Protecting your carbon fiber pieces

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I already purchased the EVS front spoiler and will soon add either the EVS or Varis CF spoiler. Curious how you guys are protecting your CF parts from yellowing / fading / clouding. Hell - don’t even know if EVS / Varis add a true clear cost to the CF. Or just come cheap gel coat with no UV protection.

Is it worth taking both pieces to a body shop for a UV protective clear coat? Don’t even know what they would charge. Or to just apply a cost of wax every few weeks. Will be moving to FL so sun may be an issue.
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
if you want it to guarantee to not fade, take it to a bodyshop and have them clear it.

almost all of the carbon parts are gel coated and not cleared.

You can prolong the life of it by waxing it or ceramic coating but eventually it will fade if you have it exposed to the sun constantly.

OP
OP
ToofHurts

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
if you want it to guarantee to not fade, take it to a bodyshop and have them clear it.

almost all of the carbon parts are gel coated and not cleared.

You can prolong the life of it by waxing it or ceramic coating but eventually it will fade if you have it exposed to the sun constantly.
Thats what I figured. Just don’t want to spend more on the clear coat option then the actual cost of the piece. Haha

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Thats what I figured. Just don’t want to spend more on the clear coat option then the actual cost of the piece. Haha
if you dont mind a diy, you can wet sand it and then spray some 2K clear like the guy above linked

if you get it done at a shop, probably cost you 100-200 a piece to clear.

oh yeah, if you do use 2k clear, the hardener/catalyst contains isocyanates which isnt really good for you so make sure to wear a respirator.

Last edited:

Chrisp1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Type R, 12' Mustang, 05' STI
Country flag
things like wax and sealants will do nothing, they often fail within weeks. Ceramic coating would be the more durable long lasting option if anything but still. You can certainly clear coat your components but if you don't want to get into paint work I often use Paint Protection Film such as Expel to wrap the pieces as I've done for myself and for our customers. Works great and a good film will have a warranty against discoloration :thumbsup:

zuzu.hallak

First Name
Zuhair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX coupe
Country flag
things like wax and sealants will do nothing, they often fail within weeks. Ceramic coating would be the more durable long lasting option if anything but still. You can certainly clear coat your components but if you don't want to get into paint work I often use Paint Protection Film such as Expel to wrap the pieces as I've done for myself and for our customers. Works great and a good film will have a warranty against discoloration :thumbsup:
Mine already did! what should i do?

Honda Civic 10th gen Protecting your carbon fiber pieces tempImage4LJ66T

Honda Civic 10th gen Protecting your carbon fiber pieces tempImage3cDRKy

Honda Civic 10th gen Protecting your carbon fiber pieces tempImageR8MQb0

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
As others indicated, your best guarantee is high quality PPF like XPel Ultimate Plus or 3M Scotchgard Pro.

theangelofspace15

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Im think about ceramic coating the while car. I was told it would be around $1200 including paint correction needed. Will it be best to PPF or ceramic coat? Or I should ceramic coat (eith professional) and DIY PPF parts like bumpers and fenders?
Sponsored