CT0760

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring, Blue
Country flag
I live in the suburbs of Chicago and go in to the city every so often; this year the city has already had near 200 car jackings (since 01-01), and honestly I feel concerned about my car being an appealing target for theft.
I was wondering if anyone on the board installed extras in their car to stop theft or jacking of their car or if they thought the car fob protection felt like enough (im thinking if you're jacked while the car is on then you're still screwed)
Sponsored

ts13

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Well, this happened to me. So, yes it can happen. Mine was taken from me at gunpoint, fob was taken from my pocket. I was outside of the car at the time. It happened so fast there was nothing I could do, both hands full... Other than a visible "Club" not much is going to deter these carjackers. I do have the "Faraday" bag for the fob when I am at home. Of course that is only for the signal boosting type of theft. It does do what it says it does. I have tried to open the doors and hatch with the bag (w/ fob) in my pocket- no go. CAr and jackers found a week later - Trashed. 16k to repair - 3 months without the car. All I can say is pay attention to your surroundings and be safe out there. This isn't just a "city" problem, it happens in suburbia as well.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should know better than to go into the city. Filled with POS who have no respect. Besides a car jack, you should be more concerned about getting murdered.
Your best defense is to carry a large dog in your car, if you have to go to, I'll call it HELL.

ts13

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
You should know better than to go into the city. Filled with POS who have no respect. Besides a car jack, you should be more concerned about getting murdered.
Your best defense is to carry a large dog in your car, if you have to go to, I'll call it HELL.
I would think in Chicago the dog would just be another victim of gun violence, if they really wanted the car. sadly.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
have a sound/rim shop install a viper system

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Figured the car hackers would have better taste.

OP
OP
CT0760

CT0760

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, this happened to me. So, yes it can happen. Mine was taken from me at gunpoint, fob was taken from my pocket. I was outside of the car at the time. It happened so fast there was nothing I could do, both hands full... Other than a visible "Club" not much is going to deter these carjackers. I do have the "Faraday" bag for the fob when I am at home. Of course that is only for the signal boosting type of theft. It does do what it says it does. I have tried to open the doors and hatch with the bag (w/ fob) in my pocket- no go. CAr and jackers found a week later - Trashed. 16k to repair - 3 months without the car. All I can say is pay attention to your surroundings and be safe out there. This isn't just a "city" problem, it happens in suburbia as well.
Sorry to hear that, just....wow. ☹

Thankfully my car is parked in a locked garage under our apartment building, but yeah a small part of me is thinking of taking the train into the city now when possible, or uber

OP
OP
CT0760

CT0760

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
have a sound/rim shop install a viper system
Had to look it up, I like that remote kill feature and how the car in motion can possibly alert cops to the fact that the car is currently being stolen and then when stopped cant be started again

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since I don't live somewhere were car theft is happening I have no protection in my car. But in other countries I saw a lot of these steering locks:

Honda Civic 10th gen Protection against Car Jacking lenkradschloss-mit-zwei-schluesseln_6

Honda Civic 10th gen Protection against Car Jacking KFZ-Diebstahl-Lenkradschloss-Auto-Schloss
Honda Civic 10th gen Protection against Car Jacking 51pQgF11XtL

OP
OP
CT0760

CT0760

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Since I don't live somewhere were car theft is happening I have no protection in my car. But in other countries I saw a lot of these steering locks:

lenkradschloss-mit-zwei-schluesseln_6.jpg

KFZ-Diebstahl-Lenkradschloss-Auto-Schloss.jpg
51pQgF11XtL.jpg
Regrettably more often this happens at gunpoint after the car has started or when youre parked or at a stop light or something; if I get something, Id want it to be something more subtle where I can activate it, and it has a delayed response so I can get away from the gunman

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Deleted member 26142

Getting robbed at gun point is a big reason why I Conceal Carry a Glock19 with a IWH (In Waist Holster) if a gun is pointed at me then sure I'll get out of the car or throw you the keys if I'm outside but don't be surprised when you have a hole in the back of your neck.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Had to look it up, I like that remote kill feature and how the car in motion can possibly alert cops to the fact that the car is currently being stolen and then when stopped cant be started again
I just looked at the Viper website & they mentioned a Failsafe Starter Kill, but said it was to protect a parked car. Which product can kill a stolen car that's already on the move?

OP
OP
CT0760

CT0760

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just looked at the Viper website & they mentioned a Failsafe Starter Kill, but said it was to protect a parked car. Which product can kill a stolen car that's already on the move?
I said when stopped it cant start again, when the car stops; granted it doesnt actually stop the car itself, but when the car flashes lights and alarms uncontrollably when in motion after having been stolen, its likely not going to be getting far, either by a thief who panics, or the police who mark the activity suspicious or criminal

Yeah i wish there was a literal remote kill, but then it would bring risk where the car could a danger to not just the fool thief driving, but to any innocent bystander who would regrettably be near it
Sponsored