Purchased 2018 Civic LX / A good Purchase?

macher52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
Hi excited that I purchased a 2018 Civic LX with 8,900 miles on it. Love the drive so far.

After doing some Googling after the purchase I discovered that the 2018 has potential air condition compressor and / or condenser issues? My ac feels fine but to me this isn’t good.

Any other issues I should be looking out for? Was this a good purchase in terms of reliability etc? Cause I’ve read that the air conditioning blowing out warm with not many miles. I read one instance where it started blowing out warm at around 10k miles!

I do have the CPO 12 month / 12k and also purchased Honda Care 5 years / 70k.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

macher52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
honda has a lifetime warranty for 17-19 condensers, if it ever shits the fan you'll be covered
Thanks hypocritically let’s say I need a condenser does this mean I’ll always have to get one or the new one will last?

any other issues that these years have besides the condensers?

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks hypocritically let’s say I need a condenser does this mean I’ll always have to get one or the new one will last?

any other issues that these years have besides the condensers?
im not entirely sure how that works but i think if you have a 17-19 and it continues to go faulty you will be covered.

i'm not too sure about the issues surrounding a 2.0 but from what i know, they will generally be more reliable than the 1.5 counterpart.

oil dilution was an issue in earlier years, not sure if it may apply to you too.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I don't know how, but I am pretty sure that there is a way to see if your car's vin is on the list that has the extended warranty on the condensor. And you might check with the dealership if the condensor or any other a/c components have already been replaced.

The a/c system on these cars are crap. We have a Honda tech on this forum who says that the condensors, compressors and evaporators are all faulty and don't last long. They leak refrigerant and stop blowing cold air. Don't expect your a/c to last 15-20 years like Honda's of the past. And they are VERY expensive to fix.

As for if your car is a good deal or not depends on how the previous owner treated it. If they drove it hard and didn't maintain it well, your CVT could wear out early. If they treated the car well, it could last 200,000 miles.

Last edited:

OP
OP

macher52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
I don't know how, but I am pretty sure that there is a way to see if your car's vin is on the list that has the extended warranty on the condensor. And you might check with the dealership if the condensor or any other a/c components have already been replaced.

The a/c system on these cars are crap. We have a Honda tech on this forum who says that the condensors, compressors and evaporators are all faulty and don't last long. They leak refrigerant and stop blowing cold air. Don't expect your a/c to last 15-20 years like Honda's of the past. And they are VERY expensive to fix.

As for if your car is a good deal or not depends on how the previous owner treated it. If they drove it hard and didn't maintain it well, your CVT could wear out early. If they treated the car well, it could last 200,000 miles.
ok thanks. The other poster said the condenser is warranty for life?

The car only has 8,900 miles. How much can the CVT be affected with this many miles?

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Generally speaking... yes. It's a great car.

AC issues are well-documented. There's tons of threads.

Your LX, I believe, has the tried and true 2.0, non-turbo engine. It's pretty solid.

You also don't have all the Honda Sensing features that can become mis-calibrated or just stop working (with a Times Square style crawl of system warnings across the cluster). No keyless entry (unless you have the LX-P). It's a more simple, more traditional layout.

Look into buying some Gutter Guard (again... many threads already) to protect your condenser. It's cheap insurance.

You can also easily upgrade your radio without having to deal with losing a lot of the integrated controls. The higher trim levels make this almost impossible because of the extra and more complicated features.

OP
OP

macher52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
Generally speaking... yes. It's a great car.

AC issues are well-documented. There's tons of threads.

Your LX, I believe, has the tried and true 2.0, non-turbo engine. It's pretty solid.

You also don't have all the Honda Sensing features that can become mis-calibrated or just stop working (with a Times Square style crawl of system warnings across the cluster). No keyless entry (unless you have the LX-P). It's a more simple, more traditional layout.

Look into buying some Gutter Guard (again... many threads already) to protect your condenser. It's cheap insurance.

You can also easily upgrade your radio without having to deal with losing a lot of the integrated controls. The higher trim levels make this almost impossible because of the extra and more complicated features.
Thanks! Makes me feel good after reading about the ac issues. I’m a simple guy and don’t need all the bells and whistles. Yes my LX has the 2.0 non turbo.

OP
OP

macher52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag

Let’s say you get the ac system parts replaced when they crap out does that mean they’re always going to be the same issues or are the issues from the factory and when you get them replaced you’re good?
Sponsored