Problem with PS4S sidewall cracks

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Agree with some of the comments above about driving summer tires when its cold. Several high performance tires even have warnings about not driving on them below certain temps such as Goodyear F1 Supercar G2's and I believe Cups 2's.. Omar you may want to check into this for your Cups 2's on your LE..
Sponsored

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I would be surprised if it was temperatures. Sub 40 is not recommended on these tires due to the complete lack of grip below that level. I would think the actual temperature of the rubber would need to be well into the 20’s or lower to cause cracking. I’ve driven on both my RE-71R’s and my OEM conti’s in temps between 30-40 without issue, but I do park in a garage where the temp never drops below 50.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Good point.
I do seem to remember the odd person on the Shelby forums with Goodyear F1 G2's getting cracks but that was if they ran the tire when it was cold. More to your point these same tires were noted as becoming "hockey pucks" for traction in cooler temps.
I also just found this on the Michelin Cup 2 R tire - Technical Bulletin_PSC2R.pdf. But again they could be more concerned about traction versus cracking..

Last edited:

Learn2turn:)

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW FK8, 2005 S2000, 1995 Miata
Country flag
Could it be the road quality at cold temps giving that extra bit of stress/

I drove through whole winter on the stock Contis and they showed nothing wrong.

I think it is a bad batch or they were stored improperly before you got them.

Last edited:

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Yea I've defs driven below freezing on stock Contis... Not the same tire I know but I couldn't imagine OP was doing any spirited driving in the cold.

They just handle like garbage and you can immediately tell so you'd have to be silly to push them.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Doubt its any type of treatment on the tire, as you would probably see it on one of the other tires as well. Could be driving it under a certain temp, although I've had PS4S in the past and driven them a handful of times on unexpectedly cold mornings in the spring (welcome to New England).

I wouldn't let individual cases like these steer anyone away from these tires. IMO they are the best street summer performance tire available.

ManEatingPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
OP did mention that this can be seen on each tire and given the location of the cracks, cold weather just seemed like the culprit to me. There are many other variables as well like if the car is parked outside where the tires actually drop to ambient temps vs parked in a garage. Being driven daily during the cold weather months vs being caught out in the cold occasionally is a factor as well.

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
Weird. I checked and noticed a similar line on my ps4s. Except i put them on mid april and have only done +/- 1000kms on them

They might have seen 2 or 3 near freezing temps (mornings) but was never driven on em that cold...

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
This type of cracking also happened to my Michelin PS4’s. I have about 27k on the tires. It had never seen below 40f temps. This type of cracking looks like the tire will have tread separation. The entire tread will completely separate from the sidewall. The stock Conti’s were fine with no sign of cracking of any sort at 22k miles.

OP
OP
typeroar

typeroar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
This type of cracking also happened to my Michelin PS4’s. I have about 27k on the tires. It had never seen below 40f temps. This type of cracking looks like the tire will have tread separation. The entire tread will completely separate from the sidewall. The stock Conti’s were fine with no sign of cracking of any sort at 22k miles.
Are you still driving on them? Have you submitted any warranty claims? I still haven’t heard back from tire rack after they requested pictures...

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my stock conti's had cracks all in the sidewall and tread at 15k miles only have 3k+ on my ps4's so far and look fine. but once they do or if they start to crack i just get another free set

PwrOfDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
Are you still driving on them? Have you submitted any warranty claims? I still haven’t heard back from tire rack after they requested pictures...
I changed them out about a week ago. It only had 2/32 of tread left in them and the rubber was rock hard. When the tread life is near its end, the grip seems to go along with it. No warrenty claims was submitted. The tires were already beat up with plugs and patches from nails. It was already on its way out. I heard Michelin will give people a hard time when they try to get warrenty replacement. If you bought it at a tire chain like Discount tires or America’s tires then they will replace it no questions asked if you bought their warrenty package.

OP
OP
typeroar

typeroar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
I changed them out about a week ago. It only had 2/32 of tread left in them and the rubber was rock hard. When the tread life is near its end, the grip seems to go along with it. No warrenty claims was submitted. The tires were already beat up with plugs and patches from nails. It was already on its way out. I heard Michelin will give people a hard time when they try to get warrenty replacement. If you bought it at a tire chain like Discount tires or America’s tires then they will replace it no questions asked if you bought their warrenty package.
Yeah sounds like filing a warranty claim (without purchasing extra coverage) could be a PITA. What did you go with for the new setup? Think I’m done using Michelin for a while.

PwrOfDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
Yeah sounds like filing a warranty claim (without purchasing extra coverage) could be a PITA. What did you go with for the new setup? Think I’m done using Michelin for a while.
I’m currently trying out the Pirelli P-Zero in stock size. Let’s see how this brand holds up.

REC13

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1999 Integra gsr, 2014 Mustang GT
Country flag
I've made my living of 20yrs in the tire/auto repair business just to preface my input on this situation. I am also currently a michelin dealer at the shop I am employed at. It is not uncommon to see michelin tires showing this type of cracking over time. It's not indicative of a separation waiting to happen or anything catastrophic that is impending. It shouldn't be there, but you're not about to die in a fiery car crash or anything. It has nothing to do with tire dressing or the temperature you have driven or stored the tires...Its just how the cookie crumbles. Goodyear tires and Yokohamas have this happen at times as well. Rarely seen on Bridgestone or Continental brands. I would give Tire Rack a chance to do right by you and see what happens. Michelin will offer a very minimal sales concession at best that will only be able to used toward another Michelin/BFG/Uniroyal product.
Sponsored