Procedure to fully disable VSA?

SBD47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Honda CR-V
Country flag
What is the procedure to FULLY disable VSA on the Type R? I saw it in a thread here, but can’t seem to find it now. Thanks.
Sponsored

Stig_jdm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, Evo X, S2000
Country flag
What is the procedure to FULLY disable VSA on the Type R? I saw it in a thread here, but can’t seem to find it now. Thanks.
This is what @PRL Motorsports posted.

"The procedure to turn vsa off is
1. Turn car to on position
2. Parking brake off
3. Press and hold brake pedal
4. Turn traction control on and off
5. Parking brake on
6. Release brake pedal
7. Turn traction control on and off
8. Press and hold brake pedal
9. Turn traction control on and off

The VSA light will light up and another similar but with the letters "OFF" will be blinking."

I do it in a simpler way, which is put the car on R mode, push and hold the VSA button for about 5s. Then it shows a message "VSA system fully off". This only happens if you are in the "R" mode. Not sure if the procedure above has a different result, but I would be interested to learn.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
This is what @PRL Motorsports posted.
4. Turn traction control on and off
7. Turn traction control on and off
9. Turn traction control on and off
Shouldn't it be turn traction control off then on? Or do off-on-off for step 4? Unless the car starts up with traction control off.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is easier to remember and simplifies it...

1. Turn off e-brake and turn ignition on

2. Press and hold brake pedal, press VSA off, then VSA on

3. Put e-brake on, release brake pedal, then VSA off, VSA on

4. Press and hold brake pedal, VSA off, VSA on

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Page 508 of the car manual
I found it on 522 of the big giant manual you have to ask Honda for but w.e, a quick lookup in the index will get you to it.

I am topping this ancient thread because according to the manual, you can only turn the VSA all the way off in R+ mode, and you simply hold the VSA button down for 15s, until the dash says "VSA is completely off!"

I don't know about y'all, but lights on a dash mean something is wrong, usually, and blinking lights mean something is REALLY wrong. So I'm not a super fan of the brake on brake off thing, because that sounds more like a self diagnostic procedure and a blinking VSA light only reinforces that idea. Either way, I'd only want VSA completely off in R+ mode, and this seems more legit to me. Perhaps this "completely off" mode isn't actually completely off, though, and I'm missing something?

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do the weird button/pedal dance allow you to turn VSA off in modes other than +R? The regular hold VSA-off method only works in +R mode AFAIK...

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Why would you want traction control completely turned off and not want to be in +R mode?

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Why would you want traction control completely turned off and not want to be in +R mode?
Because some people like to drive spiritedly but with a comfortable ride like they get with the suspension set in comfort mode.
This is why Honda should have an "individual" drive mode setting for the 2019 model year.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For winter I think it would be nice to be able to turn VSA off without the throttle to be as touchy as it is in +R and with a bit more suspension compliance..

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Because some people like to drive spiritedly but with a comfortable ride like they get with the suspension set in comfort mode.
This is why Honda should have an "individual" drive mode setting for the 2019 model year.
You may want "mostly" off. I felt that completely off was a handful! But again, I'm not a tremendously skilled driver.

For winter I think it would be nice to be able to turn VSA off without the throttle to be as touchy as it is in +R and with a bit more suspension compliance..
The manual recommends "mostly" off if you're stuck, but I don't know anything about snow.

I'm sure the brake dance is a thing, I just get skeeved out by blinking lights and wanted to bring some info from the manual to the forum.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TBH I have no idea how intrusive in the "non-fully off" mode is so that is TBD. I will get winter tires and all I am just curious what it might do. This is my DD all year round...

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
You may want "mostly" off. I felt that completely off was a handful! But again, I'm not a tremendously skilled driver.

The manual recommends "mostly" off if you're stuck, but I don't know anything about snow.

I'm sure the brake dance is a thing, I just get skeeved out by blinking lights and wanted to bring some info from the manual to the forum.
I know plenty about snow, and with VSA on, you might as well be driving on a mirror coated in baby oil. I am not sure about the Type-R yet, but some of my previous Honda vehicles wouldn't allow me to turn off VSA when the TPMS light was on due to temp swings. That equals no way to get out of my driveway.

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I noticed you could only use this function in Sport mode only. R+ mode is no go.
Sponsored