[PSA] CLEAN YOUR INTAKE FILTER

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just wanted to give a friendly reminder to everyone to clean your intake filter! ESPECIALLY if you have a cold air intake.

My Si is the first car I’ve modified so I’m still new on the whole upkeep and maintenance of various parts. Lately my fuel trims have been super off (-15 - -20% LTFT) and running very rich. I’ve been getting a lot of backfire from the exhaust because I assume there is too much fuel in the mixture.

Got my PRL Cobra CAI back when it first came out and I NEVER cleaned the filter since purchasing :doh: (almost 2 years!!)

As you can see... my filter was extremely filthy and I most likely wasn’t getting proper air flow which in turn caused incorrect fuel trims.

(Lol weren’t these filters red at one point? Whoops!)
Honda Civic 10th gen [PSA] CLEAN YOUR INTAKE FILTER CFED4C79-CFE0-40DB-B542-179C0431F385

Honda Civic 10th gen [PSA] CLEAN YOUR INTAKE FILTER D0C7D0B1-04D1-4C45-812B-4D7096E5EBE9

So now that I’ve cleaned and re oiled the filter, my fuel trims have now gone back to normal range! Plus the car definitely feels smoother and seemed to have gained a bit of power now that everything has stabilized again. I also ended up getting one of those Injen Hydroshields to try and keep the filter clean longer (plus the added benefits of preventing hydro lock).

So once again... CLEAN YOUR FILTERS!

ElmoHongZito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just wanted to give a friendly reminder to everyone to clean your intake filter! ESPECIALLY if you have a cold air intake.

My Si is the first car I’ve modified so I’m still new on the whole upkeep and maintenance of various parts. Lately my fuel trims have been super off (-15 - -20% LTFT) and running very rich. I’ve been getting a lot of backfire from the exhaust because I assume there is too much fuel in the mixture.

Got my PRL Cobra CAI back when it first came out and I NEVER cleaned the filter since purchasing :doh: (almost 2 years!!)

As you can see... my filter was extremely filthy and I most likely wasn’t getting proper air flow which in turn caused incorrect fuel trims.

(Lol weren’t these filters red at one point? Whoops!)
CFED4C79-CFE0-40DB-B542-179C0431F385.jpeg

D0C7D0B1-04D1-4C45-812B-4D7096E5EBE9.jpeg

So now that I’ve cleaned and re oiled the filter, my fuel trims have now gone back to normal range! Plus the car definitely feels smoother and seemed to have gained a bit of power now that everything has stabilized again. I also ended up getting one of those Injen Hydroshields to try and keep the filter clean longer (plus the added benefits of preventing hydro lock).

So once again... CLEAN YOUR FILTERS!
I think am having a similar issue. Is there a good video somewhere that shows how to clean and re-oil the filter properly? I have never done this and want to make sure I purchase the right stuff and do it right.

OP
OP
ne0guri

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think am having a similar issue. Is there a good video somewhere that shows how to clean and re-oil the filter properly? I have never done this and want to make sure I purchase the right stuff and do it right.
It’s very easy to clean, I don’t know what kind of intake you have, but I have PRL so I purchased the cleaning kit on their site:

https://prlmotorsports.com/rechargeoilandcleanerkitblue.aspx

All you do is remove the filter and spray the crap out of the it with the cleaner. Let it soak for 15-20 minutes and then wash it with water (spraying the water from inside the filter to outside). I actually did this process twice because of how Dirty the filter was. Then you let it dry (shake off excess water) and then spray the supplied oil.

I should have made a video, but it was my first time cleaning the filter so I didn’t think about filming.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
You need to state how many miles you had your intake before you realized you had issues.

Lola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I should have made a video, but it was my first time cleaning the filter so I didn’t think about filming.
and please explain, what is this mysterious “filming” of which you speak? o_O

OP
OP
ne0guri

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You need to state how many miles you had your intake before you realized you had issues.
How many miles is pointless which is why I stated I never cleaned it in 2 years. Everyone goes through different driving conditions so it’s just best to check it if:

A. You have KTuner and can see unusual fuel trim ranges

B. Just do it or check it when doing an oil change

But the box on the recharge kit states that you should clean it once a year or every 20,000 miles and even sooner if you drive in extreme conditions.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I change my stock air filter every 10k miles. You should probable be checking and cleaning aftermarket ones at the same time. About 10k miles and you are most likely going to notice a good amount of crud.

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
K&N's kit works as well:

https://www.amazon.com/99-5000-Aerosol-Recharger-Filter-Service/dp/B00029WYEY

Cleaning is easy:

• Remove filter
  • Spray the cleaning solution all around the filter and let it soak for a minute before rinsing off with water
  • Repeat until all the dirt is gone
  • Let the filter dry completely
  • Spray the oil over the filter till it is nice and evenly coated
  • Let the filter dry completely
  • Reinstall filter

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
Filming = taking a video.
Maybe you are jesting, but if not, I am guessing that you belong to the younger age group (videos are taken via digital mediums now) :D

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I think it may be related, in some way, to the strange "road maps" which I have heard spoken of by some.

Last edited:

bgutierrezx

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic ext 4dr sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
as obvious as it seems you're right, I'm in the same boat. I haven't cleaned mine in two years. might just do that this weekend. Good excuse to buy parts at harbor freight ha. im blowing it with air & calling it good since my injen filters says to not use "cleaners"

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I just buy a new one from Honda each year.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Filming = taking a video.
Maybe you are jesting, but if not, I am guessing that you belong to the younger age group (videos are taken via digital mediums now) :D
I still refer to it as, "taping it" so... yeah. My kids one time called me out in it, thinning I was going to use scotch/duct tape to do something... (sigh). Made me want to tell at them to get off their lazy butts and go adjust the tracking. I was the designated tracking-adjuster-kid, being the youngest out if my siblings.
Sponsored