PTP Turbo Inlet Pipe Blanket

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can tell the difference just by touching the inlet pipe. Before the blanket, after normal driving, the inlet pipe was too hot to touch. With the blanket, even after spirited driving, the inlet pipe is barely even warm. Install was not fun, especially trying to get the bolts lined up at the turbo with the thermal gasket on there. There are no holes in the blanket to accommodate the harness at the bend in the inlet, but not really needed. Fewer holes in the blanket the better.

Honda Civic 10th gen PTP Turbo Inlet Pipe Blanket B194EE7D-AB0D-4B0A-8CA3-BDD2E4CC573E

VTECnR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R
Country flag
You can tell the difference just by touching the inlet pipe. Before the blanket, after normal driving, the inlet pipe was too hot to touch. With the blanket, even after spirited driving, the inlet pipe is barely even warm. Install was not fun, especially trying to get the bolts lined up at the turbo with the thermal gasket on there. There are no holes in the blanket to accommodate the harness at the bend in the inlet, but not really needed. Fewer holes in the blanket the better.

B194EE7D-AB0D-4B0A-8CA3-BDD2E4CC573E.jpeg
I called PTP about this and they recommended making my own tiny hole, small enough for the bolt and not the head. This way, the wider head pinches everything shut so it won't fray. Worked great!! And now my harness is held far away from the pully.

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 WW EVO 9 MR 548AWHP @ 30psi w/ E85; 2018 CBP Civic Type R #21151 - DD
Country flag
I can understand the blanket on the intake pipe, but I can not for the life of me understand why honda put that metal pipe directly above the turbo. Like any heat shielding is going to do much. This is probably the best option to keeping the temps down. Everything else i'd ceramic coat.

The blankets over time trap moisture which in turn causes corrosion or rust. This is why I went with Tirado Custom Coatings to Ceramic coat (gold) all the hots parts. Plus unlike the blankets, the ceramic coating doesn't bulk up the pipe size, get in the way, tear, or wear off. it's permanent. The cost to ceramic coat my Tomei pieces for my EVO were roughly 240 shipping, that tubular manifold, o2 housing, and downpipe. Can't beat that price. I'm still wondering why on earth so few have decided to ceramic coat their hot parts when most go the blanket route. Try retaining the heat in the exhaust, maybe this could potential bring down the temps, more than trying to prevent heat soak of the cold side parts.
To make my point clearer, I had a friend go from blankets to ceramic coating to prevent his brake lines from heating up to the point of boiling. They would boil quickly without anything, much less with the blanket, but still the fluid will boil because this car's brake lines are adjacent to the manifold. Ceramic coating eliminate the boiling all together.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
No one showed any real comparative data.
I will clarify one thing. IAT is MAF IAT2 is post intercooler. It will be real clear as full throttle IAT drops while IAT2 increases which is conducive of more airflow over MAF lowering temp and compressed air post turbo increasing temp. There is a lot of fluctuation with stock intercooler as it’s so poor at removing heat that even opening throttle can actually bring temp down with more air. It is much more evident with large intercooler sitting at idle IAT stabilizes while IAT2 continues to climb until you get moving.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bringing back a old thread! Just have a question.. Do you offer a inlet blanket that doesn't have the cutout for the earth dreams badge for the CTR? Thanks

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Bringing back a old thread! Just have a question.. Do you offer a inlet blanket that doesn't have the cutout for the earth dreams badge for the CTR? Thanks
Hey there! They actually all come without the cutout now!

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag