Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2005 BMW M3, 2008 BMW 335i, 2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
Grit Guards are a staple in any maintenance setup. Well worth the (relatively) small investment!

As KMG mentioned, they are all the same size. However, I keep a 3.5 gallon in the boot of my car. It has a gamma seal lid to keep any water and suds inside as well, which really makes washing on the go a breeze.

I have 2 buckets and no grit guards, I guess I should get those, but they come in a few different sizes? I'll measure my buckets and see what I need to get...
Sponsored

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've actually just clay barred my car and I used water + soap just so it removes all of my wax off the vehicle, is that a good idea?

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've actually just clay barred my car and I used water + soap just so it removes all of my wax off the vehicle, is that a good idea?
The only time it is advisable to use a dish soap (assuming that's what you're using) is if you are 1) Working in the shade, and 2) Know what you're doing.

Dish soap or any soap and clay bar will NOT necessarily remove wax. If you need to strip the wax, simply drive it and it will naturally deteriorate and die on it's own. After a couple weeks do a wash with dish soap, followed by a wash with dedicated shampoo, and you're good to go.

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The only time it is advisable to use a dish soap (assuming that's what you're using) is if you are 1) Working in the shade, and 2) Know what you're doing.

Dish soap or any soap and clay bar will NOT necessarily remove wax. If you need to strip the wax, simply drive it and it will naturally deteriorate and die on it's own. After a couple weeks do a wash with dish soap, followed by a wash with dedicated shampoo, and you're good to go.
Doesn't clay bar give scratches on your vehicle?

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Doesn't clay bar give scratches on your vehicle?
In this instance, they were simply referring to the Clay Bar removing wax which is what I was addressing.

However - incorrectly using a clay bar can instill damage to the paintwork. Even with proper usage, you will typically see some microscopic marring to the surface.
In the same breath - if you use a lesser aggressive clay with plenty of lubrication and knead / replace often, you shouldn't see any major damage by any means.

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally I wouldn't use clay on a vehicle unless I was going to polish it afterwards. As Tyler mentioned you will see micro marring 9 times out of 10 when claying a car. Most people really don't have the eye to notice the marring and will never know the difference. However when you are trying to maximize gloss this will have an effect on the finish.

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
In this instance, they were simply referring to the Clay Bar removing wax which is what I was addressing.

However - incorrectly using a clay bar can instill damage to the paintwork. Even with proper usage, you will typically see some microscopic marring to the surface.
In the same breath - if you use a lesser aggressive clay with plenty of lubrication and knead / replace often, you shouldn't see any major damage by any means.
Personally I wouldn't use clay on a vehicle unless I was going to polish it afterwards. As Tyler mentioned you will see micro marring 9 times out of 10 when claying a car. Most people really don't have the eye to notice the marring and will never know the difference. However when you are trying to maximize gloss this will have an effect on the finish.
When you're trying to maximize gloss on a vehicle how would you do that?

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When you're trying to maximize gloss on a vehicle how would you do that?
Any flaws in the finish will effect the amount of gloss the finish has. The finish on my Si is pretty poor, with quite a bit of orange peel from the factory. I still have no intention of leveling (sanding) the exterior of the vehicle as this is a daily drive and not a show car. Honestly a good paint correction is the key to achieving a glossy finish. While sealants, wax or coatings will help boost the gloss level its the prep work that will actually provide a majority of the gloss. A flawless finish is the key to gloss.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
A flawless finish is the key to gloss.

Definitely. Above is an interesting interview on the subject of gloss with the training manager of the company that makes Rupes brand polishers. He doesn't tell you HOW to get more gloss, but his explanation of what makes a finish glossy is pretty interesting if you're a nerd like me.
Sponsored