PSA : clean out your fuel filler drain

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Mine was clogged and was letting water enter the gas tank causing the car to intermittently lose power.

Honda Civic 10th gen PSA : clean out your fuel filler drain tmp-cam-9132605171591839805
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
How do you clean it out?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I’m curious as well and what was the cause why it got clogged?

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's just a small drain hole to let the water out the rear of the gas door area. I think it had a dead bug stuck in it or something, I just poked it out with a pick tool and flushed it with some water.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
If you have the 18/19 cap. Not an issue... cap basically covers the inlet completely when shut.

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I saw that on the newer models, it might help keep the water out but the drain hole still needs to be cleaned.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So, the water sitting at the bottom splashes up into the filler while driving?

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Im almost certain that was happening. I was trying to diagnose a random cut in power that happened shortly after a hard braking or occasionally a quick turn.

When I filled up the other day ( I havent been driving alot so I didnt notice, this is prob the 4th time I've filled up in as many months) I noticed a puddle in there. So I filled it all the way up with water and went for a drive, as soon as I hit the brakes and took off again it missed real bad. I cleaned the hole out and drained it the rest of the way, got gas, and so far so good..

The car has been stored in a carport its whole life so far, I lived kinda in the middle of nowhere so the carport light would attract alot of bugs...although I keep the car pretty clean, I'd get alot of bugs and spider webs and stuff stuck in the nooks and crannies. This plus moving it to uncovered driveway to get rained on probably contributed.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Mine was clogged and was letting water enter the gas tank causing the car to intermittently lose power.
Honda Civic 10th gen PSA : clean out your fuel filler drain a.JPG

Wait a moment... that little thing there should be a hole? I have the same problem and never even knew it was an actual hole.

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah it was so clogged it looked smooth at a glance. I don't have the best eyesight so I had to clean the plastic area before I could even see it. The drain hole is visible in the picture posted above with the updated "inner cap".

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Yeah it was so clogged it looked smooth at a glance. I don't have the best eyesight so I had to clean the plastic area before I could even see it. The drain hole is visible in the picture posted above with the updated "inner cap".
I have no problem with my eyes and I still thought it was just a small dent or something. I have to clean it. Thanks!

Gritto

First Name
Moving
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Im almost certain that was happening. I was trying to diagnose a random cut in power that happened shortly after a hard braking or occasionally a quick turn. Local moving services address company g&j moving. When I filled up the other day ( I havent been driving alot so I didnt notice, this is prob the 4th time I've filled up in as many months) I noticed a puddle in there. So I filled it all the way up with water and went for a drive, as soon as I hit the brakes and took off again it missed real bad. I cleaned the hole out and drained it the rest of the way, got gas, and so far so good..
The car has been stored in a carport its whole life so far, I lived kinda in the middle of nowhere so the carport light would attract alot of bugs...although I keep the car pretty clean, I'd get alot of bugs and spider webs and stuff stuck in the nooks and crannies. This plus moving it to uncovered driveway to get rained on probably contributed.

Yes, I had the same situation

Last edited:

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had this issue too, had a lot of junk that falls from my trees, pollen, pieces of helicopters just all kinds of junk.
You can clean it by jamming a wire tie or really anything like that in it.
I put some foam weather strip around the lid and never had the issue again.
Sponsored