Production 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Styling Revealed in Patent Images

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
i wish this came out at the same time as the sedan.......
Yeah me too, I could have bought the hatch instead. I'm a hatch back person. The Civic sedan is the first I've bought in many many years. That tells you how good it is, that I gave up my passion for hatchbacks to buy it lol

twitchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Acura RDX, 2010 Honda FIT
definitely want to see it in person but I'm digging it so far i like that they kept the roof spoiler and that the lights go across and look like another spoiler pretty unique

tgold106

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Vehicle Showcase
after seeing these renders i'm glad i went with the sedan. The no 2.0L option would have been a bummer had i waited for the hatch. It also resembles a crosstour even more than the sedan does.
I'm probably one of the few people who actually liked the cross tour design even though most panned it. I bought the civic touring sedan and love it but the only thing I miss is the hatchback - trunks just don't give you the convenience and versatility that a hatchback does - I traded in a mini countryman s and that is the only thing i miss - its hatchback. For some reason, the novelty of the mini wore off especially since they kept the basic style for 6 years (and I was afraid that if the new clubman design was the direction the countryman was going in, I wasn't going to wait): The Countryman was a solid reliable car with incredible pickup but the Mini's turbo got awful gas mileage around town, required premium unleaded and was very noisy on startup especially during the cold weather. The cup holders (which I knew before buying) were mini and poorly located - annoyed me more and more over time. Anyhow, I can see myself buying the 4 door civic touring hatch in 4 years from now - assuming they continue along this path of great design and innovation - and as equally important value!

One edit...as I mentioned in another post, if Honda adds AWD to the Civic...the Civic may just be the finest car every made in its segment - I think consumers would be okay with getting a mile or two less with an AWD option - so you get a combined 33 instead of 35 combined.

Last edited:

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I'm probably one of the few people who actually liked the cross tour design even though most panned it. I bought the civic touring sedan and love it but the only thing I miss is the hatchback - trunks just don't give you the convenience and versatility that a hatchback does - I traded in a mini countryman s and that is the only thing i miss - its hatchback. For some reason, the novelty of the mini wore off especially since they kept the basic style for 6 years (and I was afraid that if the new clubman design was the direction the countryman was going in, I wasn't going to wait): The Countryman was a solid reliable car with incredible pickup but the Mini's turbo got awful gas mileage around town, required premium unleaded and was very noisy on startup especially during the cold weather. The cup holders (which I knew before buying) were mini and poorly located - annoyed me more and more over time. Anyhow, I can see myself buying the 4 door civic touring hatch in 4 years from now - assuming they continue along this path of great design and innovation - and as equally important value!

One edit...as I mentioned in another post, if Honda adds AWD to the Civic...the Civic may just be the finest car every made in its segment - I think consumers would be okay with getting a mile or two less with an AWD option - so you get a combined 33 instead of 35 combined.
I loved the Crosstour, she was a beast, I traded in one to buy my Civic Touring, and I have to say except for missing the hatchback, I like the Civic Touring better than the Crosstour. The seats in the Civic are WAY more comfortable, and I do not miss the frequent trips to the gas station with the Crosstour. My Civic did well this winter in the snow, so AWD is not a big deal for me. I agree if they put AWD in the Civic hatchback it would be the total car, would even be some serious competition for the subaru as well!

EADGBE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EXL Hatch
I'd drive that. I prefer the looks and lines of the sedan, but I'd consider this as a "practical" vehicle. When it comes time to replace my Jeep I just might consider one of these.

gregprep29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta TDI (waiting for my buy back)
Country flag
just looks like Honda's sneaky way of relaunching the Crosstour in disguise? The concept looks like a Civic hatch, but the renderings look like a massaged Crosstour, especially with the slope of the back from the side view.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Looks pretty good but...

Honda Civic 10th gen Production 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Styling Revealed in Patent Images 2017-honda-civic-hatchback-patent-images-2-

I sort of wish they would have done a more traditional hatchback versus this fastback look. Something like the Forte5 or new Cruze for example:

Honda Civic 10th gen Production 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Styling Revealed in Patent Images 2017-honda-civic-hatchback-patent-images-2-

Honda Civic 10th gen Production 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Styling Revealed in Patent Images 2017-Chevrolet-Cruze-Hatch-NAIAS-2016-Live-002

Overall, I think the sedan is the best design of the three Civics.

Last edited:

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Some Honda nuts may have liked the Crosstour (Honda could put an H on a turd and some would like it), but the fact that this hatch looks like one is NOT a good thing. Honda sold very few of the Crosstour, and it had everything to do with it's looks.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1097719_after-six-years-slow-sales-the-honda-crosstour-is-dead

I sort of wish they would have done a more traditional hatchback versus this fastback look. Something like the Forte5 or new Cruze for example
This.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
Love the hatch, Mazda 3 sales is gona go down the drain.
To me, the Mazda 3 hatch is a much more sexy car from the outside. Still like the sedan best of the 3 Civics. I wanted to like this design because I love hatchbacks but I just can't, it looks more "oddball" than "iconic" to me.

Having said that, it's certainly not the worst thing ever either, not like I would refuse to drive it or anything.

One place I think Honda drops the ball, especially compared to Mazda, is in the colors. Mazda has some great ones, but I really struggled finding a color I liked on the new Civics (settled on Cosmic Blue Metallic as the best of a mediocre paint lineup).

cfukin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX LX 6spd
The Mazda 3 sport does look good, it was one of the 3 cars that I was considering. (Jetta, Civic, Mazda3 Sport) But after I consider that this might be my car for the next 10years, I picked the Honda.

Not saying it will erase other competitors of its existence, but it is sure is going to make a dent, a big dent. However, it might be smart for us to see the real car first, but it does look promising.

Base on the Mazda 3 and Mazda 3 sport pricing, I expect the civic hatch to be $1-2000(CDN) more compare to the sedan. Also being made in Britain, it has to drive the cost up. That made me give up on waiting for the hatch and got the sedan.

Crosstour would have been a nice car if it wasn't so damn fugly.

hatchbackguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla
+1 for a more traditional hatchback design. Even better, extend the rear a bit and make it a small wagon. I don't understand why most manufacturers think that Americans will not buy small, fun to drive wagons or hatchbacks with a decent amount of cargo space. I've driven the Mazda 3 hatch, the Subaru Impreza, the VW GTI, the Scion IM, and the Honda Fit. The Fit has the best use of cargo space of them all, but it lacks the the more powerful engine, better suspension, brakes, interior, etc. of the others. I've been hoping that the Civic hatch would provide just what I want. I'll probably still end up getting one, but the wasted cargo space potential makes little sense. If Honda would put a turbo engine, rear disc brakes, better suspension, and a nicer interior in the Fit, I would take one of those.

cfukin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX LX 6spd
They tried that with the Golf wagon, extended the rear.
Will stop commenting on looks.... but, ya, it didn't sell too well.
If it wasn't designed that way, by extending it, it might not always turn out appealing.

gregprep29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta TDI (waiting for my buy back)
Country flag
^^^^ yea I think if you compared the golf wagon to the civic hatch, I'd be on the golf wagon all day. Drives well, handles well, more power, great interior, lots of room. The civic does a great job, is a bit cheaper price wise, and you don't have to deal with VW's cheating scandal. Just think the VW looks a little nicer as well compared to the civic hatch/crosstour
Sponsored