ABP CTR
Country flag

wtam1100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I was literally just looking at them and then I saw your post. Not knowing the weight they seem really similar specs n price to NSX wheels I think I rather rock NSX wheels but its just a matter of personal preference. Those look good also.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
That's bold - $681 for a made in China "forged" wheel without any specs.

I want to see the weight.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Based on wheel specs, these wheels were custom made for autox street class. Likely relatively low volume produced, hence the relatively high price (economies of scale). Weight should be should be very low if target audience is autoxers.

Forged One doesn't have a website and is likely an in-house TireRack "brand".

I thought there was a shortage of NSX wheels, but I haven't paid much attention in the last year. If someone needs a set and can't wait for NSX wheels, these are probably your best bet.

NSX wheels have +55 while the Forged Ones are +53, slight advantage to FO due to wider track. Also, I believe you need a lug bolt to lug nut adapter to properly torque the NSX wheels. I think the NSX wheels use lug bolts instead of lug nuts.

tldr: these wheels are meant for autoxers who want the last 10th second of an edge and not your general mass hella flush crowd.

Last edited:

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
Based on wheel specs, these wheels were custom made for autox street class. Likely relatively low volume produced, hence the relatively high price (economies of scale). Weight should be should be very low if target audience is autoxers.

Forged One doesn't have a website and is likely an in-house TireRack "brand".

I thought there was a shortage of NSX wheels, but I haven't paid much attention in the last year. If someone needs a set and can't wait for NSX wheels, these are probably your best bet.

NSX wheels have +55 while the Forged Ones are +53, slight advantage to FO due to wider track. Also, I believe you need a lug bolt to lug nut adapter to properly torque the NSX wheels. I think the NSX wheels use lug bolts instead of lug nuts.

tldr: these wheels are meant for autoxers who want the last 10th second of an edge and not your general mass hella flush crowd.

I just purchased a set of NSX wheels for autocross. Haven't had a chance to take them out, but can help clear up a few things here.

The "shortage" on NSX wheels is mostly a shortage of them at a discount price. I haven't meet anyone who's gone to a dealership and ben willing to pay full MSRP be denied. There are many dealers that will order you a set, but most want near/full MSRP. I was able to get mine through an online dealer for 580 a wheel, so a bit under what these are going for. That said if you are willing to play the trial and error game, you can contact different online dealers over and over until you can find them for far under MSRP.

Lug Nut vs Lug Bolt will not matter. The wheels fit on the existing lugs as is without issue. The only consideration is the 22mm lug nuts that come stock with the CTR are VERY tight with the NSX wheels (they were designed for 19mm, so the clearance is very small on 22mm's). You can either get a thin walled 22mm socket to avoid scuffing the NSX wheels and use the stock lugs, or buy after market spherical lugs, which are a bit pricey for any good options (there is a GREAT thread on this already). I went that route, and grabbed some Ti Porsche lugs, as I also wanted the color to match.

Honestly at this price point I would go with the much cheaper Motegi's or stick with the NSX wheels. I'm not sure who the audience really is, as anyone willing to pony up that much will want way more info than unlisted specs for these.

Edit: Looks like these are heavier than the NSX wheels as well. 20.3 lbs for these vs 19.2 for the NSX. I believe Motegi's are around 23lbs, while stock is ~28ish? Means it's a good savings over the Motegi/Stock, but you'd still be better to get the cheaper and lighter (and more reputable) NSX wheels over these.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I just purchased a set of NSX wheels for autocross. Haven't had a chance to take them out, but can help clear up a few things here.

The "shortage" on NSX wheels is mostly a shortage of them at a discount price. I haven't meet anyone who's gone to a dealership and ben willing to pay full MSRP be denied. There are many dealers that will order you a set, but most want near/full MSRP. I was able to get mine through an online dealer for 580 a wheel, so a bit under what these are going for. That said if you are willing to play the trial and error game, you can contact different online dealers over and over until you can find them for far under MSRP.

Lug Nut vs Lug Bolt will not matter. The wheels fit on the existing lugs as is without issue. The only consideration is the 22mm lug nuts that come stock with the CTR are VERY tight with the NSX wheels (they were designed for 19mm, so the clearance is very small on 22mm's). You can either get a thin walled 22mm socket to avoid scuffing the NSX wheels and use the stock lugs, or buy after market spherical lugs, which are a bit pricey for any good options (there is a GREAT thread on this already). I went that route, and grabbed some Ti Porsche lugs, as I also wanted the color to match.

Honestly at this price point I would go with the much cheaper Motegi's or stick with the NSX wheels. I'm not sure who the audience really is, as anyone willing to pony up that much will want way more info than unlisted specs for these.

Edit: Looks like these are heavier than the NSX wheels as well. 20.3 lbs for these vs 19.2 for the NSX. I believe Motegi's are around 23lbs, while stock is ~28ish? Means it's a good savings over the Motegi/Stock, but you'd still be better to get the cheaper and lighter (and more reputable) NSX wheels over these.
Oh nice, TireRack finally updated info with weight :D I could have sworn when I was initially researching rims and tires for my CTR that the Motegi's were listed at 21 pounds and change vs the 22 pounds and change they are listed at now; probably my imagination though. I though stock was around 30 lbs each, but alas I'm also a pound off and a dollar short. The 2021 LE is supposed to drop 5-ish pounds off of the 20" rim though as well which should be interesting, but really expensive too.

OP
OP

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag

Where'd you find NSX rims for that price? I remember a year or so ago, Acura had locked down NSX wheels pretty hard. They required dealers to get a VIN from customers to purchase the wheels. It was easy for them to flag too since it's pretty obvious when someone is buying 4 fronts.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having options are nice. Considering there weren't a lot to choose from in terms of DS legal wheels. I think NSX wheels are still the best "default" higher priced option from a weight/quality standpoint. The ease of purchasing is an issue as is the lug nut socket thing(I have a turned down impact socket I use with mine). Motegi are probably the best default since they are relatively cheap and not that heavy. These aren't as light or that cheap but easier to get than NSX wheels. But they are different so at least people have another option to choose from I guess.

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
Where'd you find NSX rims for that price? I remember a year or so ago, Acura had locked down NSX wheels pretty hard. They required dealers to get a VIN from customers to purchase the wheels. It was easy for them to flag too since it's pretty obvious when someone is buying 4 fronts.
I purchases from Bernadi because of the free shipping, having ordered from them in the past and a lower price when I ordered. However you can still find these for around 580 a wheel if shipping makes sense to your location to keep the cost down.

https://acura.bernardiparts.com/Products/Acura-19-Front-Wheel-Y-Spoke-(NSX)__08W19-T6N-200B.aspx

https://www.acurapartshq.com/oem-pa...MInv-AkufA6QIV4wl9Ch3DwgbzEAQYBCABEgI8iPD_BwE

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Country flag
I saw those a few days ago at the TR site. Nice, but pricey!
I've got the Motegi's with RE71R's. The stock wheel and tire combo is 52 lbs. The MR924 with RE71' is 47.8. Saving a little over 4 lbs. per corner. These were purchased specifically for autocross D Street class.

Mcsinc

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 S2000, 2018 CTR CW CTR
Country flag
trucke: what tire size for that weight combo?

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
I saw those a few days ago at the TR site. Nice, but pricey!
I've got the Motegi's with RE71R's. The stock wheel and tire combo is 52 lbs. The MR924 with RE71' is 47.8. Saving a little over 4 lbs. per corner. These were purchased specifically for autocross D Street class.

The Motegi's should perform even better on the 2020 CTR with the new brake rotors
Sponsored