Purchased First NEW car ever today, Civic LX Manual

trenchik

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Cavalier Z24, 2003 350Z, 1991 Firebird.
I just put down a deposit today for a LX. The only thing I knew for certain was I must have a manual transmission. I had some conflict of whether I should get an LX, SI, or a WRX. Pretty much I was told either go all in, and get an STI or nothing $40kish, as in a settle on an LX (less than half the cost of the STI). I don't want to call it nothing, but it was the practical option as I drive 20k miles a year (so gas mileage matters), and this car is intended to be the replacement for my Cavalier, 1994 z24 which i had since 2003. I also have a 350Z which kind of tamed my desire for another higher performance car. Anyways the only manual they had in stock was that metallic gray, and I wasn't a fan of the color. I drove it, I was okay with the performance, then they had a black lx and it however really caught my eye. I loved the color but it was a rubberband transmission. Either way the dealership ended up finding me a Black LX in a manual, and yeah. So they asked for a $500 deposit, then things got crossed, and I ended up putting down $1,000. Either way, they set the cost of the vehicle at $18,386, plus taxes and tags (Pennsylvania), i was OTD at $19,800. Now I have to wait until Monday or Tuesday for the dealership to get the car in their show room. I just have these mixed feelings about it, maybe it's buyers remorse, or maybe it's just me being conservative with my money. I just don't know what to think? Maybe If i actually had it for the weekend I'd feel better about the decision. Performance wise I am not looking for a beast, but kind of wish it had just a little bit extra pick up, but I didn't get a chance to really feel it. I also like the fact it's NA, but I just wish I could find a few more HP in it, 15-20 would do this thing a world of difference. Appearance wise the only thing that bugged me was the steel wheels, but aftermarket wheels can be had relatively easily. While I am at it, some nice sticky rubber will be nice for the summer. I'd probably keep the steel and original rubber for the winter. As for the purchase - I mean did I do the right thing? should I just march back there and sign up for that SI? Should I run down to Subaru and get that WRX even if it's a non-STI? I still feel like I made the right idea with this, but how do i get over these jitters? Will I feel better when I am actually driving the car?
Sponsored

OP
OP

trenchik

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Random fact ... part of my selling point on this car was that I do some running around in Southern Ontario ... and I like the fact that I can switch the speedometer from KMH to MPH with a push of the button.

But what you are saying is i could have got a canadian civic even cheaper? the hell?

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Random fact ... part of my selling point on this car was that I do some running around in Southern Ontario ... and I like the fact that I can switch the speedometer from KMH to MPH with a push of the button.

But what you are saying is i could have got a canadian civic even cheaper? the hell?
Southern Ontario fellows here, Congratulation on your new purchase. I too just bought a new hatch few weeks ago. Black is also my original pick but my wife vote for white (extra $300)... because she said black car very hot in the summer.. darn it, the summer here isnt even long!! anyway, happy wife happy life, I settle with white.
I have it for few weeks now, I enjoy driving it eventhough i dont drive it on daily basis.

Which part of Ontario do you visit often? Hope to see your car here in canada..

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
"put down a deposit" and "purchased" are two very different things...

But anyway. I would suggest that you go test-drive the Si, preferably back to back with that LX, before making your final decision.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I say stick with the LX for now and see how it goes for a year with the performance and gas mileage. You have the color, manual trans, and NA that you like plus you can tune it if you want that extra performance.
I have a 17 Si and I get around 26MPG strictly city driving and I drive pretty slow..if I drove a little more spiritedly I'd probably get 22-24MPG. Yes, Highway would be 35+ MPG.
The main advantages of the Si are outstanding performance, great seats, very stylish; not overkill like the Type R. Everything else in the Si is nice but not noteworthy enough to write about. Do you think this is worth 5-6K more?

Ionnaeus

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback
Got my 2018 black LX hatchback about 5-weeks ago. Was driving the tires off my F150 commuting about 90 miles per day +-. I wish had gotten the Sport. It will be a great car as is but only after some tint, seat covers and weathertech style mats. My next car will be a type R. I'll call it my mid life crisis car.

OP
OP

trenchik

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. With tax and fees here in Ontario that LX Manual is about $25,000 if you pay full retail.
Many pay a little less, but it is still a lot more in Canada than it is in the US.

Don't believe everything that you read on the internet.
Especially if it is "What I paid..." or "My mileage is...";-)
$25k Canadian is about $19K American ... that's apples to apples isn't it? i'mcurious what'd you get for what I'd get.

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2001 Acura CL Type-S
Country flag
Get the rv6p catless downpipe, aem intake and a ktuner tuner ... it help pick up massive power... I went from
140WHP (158hp) to 160WHP (180hp) with those mods.

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last year around this time I also bought an LX as I needed a car quickly and I really liked the new line of Honda's. I had just started working my first real job out of school and was a little nervous dropping 20k+ on a new car, so I kind of justified my decision by going with the LX instead of the Si. ($19,500 vs $24,700 I think at the time)

Well a few weeks ago I sold my LX and bought an Si. I travel a lot to see family and visit friends in other states, and the LX was fine for that, but I wasn't really enjoying it. I really wanted something with a more sporty feel and that is why I sold it and bought the Si. The LX also lacked many features that I ended up buying to install into it anyways (aftermarket touch screen head unit, fog lights etc). In the end I ended up spending about the same as a higher trim would've cost just to make it resemble a higher trim. I really wish that I would've just bought the Si from the beginning, as I lost about $3,000 with the depreciation of my LX in that year when I sold it.

I am not trying to convince you to spend more money, but am just providing you some food for thought. I don't know your life situation or what you value. But an extra ~$5,000 for a much better car is worth it in my opinion. You're buying a Honda, so this car is going to last you a very long time. Like I said, do what you feel is right for you. If you are anything like me, when the new car honeymoon phase wears off you will probably wish that you would've spent a little more. Just wanted to share my experience.

I am not talking down on the LX drivers here! It was a great car, just not enough for me and what I wanted.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Adding a tune might give you that little extra you're looking for. The get up and go factor was monstrously affected by the tune I applied to my NA car, even with a "rubberband" transmission. An extra $450 (or less for a resold Ktuner) is definitely worth it. Completely livened up the engine.
Sponsored