured out how yet.
Sponsored

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I can't figure out if there is still a way to "push" start the car if the battery dies seeing how there is a "push start" button. Is it possible? I haven't figured out how yet.
You need enough voltage in the battery to push the start button twice momentarily (don't depress clutch) to set ignition "on". Dash should light up and fuel pump should turn on. Pop the clutch with the car moving as you would with any other manual car at that point.

OP
OP
whymi

whymi

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 si, 17 type r
Country flag
Yeah, but I was thinking more along the line of older (as in Keyes ignitions) where you just set the key to the on position, even with near 0v, push and pop the clutch. But like you said, need battery voltage... so I guess no then.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
You are referring to roll starting or bump starting. I think our Honda's equipped with manual transmission could be bump started, but I would question how many of us on this forum have actually ever done this with a car. I remember as a kid my brother always parked his VW Beetle on a hill so he could bump start it. I guess we have better batteries or smarter maintenance now a days that this is a dying practice.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
You are referring to roll starting or bump starting. I think our Honda's equipped with manual transmission could be bump started, but I would question how many of us on this forum have actually ever done this with a car. I remember as a kid my brother always parked his VW Beetle on a hill so he could bump start it. I guess we have better batteries or smarter maintenance now a days that this is a dying practice.
Ha why question how many have? Lots of people here in 40s and up. I had a fiero back in the day when I was a struggling early 20 something. Its start broke. I didnt have money to get it fixed so i parked on inclines everywhere, just jumped in rolled , popped clutch .... good to go.

With th he R even if possible, would you want too? This cars transmission and everything is so smooth i really would not want to put it through that.

As for op question . In the key cars the key is turned to position that allows power and the car to run. With the push start, not sure how that is achieved if there is no power to the button at all? I do know in my 15 Si which was push start. My battery acted up and there was enough power to push the button but with second push which is what ya want. The dash went nuts. My 05 civic did same thing and it was key. When put on second setting dash went nuts. Maybe a honda thing? But i wouldn't want to be out push starting a car when the dash is flippin out. There are so many computer and sensors and gizmos cars back in the push start days didnt have. Not to.mention maybe transmission issues trying to do it.

Can tell ya with all the hondas ive had change out that OEM battery after 3 years. It always seems to be the time they start acting up for me.

Good question ive wondered the same. Sorry i dont have a good answer.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Yeah not sure that would work with a completely dead battery like in the old pre-computer controlled cars. I would think you need to have enough juice to feed the computers.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yeah not sure that would work with a completely dead battery like in the old pre-computer controlled cars. I would think you need to have enough juice to feed the computers.
Older cars will attempt to crank the engine if the battery is low -- at least the starter solenoid will engage, even if the starter motor will not turn, it will still draws current so the solenoid drops out .. ie Click - click- click

Modern cars, like the GenX Honda's will not even attempt to start and fire the starter solenoid if the battery is low,,, the computer system will not allow it to get that far, with a flat battery...
(you will not get the click-click-click -- it will just sit there in silence - been there- done that!!)

Now, since the computer is now stopping the car from trying to start, because it detect that the battery voltage is too low, even if you push the car, most of the electronics needed to make the car actually run will be in the not-start state.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
Ha why question how many have? Lots of people here in 40s and up. .
It does not matter how old you are, I am saying this is not a common thing that people need to do to start their vehicles. For the record, I am in my 50's and I have never had to bump start a car.

OP
OP
whymi

whymi

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 si, 17 type r
Country flag
I only ask because I have needed to push start in the past with other cars. And I always considered it another reason why I feel manual transmissions were better than their counterparts.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
buy a jump starter. They can be as small as your phone battery bank.

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Yeah, but I was thinking more along the line of older (as in Keyes ignitions) where you just set the key to the on position, even with near 0v, push and pop the clutch. But like you said, need battery voltage... so I guess no then.
I follow what you're saying. I remember bump starting my dad's old Toyota back in the day.

Problem comes with minimum voltage required on modern cars. The alternator requires a certain voltage to be present to energize the field. That in turn should power the ECU and coils with RPM as you pop the clutch while rolling. Not sure what that voltage is, but it's certainly well above 0. Gone are the days of magnetos, carburetors, and generators. Except in aviation :)

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't plan to try it on the Type R. I remember trying it on my CR-Z and it didn't work. That might have been a different setup because it is a hybrid, but it seemed like no fuel was injected or ignition occured when I let out the clutch.

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
Country flag
Probably heard incorrectly but I thought this was no longer possible with electronically controlled injection?

Warshart

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic hybrid 5mt
Country flag
Whatever do you mean? I just turned 20 and I stumbled across this thread while trying to figure out why I can bump start my 04 hybrid but it doesn’t fully turn on, I’ve done it enough that I don’t need help pushing it without a hill lol
Sponsored