Purchasing 2020 Civic Si, have questions.

Ungle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
So I currently own a 2016 Honda Civic LX that has 117k miles that I will be trading in. I have an appt. tomorrow to go see a 2020 Civic Si and wanted to know if there are any tips for me or questions I should ask the dealer. This will be my first manual car and introduction into modding, I would appreciate any help.
Sponsored

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
At the end of offer negotiation, say you will take the offer if you throw in the all weather floor mats for free.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
If it were me; I'd seriously find a local CarMax and spend 30 minutes getting an offer. Then you know, generally, what the real wholesale value is of your current car.

There's too many unknown variables in your equation. And you can get robbed with any one of them. With a CarMax offer; you can at least have an alternative. But even if they get close to the trade in's actual value; you'll likely get a line about how the Si is a high demand car, they sell them all day for sticker, etc.

If you're planning to finance; do it with your own bank.

Lastly... it kinda' sounds like you've already tipped your hand that you're hot for the Si. I'd be more casual about it. Don't sign anything. And don't be pressured by claims of COVID-19 production delays, extremely low interest rates by the government, etc. Make your decision with a cool, calm head and not a hard-on.

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Iā€™ll mirror that you should get preapproved for financing through your bank or credit union, along with a Carmax offer for your trade. These 2 are just basic homework so you have a baseline for negotiations.

Honda has some pretty good loan terms for good credit. Iā€™m at 1.9%... thatā€™s like a high yield savings account APR.

Avoid pricing that revolves around monthly payments. You should be talking about the price of the car, and it should only go down from the MSRP.

Avoid conflating the car price with your trade in value. These are separate things and should be addressed separately.

Thereā€™s a reason they push add ons like ā€œprotectionā€ and extended warranties, and I promise that itā€™s not because they donā€™t make buckets of money off of folks buying those things. If you wouldnā€™t spend hard cash on what theyā€™re offering, donā€™t finance it. Itā€™s still money.

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Good advice here. I don't think you necessarily HAVE to go to a CarMax though. I work in the car business and am a salesman. Just do your research on what your trades worth and have paperwork in hand when you go into the dealership.

Go to https://www.kbb.com/ and print out what your trades worth. Don't try and bullshit yourself...the car is only going to be considered "Good" and make sure that it says "Dealer Trade in" and not private party. Take that with you. This shows the salesman that you are serious and you did your homework beforehand.

Dealers usually always will be able to get you the best interest rate because we deal with banks all day long. You are only going to get the 1.9% APR if you have really good credit (750+) and it's going to have to go through Honda Financial. Of course - subject to credit approval. You can always refinance later if they can't get you a great rate. The market is great for buying a car right now. Trades are worth more, low APR's on new cars...now's the time to buy...

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Good advice here. I don't think you necessarily HAVE to go to a CarMax though. I work in the car business and am a salesman. Just do your research on what your trades worth and have paperwork in hand when you go into the dealership.

Go to https://www.kbb.com/ and print out what your trades worth. Don't try and bullshit yourself...the car is only going to be considered "Good" and make sure that it says "Dealer Trade in" and not private party. Take that with you. This shows the salesman that you are serious and you did your homework beforehand.

Dealers usually always will be able to get you the best interest rate because we deal with banks all day long. You are only going to get the 1.9% APR if you have really good credit (750+) and it's going to have to go through Honda Financial. Of course - subject to credit approval. You can always refinance later if they can't get you a great rate. The market is great for buying a car right now. Trades are worth more, low APR's on new cars...now's the time to buy...
Carmax offered $2k over KBB's value for my car, if you have one nearby absolutely go get it appraised. It's quick and they're very friendly.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Sell your car through carvana, or at least get a quote.... then go to the dealer.
Sponsored