snwmble

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 Porsche 911, 90 BMW 325iX, 21 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
My 2021 Civic had the paddles prematurely fail. Car only has 9k miles and had those cheap Amazon paddle extensions 3M’d onto the stock ones.

Recently noticed the paddles had dead spots where it wouldn’t shift unless pressed in certain locations. Went to rip them off, and ripped half of the stock paddle. I thought hey maybe the dealer will warranty since the other paddle malfunctioned but naturally they didn’t. Dealer wanted $500/per paddle installed!!!

bought the parts for $90 online and swapped them out this evening. FYI, install is fairly easy MINUS removing the the steering wheel control buttons. For anyone tackling this job or swapping steering wheels, good luck getting those steering wheel control buttons without breaking the clips. For manual cars you can access the tabs from behind the wheel, but with the paddles it’s not accessible.

Anyone else have these paddle buttons fail prematurely on them?

Honda Civic 10th gen PSA paddle shift extensions killed my OE paddles 13D46F1E-9D39-4D7E-8BAD-8A8095E6AEE1

Honda Civic 10th gen PSA paddle shift extensions killed my OE paddles D17DD850-6C27-4A06-860F-77B494F74FBD

Honda Civic 10th gen PSA paddle shift extensions killed my OE paddles 3FBB0FA9-FC67-4945-A2F7-184244EB3CB2

Honda Civic 10th gen PSA paddle shift extensions killed my OE paddles 3B9FA11E-14FA-47C0-B8A2-76354C8AE6B0

Honda Civic 10th gen PSA paddle shift extensions killed my OE paddles 1A976071-6002-4CC2-9739-F15B557D142C

19CivicSportNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
Dang that sucks. At least the paddles work now! How hard was it to remove them? Do the steering wheel controls have to come off first? All the tutorials I see online lack paddles. I plan to swap my steering wheel out on mine due to a shop scratching my wheel (which is a long story in itself).

OP
OP
snwmble

snwmble

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 Porsche 911, 90 BMW 325iX, 21 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
Dang that sucks. At least the paddles work now! How hard was it to remove them? Do the steering wheel controls have to come off first? All the tutorials I see online lack paddles. I plan to swap my steering wheel out on mine due to a shop scratching my wheel (which is a long story in itself).
im pretty mechanically inclined and did my research before removing. Thought it would have been easy but there really is no easy way to push out the steering wheel control buttons on a wheel with paddles, as the paddles themselves get in the way of accessing any of the tabs that hold the controls. You are really left with brute force and a prayer. The tabs are angled too which make it trickier. I broke one on one side and two on the other. I had to use putty jB weld to reattach the controls on the controls where i broke2 tabs, as it wasn’t holding on well.

19CivicSportNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
And yes the controls have to come out first since the screw that holds the paddles sits behind them
Oh yay, more parts to buy... :(
I'm not mechanically inclined as I would like.
But, I've swapped a steering wheel before on two separate cars. The Civic just scares me a bit with all the clips and screws.

Here's one that I thought was a pain.
Honda Civic 10th gen PSA paddle shift extensions killed my OE paddles 20220611_002538

It's a Focus RS wheel in an Escape. The PITA part was installing facelift parts onto a pre-facelift car.
Sponsored