Push Start, cranks 7-8 times then starts, WTF?!?

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
This has happened to me once since the temperature dropped after leaving from work. I am not too concerned because my previous car did this as well when the temperature dropped. It may have something to do with our engines having direct injection. I can't speak for the people in warmer climates though.
Sponsored

1stAznBum

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Country flag
My 17 Si has had this issue 3-4 times too, got the car January this year. It's happened during the spring and summer, and usually after leaving work in the evening with the car sitting in the SoCal sun all day. Adding some more details, my commute is 15 miles one way (roughly 20 min), I'm parked on a very slight incline, and I fill up with Costco 91 octane. Bone stock, right over 13k miles now.

joep10

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I think this is definitely more common then people think, if 3 of us so far have had this happen, even on multiple occasions. I would bet this has happened quite a bit and some may not have even noticed it. Or cared lol
I have same problem ! this has happened to my several times , most times it happens after car is parked for hours, something isn't right

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
My 17 Si has had this issue 3-4 times too, got the car January this year. It's happened during the spring and summer, and usually after leaving work in the evening with the car sitting in the SoCal sun all day. Adding some more details, my commute is 15 miles one way (roughly 20 min), I'm parked on a very slight incline, and I fill up with Costco 91 octane. Bone stock, right over 13k miles now.
May be battery is getting bad

Jairoglif87_Si

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Stock 2018 si sedan
Dame thing happened to me but this would happen when I would leave it without moving it or starting over the weekend. So I got concerned right. I noticed that there was a pattern so on my Monday before I got in my car I started recording before I got in the car and sure enough it did it again. I documented and made and appointment with the dealer. I showed the video. They said they would check the battery and the results came back that my battery was 100%. It's been like 2 weeks now and haven't had a problem since.
Today, after having my days off since Thursday. I took it for a drive and honestly I thought it was gonna do the same thing but it didn't.
I honestly think the wires were loose and they tightened them up.
Car works fine. Hopefully this helps.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
My 18 Si did it once around 30k miles just under 2 years old.

joep10

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Stock 2018 si sedan
Dame thing happened to me but this would happen when I would leave it without moving it or starting over the weekend. So I got concerned right. I noticed that there was a pattern so on my Monday before I got in my car I started recording before I got in the car and sure enough it did it again. I documented and made and appointment with the dealer. I showed the video. They said they would check the battery and the results came back that my battery was 100%. It's been like 2 weeks now and haven't had a problem since.
Today, after having my days off since Thursday. I took it for a drive and honestly I thought it was gonna do the same thing but it didn't.
I honestly think the wires were loose and they tightened them up.
Car works fine. Hopefully this helps.

joep10

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
2018 si coupe purchased 10 months ago ,car had have had this problem several times, has not gone away. Had car into the dealer several time for normal service , mentioned it to them, checked car could not find anything wrong.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I had this problem, as well, when the car sat outside overnight and it was cold (below 50F).

Eventually one day when I started it and it cranked long, while I was driving the dash lit up like a christmas tree. I realized the battery was probably the culprit.

I put in a much higher CCA and RC AGM battery (XS Power D5100R). It cranks significantly quicker under all circumstances now, and when it does sit out overnight in the cold, even the longer crank is a fraction of the time it used to be. I assume our engine architecture is to blame, but the factory battery is not great and exacerbates the issue.

After I replaced the battery, I opened the factory one up to find the electrolyte level was over 1 inch below the top of the plates. I had this issue since the car was brand new, so I assume they underfilled the batteries from the factory causing these common battery problems.
Sponsored