Problem with touch-screen display and radio settings (Honda Civic 2016 Ex)

OP
OP

Manthan_Shah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2016 EX (4-dr sedan)
This EXACT same thing just happened to my EX yesterday morning! I did immediately take it to a dealership. While at the dealership, the message that you noted above came on the display. They kept it to "test and check for codes", but of course found none. I made sure everything was noted on the receipt, so if it keeps happening, I'll have everything documented. After they held the power button down for 2 seconds, everything has worked properly since.

I'm in Ohio, and I got my EX on 1/18/16.
Hi, can you please share more details on documentation. Is it something you took on letter head of Honda/ dealer etc.
An image of partial document will be great. It will help me to get same from my dealer.
Thanks
Sponsored

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (WOP), 2019 Pilot Touring (Black)
Country flag
Dude, they're not doing you a favor, it's their job and responsiblity... tell them flat-out that you are expecting more from them as you bought the car from that dealership... if not you are more than happy to take it to another dealership for future servicing. Don't compromise on quality of service, no dealership is perfect but there should be some basic standards.

Not saying you should lose your gasket and go nuts on them, but seriously don't let them take advantage of ya!

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
at least fix it immediately.
In all likelihood, these symptoms are resulting from software defects which the dealer has very little way to troubleshoot and, in absence of a Honda update, is powerless to actually "fix". They may be able to provide some relief though with a reset or similar. And, agreed, telling you "we have an appointment available on the nth of never" is not cool if you just purchased the car there.

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (WOP), 2019 Pilot Touring (Black)
Country flag
In all likelihood, these symptoms are resulting from software defects which the dealer has very little way to troubleshoot and, in absence of a Honda update, is powerless to actually "fix". They may be able to provide some relief though with a reset or similar. And, agreed, telling you "we have an appointment available on the nth of never" is not cool if you just purchased the car there.
Yup, definitely a possibility. They should at least try to accommodate and diagnose the problem...

OP
OP

Manthan_Shah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2016 EX (4-dr sedan)
Yes, I agree with everyone my dealer's way of treating customer is really pathetic and also you can't be gentle with them. That's why after yelling and threatening a lot, they agreed to take care. But still thanks for your suggestions, I got some more points to use in my favor.
Also, I got all the information I required to know for tomorrow. I will post an update as it gets solved.

Thanks everyone.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
The sales guy I work with is absolutely fantastic when I need anything. A few weeks ago I had to drive 1300 miles round trip in snowy conditions so I put my winter wheels on two days before I had to leave. Bad planning on my part, because one or two of the wheels were out of balance and the car was shaking bad above 50 mph. This gave me exactly one day to get this resolved, so I texted my sales guy and he got me in even though they are always booked for appointments.

Honda Civic 10th gen Problem with touch-screen display and radio settings  (Honda Civic 2016 Ex) ff1zxs

abstay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 EX-T
I have an EX... plugged my Iphone 6 via USB jack to use the apple navigation, 30min. down I-101, an irritating beeping sound keeps on bugging me, but no warning of sort on info display, unplugged the jack, but still beeping sound goes off and on like after 5 secs. Like an alarm clock that wont stop at 5am. I turned off the head unit, but still. Went to Honda and tech guys says nothing wrong with it, so Im not plugging my iphone and use blue tooth for music and navi... but still... I could only use my spotify for 30 min and that beeping sound goes again...help!

puvat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Was your Display issue resolved ? If so, have you had any further issues since ? I have the same issue with my ex-t that is a month old - the center console went blank with the same anti-theft message you showed. Took the car to the dealer and they kept the car for diagnosis, being a weekend. I am curious what they will find and fix.

puvat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
An update
The dealer replaced my display panel, changed a connector cable and the problem went away. But the dealer also cautioned (with a written comment in my copy of the service order) that the problem could appear again as there was a software issue for which Honda is developing an update. I was given to understand by the service agent that the problem is more widespread and not limited to my car. I called Honda to check on this update, but the CSR who answered my call would neither confirm or deny that the dealer's explanation. I requested a transcript of our phone conversation via email, but all she gave me was a case# for future reference. While I have been generally happy with my purchase and first service experience with the Honda dealership, I was quite disappointed in my conversation with the Honda CSR. I feel that the display panel going blank while driving can pose a serious hazard, especially during winter, when loss of temperature control and defoggers while driving can pose a serious problem. I will try to follow up with Honda in writing, to see if I get a better response than my phone conversation.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
An update
The dealer replaced my display panel, changed a connector cable and the problem went away. But the dealer also cautioned (with a written comment in my copy of the service order) that the problem could appear again as there was a software issue for which Honda is developing an update. I was given to understand by the service agent that the problem is more widespread and not limited to my car. I called Honda to check on this update, but the CSR who answered my call would neither confirm or deny that the dealer's explanation. I requested a transcript of our phone conversation via email, but all she gave me was a case# for future reference. While I have been generally happy with my purchase and first service experience with the Honda dealership, I was quite disappointed in my conversation with the Honda CSR. I feel that the display panel going blank while driving can pose a serious hazard, especially during winter, when loss of temperature control and defoggers while driving can pose a serious problem. I will try to follow up with Honda in writing, to see if I get a better response than my phone conversation.
When I call them now, and I get "This call maybe be recorded for quality and training purposes", when they answer, I repeat this back to them and say my call is being recored for accuracy. Sometimes I get a, please hold for a supervisor, and then no one comes to the phone...a one way street I guess.

puvat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
When I call them now, and I get "This call maybe be recorded for quality and training purposes", when they answer, I repeat this back to them and say my call is being recored for accuracy. Sometimes I get a, please hold for a supervisor, and then no one comes to the phone...a one way street I guess.
I guess that is the legal way of saying that "we told you the conversation was being recorded for training and we may have deleted the recording after training, and therefore we have no way of acknowledging/denying that we ever spoke to you, or we were made aware of the problem". I was lucky to speak to a live person on the first try, but I was under no illusion that this person would stick her neck out and acknowledger that there is a systemic problem, unless Honda was already aware and had prepared an official communication on this issue. I do believe this issue poses a safety hazard while driving, and if other Civic owners encountered the same issue, then perhaps some one responsible for safety issues takes notice.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Info System(Honda Civic 2016 Ex).png

Press the highlighted button for two second. this will fix this issue.
Thank you sir! Was just having this problem after disconnecting my battery terminal. Everything is back to normal now.