Pulsating sensation in car under heavy braking

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 "Clifford" Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2015 Civic EX 5MT
Country flag
Hey guys,

I've been driving my CivicX for about 2 months now, bought it used from a dealership @ 40,000kms and so far so good. I noticed recently when I'm coming off an off-ramp on the highway or sudden braking on the highway occurs, my brakes start to pulse after extended braking.

I'm usually going around 100km/h-130km/h, coming down from there and progressively adding pressure on the brake pedal causes the car to have a "jolting" sensation. At low speeds, this doesn't happen. Is this ABS or are my rotors warped?

Thanks all!
Sponsored

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
My first thought would be rotor warped. If it JUST happened, sometimes brake pad will grab the rotor and instead of warping it, there is like fused pad on the rotor and sometimes just driving and braking will wear it back down.

But it is possible the rotor got warped. i warped mine once when i had to do a "panic" stop when someone decided to swerve in front of me while already slowing down for traffic stoped on the highway. And that was in my ridgeline that has pretty beefy rotors.

Another thought - and i doubt it for your age of car. but, on my ridgeline - the front face of the rotor looked fine. but the back side was basically rusty moon surface. I never really checked the backside of the rotors, and apprently through many tire rotations and "safty checks" it was never noted. It explained funky braking and feelings in the pedal and ride feel. New rotors fixed that.

Sometimes, i have found that if a rim is bent, it can have a similar feeling. You could try rotating tires and see if the issue stays or goes away.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Check the rear rotors. If you live in an area where the roads are salted, the face on the rotors literally starts to fall apart from rust. It's a known issue in my area. You'll clearly see it. Happened on both of our civics('15 and '16). My mechanic buddy said it's an issue in other vehicles that use those same rotors as well. He recommends when people replace them, that they use an aftermarket rotors and oem pads and that shouldn't happen again.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
pulsating pedal generally is because of warped rear rotors. check rear rotors and see if honda replaces it for free. I read some posts where honda replaced the rear rotors for free

OP
OP
GreaseCrow

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks all, I'm gonna have this check. It seems like most of the "grooves" or weirdness is in the passenger front side of the brake rotor. I'll have honda take a look at it and see if they'll do any work for free, if not, aftermarket rotors and brake pads it is

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Thanks all, I'm gonna have this check. It seems like most of the "grooves" or weirdness is in the passenger front side of the brake rotor. I'll have honda take a look at it and see if they'll do any work for free, if not, aftermarket rotors and brake pads it is
let us know what the dealer said after looking at your rotors

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
Not happy I'm reading about so many poor quality components on these cars after solely buying a civic based on its 30 year history of outstanding quality.

I see a lot of brake and suspension jobs in my near future and am not happy about it.

My old charger might have run like crap and guzzled gas but it went 240,000km on the original suspension before anything wore out...

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Not happy I'm reading about so many poor quality components on these cars after solely buying a civic based on its 30 year history of outstanding quality.

I see a lot of brake and suspension jobs in my near future and am not happy about it.

My old charger might have run like crap and guzzled gas but it went 240,000km on the original suspension before anything wore out...
I was pissed off with the quality issues with the 10th gen Civics ranging from A/C problems, bolt/stud failures, rusting brake components, cheap paint. The 6th gen Civics were not like this.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Hey guys,

I've been driving my CivicX for about 2 months now, bought it used from a dealership @ 40,000kms and so far so good. I noticed recently when I'm coming off an off-ramp on the highway or sudden braking on the highway occurs, my brakes start to pulse after extended braking.

I'm usually going around 100km/h-130km/h, coming down from there and progressively adding pressure on the brake pedal causes the car to have a "jolting" sensation. At low speeds, this doesn't happen. Is this ABS or are my rotors warped?

Thanks all!
Had this on the wife's car, warped rotors. Did you have the car parked for an extended period of time before this happened?

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
The 6th gen Civics were not like this.
∆∆ I second that. ∆∆
I STILL have my '98 Civic and the only problems I had were due to lack of proper maintenance before I got it. I put about $1k into parts/repairs (not counting the 10.5:1 Y8 motor rebuild I'm doing for future swaps) it's been a beast of fun and reliability. Only had to rebuild the Y7 cuz the car & motor was severely worn TF out @130k. Grabbed a High Compression Z6 head (cuz a Y7 sucks without VTEC, Lol) & dizzy, 90oct E-Free.. that thing hits 90whp at like 5500rpm (Torque Pro.apk) and I still have another 1000rpms to go.. TBH, I'll work on that car anyway and not sweat much. This new 10th Gen tho, I have warranty so I'm terrified to work on it beyond some minor wiring (cuz I'm usually good at that, being an electrician). ?

Dyim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SE
Country flag
If there is decent pad and rotor thickness left, turning the rotors might do the trick if it is rust related.

Dyim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SE
Country flag
I was pissed off with the quality issues with the 10th gen Civics ranging from A/C problems, bolt/stud failures, rusting brake components, cheap paint. The 6th gen Civics were not like this.
Simply cost cutting.

I have had 3 generations of odyssey and it is the same. You can see the quality going downhill.

OP
OP
GreaseCrow

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Had this on the wife's car, warped rotors. Did you have the car parked for an extended period of time before this happened?
I only owned the car for 2 months, drive it every couple of days. Dealership only had it for 24 hours before I swooped to get it, so it seemed like an issue prior.

let us know what the dealer said after looking at your rotors
Spoke to my dealership rep that I purchased the car from and am poised to call the local dealership on Tuesday. My rep said to keep in contact with him on what they say and that it should be covered under warranty.
Sponsored