ecm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I don't think anyone has posted any pics of black on black on black on black. So here's mine!
Is that plastidip with gloss? I hate chrome, I can't believe how much better yours looks blacked out. Game changer.
Sponsored

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is that plastidip with gloss? I hate chrome, I can't believe how much better yours looks blacked out. Game changer.
No gloss, I got a can of matte black and put on 5 coats. Its held up great do far. I have the unlimited plan from Delta Sonic and have gone through the car wash probably 20 times since I dipped it and it still looks like day 1. I think I might go back this summer and put a few more coats on top of it and make sure I get all of the edges. You can see a bit of chrome in the nooks and crannies from up close. A suggestion for anyone looking to do this, cover the ENTIRE car with newspaper or a bed sheet before spraying. I taped full sheets of newspaper on every edge I was working with and the overspray still got everywhere. Granted, it does come off with a little bit of elbow grease, it was just a pain.

TChewy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Cosmic Blue, 2014 Mazda CX-5
No gloss, I got a can of matte black and put on 5 coats. Its held up great do far. I have the unlimited plan from Delta Sonic and have gone through the car wash probably 20 times since I dipped it and it still looks like day 1. I think I might go back this summer and put a few more coats on top of it and make sure I get all of the edges. You can see a bit of chrome in the nooks and crannies from up close. A suggestion for anyone looking to do this, cover the ENTIRE car with newspaper or a bed sheet before spraying. I taped full sheets of newspaper on every edge I was working with and the overspray still got everywhere. Granted, it does come off with a little bit of elbow grease, it was just a pain.
Kind of unrelated but I noticed you had a dark color car and said you go to the car wash quite a bit. Are you noticing a lot of micro scratches on the paint or are you taking care of this by waxing or using some other kind of protectant on it? I have the Cosmic Blue and even with just hand-washing I'm already noticing some micro scratches in the clear coat.

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Kind of unrelated but I noticed you had a dark color car and said you go to the car wash quite a bit. Are you noticing a lot of micro scratches on the paint or are you taking care of this by waxing or using some other kind of protectant on it? I have the Cosmic Blue and even with just hand-washing I'm already noticing some micro scratches in the clear coat.
I have noticed quite a few. This weekend it's supposed to be 67 where I live so I am going to try to wax it. But yes, I have noticed many swirl marks and scratches. It bugs me up close, but you can't see them more than a couple feet away.

ecm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
@lucashend did you try taking the chrome piece off the car to spray it? If the piece is separate from the bumper and can be taken off, it sounds like it might be easier considering all the prep needed to reduce overspray.

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@lucashend did you try taking the chrome piece off the car to spray it? If the piece is separate from the bumper and can be taken off, it sounds like it might be easier considering all the prep needed to reduce overspray.
Unfortunately, the side pieces are glued or stuck on, so those won't come off easily. As for the front, the chrome is connected to the entire front bumper. I think I might pull that off before I spray next time, but you would still need some newspaper to cover parts of the bumper.

ecm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Unfortunately, the side pieces are glued or stuck on, so those won't come off easily. As for the front, the chrome is connected to the entire front bumper. I think I might pull that off before I spray next time, but you would still need some newspaper to cover parts of the bumper.
Dang. I'll probably just pick up some of those cheap plastic sheets at Home Depot. Thery're only a few bucks.

But again, I think it's looks 100x better with it black! The Si is probably gonna have all these chrome pieces painted the same color of the car. Sports car and chrome don't mix.

Monsur313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic
This is what the chrome on the front looks like blacked out in the daytime. I still want to do the plastic under and above it to match. But it looks so much more aggressive now.

image.jpeg
It looks really nice actually and yes i think it would look better with the bottom grill matching. Did you consider actual paint instead of plasti dip? did you do it yourself or a shop did it for you?

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It looks really nice actually and yes i think it would look better with the bottom grill matching. Did you consider actual paint instead of plasti dip? did you do it yourself or a shop did it for you?
I redid the dip and added gloss to it, it looks almost the same maybe a little darker it seems but I like it. Also did the back as well.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
On these pictures its of the redone plasti-dip with matching the grill top and bottom, it looks so much better. I like the plasti-dip aspect because you dont have to do that much prep work to cover the car, any overspray can be peeled off, and its a lot more forgiving than paint. I did all the work myself, ive been extremely busy with school and sports but i plan on plasti-dipping the chrome sides and also the rims just to see what they look like black.

OP
OP
ethanmhanks

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Ram 1500, 1975 Corvette.
Vehicle Showcase
I tried removing the chrome pieces but I think it comes off with the entire bumper. I did not want to do that so I myself left it on. But removing the bumper would be a HUGE help I imagine.

Mr.Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Black
I redid the dip and added gloss to it, it looks almost the same maybe a little darker it seems but I like it. Also did the back as well.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
when you redid it, did you peel off the previous job? is it a big difference from before?

Mr.Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Black
I literally just did mine yesterday, took a couple hours. Id regret not spraying the whole grill if it looks much better that way

OP
OP
ethanmhanks

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Ram 1500, 1975 Corvette.
Vehicle Showcase
I need help guys. I know I will get bashed on here, but I don't care. I want to tint the headlights. I did it on my previous vehicle and I loved it and got compliments everywhere I went(Was also all blacked out). I am torn though, do I want to do Neo Chrome layovers from Dragon Laminates, or just black? I have attached a picture of my old Dart that I had the headlights tinted black on . I have never used the Neo Chrome so the Evo is just a picture I found online. Help me out here!
Honda Civic 10th gen Project Blackout. dartheadlights

Honda Civic 10th gen Project Blackout. neoheadlights

evildoer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed MSM
I need help guys. I know I will get bashed on here, but I don't care. I want to tint the headlights. I did it on my previous vehicle and I loved it and got compliments everywhere I went(Was also all blacked out). I am torn though, do I want to do Neo Chrome layovers from Dragon Laminates, or just black? I have attached a picture of my old Dart that I had the headlights tinted black on . I have never used the Neo Chrome so the Evo is just a picture I found online. Help me out here!
dartheadlights.jpg

neoheadlights.jpg
Maybe have someone photoshop it for you to help your decision?

kqn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been thinking of plastic dipping the front grill and leaving the chrome on top of the headlights haha
What do you guys think?
It makes the car look blacked out, but have angry chrome brows :p
I wanted to leave the chrome emblem though

Honda Civic 10th gen Project Blackout. 1.JPG
Sponsored