ChefFaz84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan(fc1)
Country flag
I recently installed the prl short ram on my 2019 si but in the process ended up slightly crushing and bending up the filter a little. I started researching filters and in the past have used the secret weapon filter with the ram air add on tube. I do realize I could have spent less and got the prl Cobra but in my area it floods a lot and I have hydrolocked 2 other Si's. My plan is to modify the driver side fog garnish and open it up but also cover it with a carbon fiber mesh. I want to than add a velocity stack behind the garnish and attach it to the weapon r ram air tube, it only connects to the top.of the filter about 2.5 inches and then the remaining filter is open to draw more air in, theoretically it sounds good. I did some research on here and haven't seen anyone do this setup yet . I have pics of the intake now with just the secret weapon filter on. I'll post pics and updates as the project progresses.

Also if anyone has done this or very similar please post here with your experience and results. Currently it's 93 degrees here and 100% humidity so the heatsoak is real.
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recently installed the prl short ram on my 2019 si but in the process ended up slightly crushing and bending up the filter a little. I started researching filters and in the past have used the secret weapon filter with the ram air add on tube. I do realize I could have spent less and got the prl Cobra but in my area it floods a lot and I have hydrolocked 2 other Si's. My plan is to modify the driver side fog garnish and open it up but also cover it with a carbon fiber mesh. I want to than add a velocity stack behind the garnish and attach it to the weapon r ram air tube, it only connects to the top.of the filter about 2.5 inches and then the remaining filter is open to draw more air in, theoretically it sounds good. I did some research on here and haven't seen anyone do this setup yet . I have pics of the intake now with just the secret weapon filter on. I'll post pics and updates as the project progresses.

Also if anyone has done this or very similar please post here with your experience and results. Currently it's 93 degrees here and 100% humidity so the heatsoak is real.
You should be fine. You are in essence doing a version of the old school AEM's cold air intake bypass valve. At least that's what they call it. It's just a filter inline of a pipe so that if water is being sucked up through the intake, air would be drawn in through the 'bypass valve' (Air filter).

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL/ WEAPON R hybrid intake Aem Air Bypass Valve

BTW: My personal experience with the Weapon R Secret weapon air filter is that they suck. Get your self a K&N or an S&B Air Filter (My personal favorite). Why do I say this? I tested a Weapon R short ram intake on my 2010 Toyota RAV4. I thought the intake itself was great but the air filter's design had me questioning how good it was (or wasn't). So I dyno'd the intake with it's Weapon R Secret Weapon air filter vs an S&B air filter that I purchased from a local warehouse. The difference was ridiculous. Same dyno! Same day! Only changed the air filter while it was still on the dyno.
Dyno Results Weapon R Dragon Intake Air Filter vs S&B Air Filter

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChefFaz84

ChefFaz84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan(fc1)
Country flag
There are a few threads and posts of people feeding fresh air to the stock filter from the fog light area in the fender. All have reported improved intake temps

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/question-regarding-stock-airbox.44416/post-856088
I have the prl sho
There are a few threads and posts of people feeding fresh air to the stock filter from the fog light area in the fender. All have reported improved intake temps

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/question-regarding-stock-airbox.44416/post-856088
I want to run the weapon r ram air tube behind the fog garnish. Here is my setup now. Nothing special but looking into some new fog garnish setups to help bring more air in.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL/ WEAPON R hybrid intake 20200806_140545

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As an admin of a Hyundai based forum, take this for what it's worth. Members at my forum that used Weapon R stuff over the years all wound up switching to something else. They just aren't very good. Their filters in particular are pure trash.

Reactions: Myx

OP
OP
ChefFaz84

ChefFaz84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan(fc1)
Country flag
As an admin of a Hyundai based forum, take this for what it's worth. Members at my forum that used Weapon R stuff over the years all wound up switching to something else. They just aren't very good. Their filters in particular are pure trash.
Well that sucks to hear. I guess I'll start shopping a new one and see how this one does on the car until then. So far I notice a difference from.the prl filter it's not as loud but seems to have better response..but my iat are both up a little.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair, my comments on Weapon R are based on reviews from a number of years ago at my forum. It's quite possible they have improved their quality in recent years.

OP
OP
ChefFaz84

ChefFaz84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan(fc1)
Country flag
The filter itself feels different then it did a few years ago, it's plastic and the construction seems solid. So far I'm happy with it considered it's hot as hell where I live. On a side note I got my other issue resolved with the 5600 rpm fuel cut.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Weapon R is no good for sure but if you are only using it as a way to feed your Sri fresh air from below I wouldn't think there's an issue. The tube doesn't have the silly inter tube does it?

OP
OP
ChefFaz84

ChefFaz84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan(fc1)
Country flag
Weapon R is no good for sure but if you are only using it as a way to feed your Sri fresh air from below I wouldn't think there's an issue. The tube doesn't have the silly inter tube does it?
Not sure, this is the exact kit but I might get some silicone hosing and fab my own with some gold wrap to keep the heat down. I'm still undecided the route I want to go exactly. https://www.ebay.com/c/1717856914

OP
OP
ChefFaz84

ChefFaz84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan(fc1)
Country flag