ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Mu top shield is held on by two bolts. One on top thats under the intake pipe and one on the right side that attaches to the downpipe. I didnt attach the bottom bolt due to difficulty level. No need to put holes in the downpipe blanket because it comes with all holes needed from the factory to use with your heat shield
F2D4DF5F-4FEC-4A4D-953D-69E5779580B7.jpeg

25BD3CC4-7A3D-494E-905B-3A2358679584.jpeg
Can the downpipe elbow blanket be installed without removing the downpipe itself? Same for the turbo blanket?

Hypergolic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CR-V, 2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Think of the walls in your house. During 150 degree hot summer days you run your AC to keep the inside of your house cool. If your walls weren't insulated than your house air wouldnt be able to reach 50 degrees and keep you cold. Same thing with insulating exhaust or intake pipes. When you're driving in 50 degrees weather and its 150 under your hood, you want your intake pipes to be insulated well so that they can keep that cool 50 degree air from getting too warm by the time it reaches your engine.
If you are wrapping something other than intake or exhaust pipes than you're statement is true because the items being wrapped would not be trying to cool or heat themselves and would eventually reach the same temperature as their surroundings.
Thanks for the response. I imagine the heat dissipation of the blanket material helps quite a bit as well keeping the temperature planes (hot exhaust versus engine bay) separate.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Can the downpipe elbow blanket be installed without removing the downpipe itself? Same for the turbo blanket?
Some have said they were able to. I tried the method in the following video. After 30 minutes of swearing, I decided to remove the downpipe.

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
Wow that video of Coat Hanger Geppetto ... no way would I have the patience for that...

Is the Elbow Blanket something you can install as WELL as the full Blanket,... or is it one or the other?

https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/co...roducts/honda-fk8-downpipe-elbow-blanket-lava
https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/co...ets/products/acura-honda-3-5-downpipe-blanket

It seemed like maybe one would choose the Elbow if one wants to save some money and/or has other plans for the rest of the DP (e.g. tape)... and if not then one would choose the Full Blanket.

Thanks!

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
If anyone has the new PTP downpipe elbow blanket please post some thoughts on it. I'm also wondering if you can retain the factory heatshield with this blanket. I think that using this blanket along with reflective heat tape on the intake tubing and heatshield would really help keep the IAT down without the use of a turbo blanket which can lead to hotter coolant temps and possibly oil overheating in the turbo.
da_Civic_FK8_Lava_Downpipe_Elbow_Blanket_540_large.png
You should start where the heat gets the hottest and that is the turbo exhaust side. A turbo blanket and a tip blanket brought my iat2 temps down significantly and no on the heat shield

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Wow that video of Coat Hanger Geppetto ... no way would I have the patience for that...

Is the Elbow Blanket something you can install as WELL as the full Blanket,... or is it one or the other?

https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/co...roducts/honda-fk8-downpipe-elbow-blanket-lava
https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/co...ets/products/acura-honda-3-5-downpipe-blanket

It seemed like maybe one would choose the Elbow if one wants to save some money and/or has other plans for the rest of the DP (e.g. tape)... and if not then one would choose the Full Blanket.

Thanks!
The full dp blanket can degrade the cat faster if you still have one that is why the elbow blanket is better

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
once wrapped my downpipe on my Subaru and when I finally took it off years later it had created a ton of rust that wouldn't otherwise have been there.
Same exact experience.

I'd wrap a garage queen car - but something that sees the rain and such? Never again thanks. If you go that route pay to have it ceramic coated or address the areas of concern around it with shielding instead. That wrap is trash.
Sponsored