tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
From what I have read, the wheels are tucked in so far for aero/drag purposes. Having the wheels so far inside the fenders makes for less wake/turbulence being produced by the wheels and disrupting the smooth airflow around the sides of the car. Who knows
To add to this, offset is also used to mitigate torque steer in combination with the overall suspension geometry ;)
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To be sure, after coming from a 2017 SI to a 2018 CTR this past week, the CTR is ultimately faster, but the SI actually seems to have had more torque a bit lower in the range, and was very responsive, but just didn't have the legs. About the time the SI was saying 'no mas', the CTR is still happily revving and accelerating. Much more fun wringing out the CTR. I can't say there is no turbo lag.

But at least there is no rev hang, and the extra room on the tach really adds to the driving experience. No, it won't hit 8,000 or even 7,500 like some classic VTEC's of old, but it is fine going to 7,000 and overall it just works.

Handling is the best that Honda has ever produced outside of a motorcycle. Even the S2000, several - the original 2.0 L, the 2.2 L, and S2000 CR, which I had the privilege to take out, were not nearly as good as the CTR. Yeah, I said it. They were horrible at anything less than 9/10, while the CTR is fine as a daily driver, and will be just as ferocious as you want it to be. And they were a bit scary, handling wise. Which some driver's like. I like to remain shiny side up, on the actual road. The CTR will not try to kill you. Unlike some fast cars out there. Looking at you muscle cars, older 911's,, etc.

Pros: You could buy a CTR for the seats alone. Or the amazingly good ride. Or the handling (my hot button). . Or braking. Or steering. Or engine. Or hatchback space. Or styling. Or reliability. Or great insurance rates- mine didn't change. Or mileage for its class. Or visibility.

Cons: So what's not to love? A large turning circle. very occasional gear grinding- if you speed shift. In a full week of driving - one 1st to 2nd gear grind. That's it.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
The CTR will not try to kill you. Unlike some fast cars out there. Looking at you muscle cars, older 911's,, etc.
So true - I was lazily following a Merc and he almost spun out into opposing traffic trying to prove something on a 2 lane back road.

Type R is a driver's scalpel. It's so good.
Sponsored