Proper First Detail

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
Hello all,

This was briefly talked about in the main CTR thread, but I just wanted to get something in a cohesive thread on the first detail procedure.

As we all spoke about, obviously decline detail from the dealer, but then what?

Do we have a list of dedicated materials for the first go? Is there something different to use for that first one rather than every one after that?

Any details are appreciated. (Wash, Wax, Sponge, etc Types!)

Thanks!
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag

This guy seems pretty authoritative. Only downside is he only recommends his own products rather than stuff you'd be able to pick up locally. But I think his mantra of "touch the paint as little as possible" is a good one.

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2005 BMW M3, 2008 BMW 335i, 2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
I'm actually going to be doing a write-up on what my process is - as well as what an alternative 'lesser' version would be.

Keep an eye out for this!

Prelude2CivicX

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 6 Speed M/T, 2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport, 1997 Lexus SC300
Country flag
Josby thanks for that vid you posted a lot of great info! I love doing my own details and am very specific when doing so but this dude is on a whole different level. Lol. But definitely lot of knowledge on there for sure.

KMG

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2014 Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Hello all,

This was briefly talked about in the main CTR thread, but I just wanted to get something in a cohesive thread on the first detail procedure.

As we all spoke about, obviously decline detail from the dealer, but then what?

Do we have a list of dedicated materials for the first go? Is there something different to use for that first one rather than every one after that?

Any details are appreciated. (Wash, Wax, Sponge, etc Types!)

Thanks!
What products do you currently have on hand? New car prep really isn't much different then dealing with any other car.

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
What products do you currently have on hand? New car prep really isn't much different then dealing with any other car.
some of us, haven't had a car worth (in our minds) the time to detail properly, we want to start out with the best possible information for DIY at a reasonable cost.

KMG

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
some of us, haven't had a car worth (in our minds) the time to detail properly, we want to start out with the best possible information for DIY at a reasonable cost.
I will work on putting together a package that members of the forum can purchase @ a discounted price from Detailed Image if that is what everyone is looking for.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Everything you need to know about properly detailing a car:

Attachments

OP
OP
GSquared

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
I have Meg Gold Class, some Meg Wax, some of that Optimum No-Rinse Wash+Wax, bunch of microfiber towels and that's about it. I don't have anything in terms of clay though.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I know many will say you should clay a brand new car because the paint probably has contaminants. But to me, if you wash the car and the paint feels smooth, skip it. I bought a 2017 EX-L in May and after washing, I used a sealant and then wax. It looks awesome.

KMG

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have Meg Gold Class, some Meg Wax, some of that Optimum No-Rinse Wash+Wax, bunch of microfiber towels and that's about it. I don't have anything in terms of clay though.
Do you have buckets and grit guards? Megs Gold Class is a good shampoo so your fine with that.

I know many will say you should clay a brand new car because the paint probably has contaminants. But to me, if you wash the car and the paint feels smooth, skip it. I bought a 2017 EX-L in May and after washing, I used a sealant and then wax. It looks awesome.
Your not going to feel it with your bare skin. This is where you need to do the baggie test. Take a sandwich baggie and put your hand in it and run it across the paint, and that "smooth" paint likely won't feel so smooth anymore. When trying to squeeze the maximum amount of gloss and depth out of the finish, all these small things factor into that. I hear the comment all the time about why would you need to do a new car, and people are usually shocked at just how much room for improvement there is on their new car.

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
Do you have buckets and grit guards? Megs Gold Class is a good shampoo so your fine with that.

Your not going to feel it with your bare skin. This is where you need to do the baggie test. Take a sandwich baggie and put your hand in it and run it across the paint, and that "smooth" paint likely won't feel so smooth anymore. When trying to squeeze the maximum amount of gloss and depth out of the finish, all these small things factor into that. I hear the comment all the time about why would you need to do a new car, and people are usually shocked at just how much room for improvement there is on their new car.
I guess I have ONE question.. can you "over clay"? - I mean if you are well lubed, can you tell when you are "done" easily, or is that where experience really matters?

KMG

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I have ONE question.. can you "over clay"? - I mean if you are well lubed, can you tell when you are "done" easily, or is that where experience really matters?
You can typically tell when you have removed everything just by the sound and the feel of it. Or you simply dry the surface and do the baggie test on it again to be sure you have it clean.

OP
OP
GSquared

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have 2 buckets and no grit guards, I guess I should get those, but they come in a few different sizes? I'll measure my buckets and see what I need to get...

KMG

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 2 buckets and no grit guards, I guess I should get those, but they come in a few different sizes? I'll measure my buckets and see what I need to get...
Grit Guards really don't come in different sizes, however some buckets will vary a bit in size. I prefer to use 3.5 gallon buckets as they are easier to move around. I am working on putting together a basic kit that I will post up here sometime today.
Sponsored