Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You would think this is the case. It's not, if we are talking about loss of lowend torque. This is why I purchased and had installed an Si turbo to replace my stock non-Si turbo. I loved everything about the stock turbo (I'm probably a 1%'er here. Haha) but got greedy and wanted increases throughout the whole powerband. With no compromises. The Si turbo delivered on that, despite the blade differences. See attached dyno plot!

For me, because I own a CVT, it's important that I don't lose any lowend over stock. Of course we don't want too much lowend that would break the CVT belt or cause it to slip. Also...the rods are a concern as well. Despite these, I do not want to lose any lowend. Anything to improve the lowend would be excellent. Be it by more power, less weight, tuning or something else. ;)

With the Si turbo, there are improvements everywhere.

Si Turbo vs Non-Si Turbo.jpg
what fuel & how much boost ?

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I'm making a few heh & a stock crv turbo arriving sometime early next week but I'll upgrade the compressor blade to a billet gtx 11+0. No machining required but of course it'll balanced. Should be able to build boost a tad quicker & rated to go up to 1.9 bar.
Most turbo failures normally happens due to over abuse or pushing it a little too far IMHO.
Looking forward to seeing the result for consideration. I'm not looking for high boost application. 1.5 bar would be the highest turbo pressure I'm targeting. If all good, I'm going to PM you for the quote. :)

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1st of all, everything have it's limits so by pushing it over it's capabilities disaster tends to happen such as the early W1 turbo failures & it has a limit of 27psi do correct me if i'm wrong & every turbo has it's specific efficiency curve but it does NOT mean it have to pushed up or over it's rated limit all the time especially with blended fuel or with the addition of WMI or abusing it with antilag or with lots of pops & bangs this will further damage many other items including the turbo itself.

Some even full throttle for over 2 hours or more on the freeway traveling at a min speed of 200km/h or more at max boost. it's not a good idea imo especially on a tuned car with increased boost or at least have some cooling upgrades. It's on a CVT too. Thank the ECU with it's protection caused the car to have all sorts of warnings with the x'mas light lighting up preventing gear change or any boost, it all went back to normal after cooling down. If the safety have been removed i'm sure something will blow up sooner or later.

There are also people who are obsessed with high dyno chart numbers (for social media) & tries to get more hp/tq by running too lean.

Even not being pushed to it's limits many still abuse by racing their car all the time without proper care or regular maintenance or have the appropriate upgrades to compensate for the added power.

Probability of a poor manufacturing process or assembly or parts failure. Best to go for a well known manufacturer or turbo shop will be best bet.

I had a turbo failed NOT due to the turbo itself but it was poor engine oil quality provided standard by Honda in my country 0-20W (you can request for 0-30W though i did but they mistakenly filled it up with 0-20W) is a little too thin for hot climate here on a tuned civic have caused the oil pump to fail which is quite rare & that lead to a turbo failure without or very little oil flowing through it. The turbo failed on a normal drive with only 2 or 3 gentle pulls on a single gear on a 20 mins drive.

I could be wrong but it's just my 2 cents worth & many other reasons/scenario too.
Great response and thanks for posting. If people want to look at more specifics, please see the following thread ---> Power Metrics and Limitations for the 1.5ltr Turbo (Non-Si)

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
what fuel & how much boost ?
I do not know the specifics on fuel and boost of this dyno graph plot. This picture is a picture I took from of a comparison of the Si turbo vs Non-Si turbo at Innovative Motorworks. I was in a discussion with Drob (Tuner at this shop) on a possible turbo upgrade for my car. I wanted a turbo upgrade that would enhance/increase the horsepower throughout the entire powerband, with no losses anywhere. No compromises! The Si turbo was the only one that fit my demands and he supplied me a visual to see just how it fit my demands. So I took a picture of what he showed me. Immediately after our discussion on this, I sought and purchased an Si turbo for my Non-Si CVT. I am happy to say the least.

It's why I have been able to achieve the 1/4 mile time and trap speeds that I have on the 'weak' and 'economy' CVT, with lower hp than the Type R. And this was without ethanol or nitrous. I did add some race fuel but my car was not tuned for the race gas.

Still not quite done with all this yet.

Joev492

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Newb question here, but on the drob tweet it states 295 WHP on 93 octane. That means the flex fuel kit didn't give any gains as he wasn't running an ethanol mix correct?

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Newb question here, but on the drob tweet it states 295 WHP on 93 octane. That means the flex fuel kit didn't give any gains as he wasn't running an ethanol mix correct?
Correct, ~0% ethanol (93), then mix some e85 and tune with the flex fuel kit to adjust everything.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We all know why the W1 housing cracked lol horrible afr’s. All I know is the W1 has a TD04 CHRA not sure about pure. All in all the W1 from mine will be sold for the ball bearing W2 drop in with a TD05 CHRA
@LilToTo17 Do you think the W2's will suffer the same fate as some of 27W1's (thrust washer failures, or the exhaust wheel physically breaking a fin off). Apparently these are problems that happen quite often. You better get rid of that W1 before it's too late. :p

Last edited:

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@Ap1 George Can you tell us your overall experience with the pure450 i am planning on getting one. What's the difference between this and your previous turbo was it a big difference? how is it performance wise? Please advise. Thanks

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
@Ap1 George Can you tell us your overall experience with the pure450 i am planning on getting one. What's the difference between this and your previous turbo was it a big difference? how is it performance wise? Please advise. Thanks
I only had the stock turbo prior to the pure450. The difference in power is very noticeable and of course the lag as well but it more than makes up for it with a bigger power band and will continue to make power until redline. The price is just around the same as a w1 if you source a used turbo for around $300. I would suggest buying it from two step performance as they don’t charge tax and offer free shipping

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I only had the stock turbo prior to the pure450. The difference in power is very noticeable and of course the lag as well but it more than makes up for it with a bigger power band and will continue to make power until redline. The price is just around the same as a w1 if you source a used turbo for around $300. I would suggest buying it from two step performance as they don’t charge tax and offer free shipping
how much power are you making do you know?

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
how much power are you making do you know?
The turbo should have enough flow to get close to 400whp with bolt ons. Your limiting factor is the stock fuel delivery system, non si 1.5t will make right around 300whp while the si 1.5t will make right around 350whp. My current setup right now being a non si 1.5t should put it right around 300whp

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The turbo should have enough flow to get close to 400whp with bolt ons. Your limiting factor is the stock fuel delivery system, non si 1.5t will make right around 300whp while the si 1.5t will make right around 350whp. My current setup right now being a non si 1.5t should put it right around 300whp
how long have you owned the turbo and have you had any issues?

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
how long have you owned the turbo and have you had any issues?
I’ve had it for half a year now. Around 10,000 sMILES ?. If you need a hybrid turbo now then I would suggest pure over w1, lost faith in w1 turbos but I do have high expectations for the w2. If you’re not in a rush for a hybrid turbo then I suggest wait for the rv6 r365 turbo. With the way the w2 is expected to cost more than the w1 and the r365 behaving like a Garrett gtx2860r with an MSRP of $1299, I just don’t see how people would buy the w2 over the r365.

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I’ve had it for half a year now. Around 10,000 sMILES ?. If you need a hybrid turbo now then I would suggest pure over w1, lost faith in w1 turbos but I do have high expectations for the w2. If you’re not in a rush for a hybrid turbo then I suggest wait for the rv6 r365 turbo. With the way the w2 is expected to cost more than the w1 and the r365 behaving like a Garrett gtx2860r with an MSRP of $1299, I just don’t see how people would buy the w2 over the r365.
i understand it makes sense

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag