BuuZah

First Name
Aiden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR Boost Blue
Country flag
Hey everyone! I’m currently in the market for a 21 type r and I have a couple of questions about buying out of state.
I currently reside in CA and sadly most if not all the dealerships are selling a CTR at ridiculous mark ups.
I am willing to buy it at 45k OTD and they still won’t budge. So as of now I am looking to buy out of state and since it will be my first time buying out of state I just want to get all the information I need before doing so.

How do all of the purchasing process work once a deal is made? Do I sign all of paperwork electronically once a deal is made?

How would I go about shipping the vehicle?

Is it better to apply through a FCU or finance through them?

These are the main questions but have a few more later.

Thank you for taking the time and answering my questions!
Sponsored

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
Hey everyone! I’m currently in the market for a 21 type r and I have a couple of questions about buying out of state.
I currently reside in CA and sadly most if not all the dealerships are selling a CTR at ridiculous mark ups.
I am willing to buy it at 45k OTD and they still won’t budge. So as of now I am looking to buy out of state and since it will be my first time buying out of state I just want to get all the information I need before doing so.

How do all of the purchasing process work once a deal is made? Do I sign all of paperwork electronically once a deal is made?

How would I go about shipping the vehicle?

Is it better to apply through a FCU or finance through them?

These are the main questions but have a few more later.

Thank you for taking the time and answering my questions!
I bought mine in Wisconsin, i'm located in Colorado. They overnight me the paperwork to sign with all the spots highlighted, and sent a prepaid overnight return envelope and I put my check within it. Shipping; I paid $1100 for enclosed, worth it. I had to schedule that myself so I found someone to do it, call around and get quotes and whatnot. Also some folks on here told their dealer not to clean the exterior of the car. You might get a better rate with an FCU (depending on your score), I financed through the dealer which wasn't too painful, I plan on refinancing at some point. They should ask you if you want the front license plate mounted (i can't remember what the law is in Cali) and unless you want holes in your front bumper I'd tell them no and there's threads here that offer alternatives to mount the plate.

gee-dubR32

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GOLF R, 2019 AEGEAN BLUE CIVIC TYPE R
Country flag
I can share my experience. I bought a 2019 CTR from an out of state dealer in late 2018. I did this because local Texas dealers were charging huge markups and the cars had long waiting lists. That's why out of state purchase is a good option.

Complexity arises if you plan to finance. Some lenders won't deal with transaction that involves a vehicle out of sate. I lined up "cash" which I used to buy the car from the out of state dealer and, once it got here and I registered it in my home state, I financed the car with my lender to replace the cash I used to buy it. Check with your lender to see if they can arrange financing on a out of state vehicle to be shipped to your state.

Q- How do all of the purchasing process work once a deal is made? Do I sign all of paperwork electronically once a deal is made?

A- I put a deposit on the car to hold it. Then arranged all the paperwork with the dealer. I paid sticker. Wire transfer to the dealer. I made sure after paperwork was done to have the car insured with my insurance company to cover any issues.

Q- How would I go about shipping the vehicle?
A- I used a transport broker to arrange it. I paid a premium for covered/enclosed transport. I used Mercury Auto Transport. Charlie Steeves was my contact. It was about $1300. Cost depends on distance or cover. I used the same company to have a used truck shipped a shorter distance uncovered it cost. I recall it was around $600. I would pay extra for new CTR.

Q- Is it better to apply through a FCU or finance through them?
A- See above.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Fly out one way ticket - drive it home. Then you don't have the worry of if your car is destroyed or not etc.. Or rent a car and drive one way - either way I'd want to drive it - touch it - before I bought it.

I flew from Houston to Louisiana and bought mine - saved 6k over the dealership in Houston - was fun driving to that same dealership in my new car for touchup paint. No markup on that!

Rest of it is easy - you register the car in your state and pay the taxes to release your plates and you're done. Get inspected if needed etc..

It was shockingly simple.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Post 2 & 3 above & check with your insurance company to be sure you're covered before the car leaves the selling dealers lot. I'd also make sure the selling dealer does the PDI and encloses that paperwork with the delivered car.

Salespunk

First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, Ram 2500, 328 Wagon
Country flag
You can always finance with Honda and then replace with your own financing when you get back to smooth out the transaction. I had an issue years ago buying an M3 out of state. Got to the dealership to drive it home and ended up having to finance through the dealership due to some complications. Just refinanced a few weeks after I got home.

type_ramen

First Name
Keiothic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
wow, just what I need, 2 fellow texans. @NapalmEnema I believe I will be on the same boat soon as far as buying one in Lousiana. Which one was it that gave you a deal? MSRP?

@gee-dubR32 so did you bring in a pre-approved loan check for however much you think the car is gonna cost with TTL?

As for both of you, I'm dallas area and a trip would be around 700 miles. In your opinion, any thoughts on whether I should drive my current car over for a trade? trailer it there (which will give me a chance to trailer the Type R back)? Or sell it local as is and fly out like @NapalmEnema did...?

Thanks!

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
you are welcome to fly to come to canada and drive the car home, no mark ups here. (not sure about the Covid situation though)

Like someone mentioned, I think it's better to fly, or have a friend drive you to the dealership, test drive the car, then drive it home. Do the papers all there in personal.

It's crazy here in Canada as well; all the dealers have stopped taking orders for 2021, and everyone of them has like 5 or 6 on their waitlist. I bought my 2020 type r in boost blue. It was about 45k in USD everything included. My contact gave me a call one day, and I drove an hour right away to the dealership as the first person to put down a deposit. The person who originally ordered the car last year lost her job during covid, that's how the car showed up.

I still have a deposit on a 2021 type r in PMM. If there's no covid, you are welcome to fly here and I transfer the pre order to you, and you can drive it back to US. I drive you around in my type r too. The pandemic is such a Pain in the A....

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
wow, just what I need, 2 fellow texans. @NapalmEnema I believe I will be on the same boat soon as far as buying one in Lousiana. Which one was it that gave you a deal? MSRP?

@gee-dubR32 so did you bring in a pre-approved loan check for however much you think the car is gonna cost with TTL?

As for both of you, I'm dallas area and a trip would be around 700 miles. In your opinion, any thoughts on whether I should drive my current car over for a trade? trailer it there (which will give me a chance to trailer the Type R back)? Or sell it local as is and fly out like @NapalmEnema did...?

Thanks!
These guys were great to work with and no games - I settled on a price - flew in - drove home no issues.

https://www.teamhondaofacadiana.com/

I'd sell your car and fly out and drive the new car back you don't want to mess with trailering and such imo. Or just drive a rental one way as an option.

I ended up going there and working out financing with them because they said there wouldn't be games there either. There weren't and I got a great deal through them so left happy. Financing is something you can easily do ahead of time, or adjust when you get there. There are so many lenders out there it shouln't be an issue.

Good luck bud!

type_ramen

First Name
Keiothic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
These guys were great to work with and no games - I settled on a price - flew in - drove home no issues.

https://www.teamhondaofacadiana.com/

I'd sell your car and fly out and drive the new car back you don't want to mess with trailering and such imo. Or just drive a rental one way as an option.

I ended up going there and working out financing with them because they said there wouldn't be games there either. There weren't and I got a great deal through them so left happy. Financing is something you can easily do ahead of time, or adjust when you get there. There are so many lenders out there it shouln't be an issue.

Good luck bud!
I found 1 slightly over MSRP, but i saw LA tax is lower than TX (6.25% vs 4.45%). I think the difference might not be too bad. Just the drive tho...

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I found 1 slightly over MSRP, but i saw LA tax is lower than TX (6.25% vs 4.45%). I think the difference might not be too bad. Just the drive tho...
You pay the taxes in the state you register in. So you should be good there. Just drive it bro, the drive home is sublime in the new car and also you skip the Covid nightmare that is air travel lol.

Post up pics when you snag her! Don't miss out on this car - zero regrets getting her.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hit em up hard a bit - say "Look I'm driving in and buying this can we settle at MSRP else I found another one a bit further away that would be willing to hit MSRP but I prefer your color' then see what happens.

Rent car - drive home the sweetness.

type_ramen

First Name
Keiothic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
You pay the taxes in the state you register in. So you should be good there. Just drive it bro, the drive home is sublime in the new car and also you skip the Covid nightmare that is air travel lol.

Post up pics when you snag her! Don't miss out on this car - zero regrets getting her.
so is the LA dealership gonna charge me the TX sales tax there at the dealership? Or am I gonna owe the IRS during tax season?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so is the LA dealership gonna charge me the TX sales tax there at the dealership? Or am I gonna owe the IRS during tax season?
I believe how it went is that the state, TX, holds your registration/plates until you pay them the taxes or in my case, I believe the dealership sends the taxes directly to the registrar in Texas that you stipulate based on your address. I'd just talk to the finance people for the dealership you land on and ask them the in's and outs of it. They do this more regularly than I did but I do remember it being pretty painless all things considered.

Whippleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Firebird Trans Am, CTR
Country flag
I bought mine out of state about 1.5 years ago and the dealer would not charge me Texas tax and remit on my behalf. I had to pay the sales tax at the county tax office when registering it in Texas.
Sponsored