Problems with Apple Car Play and side camera

eXo99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
I noticed a glitch when Apple Car Play is transcribing a text message or reading a text message. I have the side camera set to turn on when the turn signal is engaged, if I am in the middle composing a text or if Siri is reading a text while I engage the turn signal the entire text message is scrapped and it kills the process of sending a text.
Has anyone else experienced this on their cars? I just joined the Civic club and have a 2018 Civic Si.
Sponsored

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
There have been several weird behaviors connected to CarPlay and the use of the side camera. So what you are describing isn't out of the realm of possibilities but I have not personally seen it myself.

The one I run into the most is just using CarPlay and signaling right and when I am done with the turn the screen is blank. Does not happen all the time. But, when it does happen, 9 times out of 10 the CarPlay screen will come back if I press the button at the end of the turn signal to re-activate the camera and then again to turn it off.

Kinda just been living with it all this time - considering how frustrating CarPlay support has been early on, this is a somewhat easy annoyance to live with.

elijahw

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Apple seems to be working to address CarPlay issues with Hondas and LaneWatch cameras.

I reported a bug where using LaneWatch would essentially shut off my CarPlay. They fixed it really quickly in the next Beta update.

Siri still shuts off for me too when using the right blinker, I've just gotten in the habit of... not using my turn signal when texting with Siri. Whomp whomp whomp.

Report any CarPlay bugs to Apple, they'll squash it. https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Last edited:

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Car Play just turns off randomly for me. Usually within the first 30 seconds of driving.
Everything is secure is with the cable.

When I connect the phone with USB, it usually takes 15 minutes of rebooting my phone and restarting my car multiple times just to get "Device Connected".

Useless. Also stock radio unit

At this point, I just use my cellphone or garmin as GPS

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
I noticed a glitch when Apple Car Play is transcribing a text message or reading a text message. I have the side camera set to turn on when the turn signal is engaged, if I am in the middle composing a text or if Siri is reading a text while I engage the turn signal the entire text message is scrapped and it kills the process of sending a text.
Has anyone else experienced this on their cars? I just joined the Civic club and have a 2018 Civic Si.
Yes I notice the exact same issue

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
What I did was just set my side camera to come on manually and I just click the button when I want to use it but yeah almost anything will get canceled out when the camera comes on I think it’s because they want you paying attention

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yep - that's what happens with mine, as well. I also have system lock ups/reboots on a far-too-regular basis. Irritates the bejeezus out of me.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I'm pretty sure activating the LaneWatch is the equivalent of pressing the home button while you're on Siri, which means it would disengage and go back to wherever you were on your Carplay screen. I never thought of this as an "issue" because you have to remember Apple didn't design Carplay specifically for Honda cars so they didn't factor in LaneWatch interrupting whatever you are doing with Siri on the HU. I don't think Honda can do anything to fix it as it is the way Apple internally designed CarPlay, and they would have to release an update that fixes it on their own, which most likely will not happen.

LoneStarFlatLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting that many of you are having Apple Carplay issues and they do seem to be well-documented. However, I use Apple Carplay almost exclusively and do not have any issues. My phone is an iPhone X with the latest iOS. I wonder if it has to do with older phones?

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
iPhoneX here too. Won’t stay connected for more than a minute :/

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Interesting that many of you are having Apple Carplay issues and they do seem to be well-documented. However, I use Apple Carplay almost exclusively and do not have any issues. My phone is an iPhone X with the latest iOS. I wonder if it has to do with older phones?
Im pretty sure signaling right when you're in the middle of siri sending a text erases the text and is an issue for pretty much every Civic owner. I could be wrong but give it a shot and see what happens.

ActiveArch

First Name
Nubar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you’re running iOS 12 beta there’s lots of bugs. Turning on watchlane will often disconnect CarPlay, forcing me to unplug and replug the lightning cable after every time I use watchlane.

LoneStarFlatLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Im pretty sure signaling right when you're in the middle of siri sending a text erases the text and is an issue for pretty much every Civic owner. I could be wrong but give it a shot and see what happens.
OK. I have to admit that I cannot ever remember doing this exact activity.
Sponsored