Purchasing a 2021 CTR out of state questions

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
Hey everyone! I’m currently in the market for a 21 type r and I have a couple of questions about buying out of state.
I currently reside in CA and sadly most if not all the dealerships are selling a CTR at ridiculous mark ups.
I am willing to buy it at 45k OTD and they still won’t budge. So as of now I am looking to buy out of state and since it will be my first time buying out of state I just want to get all the information I need before doing so.

How do all of the purchasing process work once a deal is made? Do I sign all of paperwork electronically once a deal is made?

How would I go about shipping the vehicle?

Is it better to apply through a FCU or finance through them?

These are the main questions but have a few more later.

Thank you for taking the time and answering my questions!
Good luck with this potential purchase--before buying my CTR, I almost bought one from a dealer in Arizona. I was surprised that their doc fee was about $500, which is by law limited to around $40 here in CA. Make sure you ask about this as it does vary across states, and you do not want to have an unexpected expense. Had I acquired the car in AZ, I would have paid more for it than what I ended up spending at a local dealer, so the trouble of driving to AZ, etc. was not worth it.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Advice: Be careful with the issuing of temporary plates or installing your current plate. Some states (regardless of where you purchase or state you have to drive through) allow/disallow temporary plates or require registration to be 100% completed before driving off the dealer's lot.

Example: I live in Mass and purchased in CT. Mass at one time allowed temporary plates - not any more. I had to wait several hours in CT for my registration confirmation before driving leaving the dealer. Additionally, I was lucky to purchase on a weekday as my home state's registry may not have completed the transfer on a weekend.
The rules in some of your states is straight out of a comic book. "Hey guys how can we make normal life more annoying for everyday people? I know!...."

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
CA allows temporary plates, which in my recent case was a paper one with my actual new plate number. I'm still waiting for my real plates, but I have until March with the temps.

The difference is that my dealer got the CA temp on when it was delivered, and I doubt that BuuZah's out of state dealer would do that. I think he'll need to register it in CA ASAP to get a temporary plate.

gee-dubR32

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GOLF R, 2019 AEGEAN BLUE CIVIC TYPE R
Country flag
so is the LA dealership gonna charge me the TX sales tax there at the dealership? Or am I gonna owe the IRS during tax season?
I've had it done two ways: for my CTR, the out of state dealer did not collect tax (their state or mine). When I got it to Texas and registered, then I paid the TX tax. For another recent truck purchase out of state, the dealer collected the TX tax. They were going to mail themselves but due to COVID they ended up mailing me a check for the county tax assessor in my TX county which I mailed myself when I registered the truck by mail. That took 2 months to register because of COVID closure and slow processing times.

gee-dubR32

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GOLF R, 2019 AEGEAN BLUE CIVIC TYPE R
Country flag
wow, just what I need, 2 fellow texans. @NapalmEnema I believe I will be on the same boat soon as far as buying one in Lousiana. Which one was it that gave you a deal? MSRP?

@gee-dubR32 so did you bring in a pre-approved loan check for however much you think the car is gonna cost with TTL?

As for both of you, I'm dallas area and a trip would be around 700 miles. In your opinion, any thoughts on whether I should drive my current car over for a trade? trailer it there (which will give me a chance to trailer the Type R back)? Or sell it local as is and fly out like @NapalmEnema did...?

Thanks!

Hi, Sorry for the delay. I got mine from Wisconsin. Robert Billig at Zimrick Honda. Great guy and dealership. Made sure I didn't get a drilled bumper too. I also bought parts to do the spare tire retrofit at the same time which they put inside the car for delivery with the car. We completed paperwork via FEDEX exchange. I wired the funds which was cash in account based on final numbers. I don't think you get the tax offset of trading with a Texas dealer vs. out of state. But, more generally, I prefer to not trade a vehicle. Creates too much complexity and too much opportunity for dealer to fudge numbers. I prefer to sell outright to Carmax or Texas Direct Auto (Vroom), get my check and move on. Good luck! -Griffin

Last edited:

NomaR-06

First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I bought mine in OK and I live in SC.

I financed it through my local bank since I got a way better rate than the dealership was trying to give me.

I sold my previous car to Carmax which made coming to a final price pretty easy.

I put a $1000 deposit via CC. The dealer overnighted the paperwork a week or so the car was to be delivered. I signed everything and overnighted a check and signed paperwork in an envelope the dealer sent with the paperwork.

My local bank required insurance on the car before cutting a check to the dealership. Which was no biggie but the car ended up being delayed 3 weeks. So I ended up paying insurance on a car I didn’t have, lol.

I did all the tag and taxes here in SC once the car and paperwork arrived since the dealer didn’t want to mess with it. Again, no biggie and the gave me a temp plate without paying for it. Took me about 45 mins(very lucky and quick) in the DMV to get tag and pay the taxes.

The dealer also handled setting up the shipping of the car to me. I just called the company to pay the $800 and confirm drop off. It was close to 800 mile trip and I didn’t want to make that drive on a brand new car.

I asked them to not drill the front bumper since SC doesn’t require a tag and told them not to mess with the car when it got to them. I got the car just like it left the factory.

At the end of it all, I would do it again. Local dealers wanted $10k over msrp. Any dealers offering Msrp where a couple hours away and had 10 people “in line” to buy one. Took 2 emails to confirm the selling price and me agreeing to it....no bs haggling and sitting in the finance office. Yes, I paid to ship the car but I got the car when I wanted it and no huge dealer markup.

Last edited:

DameX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2019 Hatchback EX
Country flag
Hi Im looking for championship white CTR here in SoCal unfortunately there's a 5k - 10k mark up on MSRP. Any idea that offer MSRP for championship white near socal? Other state is fine. I'm considering purchasing in NV or AZ.
Thanks in advance

type_ramen

First Name
Keiothic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Gonna piggy back off this thread since it got a lot of people. Hope OP don't mind. Anyone (perhaps from TX) traded their car when purchasing their CTR from out of state? Do you still get the tax savings for trading your out of state car to that state's dealership when you register it (on your home state) later? Just wanted to make sure that's the case before I drive my car over there, expecting a $2k tax saving from trading, but turns out not to be the case.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Gonna piggy back off this thread since it got a lot of people. Hope OP don't mind. Anyone (perhaps from TX) traded their car when purchasing their CTR from out of state? Do you still get the tax savings for trading your out of state car to that state's dealership when you register it (on your home state) later? Just wanted to make sure that's the case before I drive my car over there, expecting a $2k tax saving from trading, but turns out not to be the case.
Assuming your current car and new car will be registered in the same state, you should get the tax savings regardless of where the car is purchased (note that not all states allow this type of tax savings). But best to check with your state (TX).

todda

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag

todda

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was considering buying my CTR out of state, but I learned that the tax advantages of purchasing a car out of state only exists if your home state allows them. For example, I learned that living in CA does not allow this incentive, which made the purchase price more comparable vs. buying a car out of CA and expecting some tax benefit. Make sure you look into this, as well as the doc fees which are really cheap here in CA and up to $500 or more in nearby states, when you finalize the deal.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I was considering buying my CTR out of state, but I learned that the tax advantages of purchasing a car out of state only exists if your home state allows them. For example, I learned that living in CA does not allow this incentive, which made the purchase price more comparable vs. buying a car out of CA and expecting some tax benefit. Make sure you look into this, as well as the doc fees which are really cheap here in CA and up to $500 or more in nearby states, when you finalize the deal.
CA doesn’t allow trade in tax credit for an in state or out of state purchase, corrtect?

Last edited:

todda

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
CA doesn’t allow trade in for an in state or out of state purchase, corrtect?
I would Google it yet my recollection is that CA does not offer this trade in incentive--also you pay the sales tax on the car according to our rate, which is around 8 %, rather it was purchased in CA or not.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BBP Civic Type R
Country flag
For anyone that had it shipped, what did you do to ensure the car was in good shape before being shipped out? Obviously you can’t do a thorough walkthrough/inspection when not there in person. Just trying to make sure I don’t get screwed in case there are a few minor dings.

type_ramen

First Name
Keiothic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
For anyone that had it shipped, what did you do to ensure the car was in good shape before being shipped out? Obviously you can’t do a thorough walkthrough/inspection when not there in person. Just trying to make sure I don’t get screwed in case there are a few minor dings.
I think some people may ask the salesman to do a FaceTime walk around before agreeing to let the car go at the previewed condition. When you ship, the shipping company would do the same and have you sign something. Upon arrival, you inspect.
Sponsored