Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Yes it does looks beautiful, the questions is if this really make the difference vs other bar plate intercooler?, one thing is what your eyes seen and other what high speed wind does trough those fins, according the data logs it not making big difference, maybe it make some difference in slightly lower ECT but you will sacrifice higher IAT lower power and hot air to the intake is equal hotter air to the combustion chamber lower performance at long term .. at this point I prefer to get better IAT and more consistent power . Now if your goal is just stay the most time as possible on the track regardless the speed and power then yes I would chose a small intercooler, maybe stick with OEM because is lightweight and not tall or tick . I really love the track but I spend more time daily driving my R and doing more races here and there and eventually 3 or 4 track day per year.
Tube and fin intercoolers are used in the highest level of motorsports. Bar and plate intercoolers are not as consistent at shedding heat. The bar and plate designs are less prone to heat soak and once soaked have a hard time of getting rid of the heat. This is not ideal for back to back WOT driving like you would see on the track.

My data from street, highway, and 3rd gear WOT pulls have been great and a noticeable improvement over HKS. Many hardcore track guys are making the switch to tube and fin and haven’t looked back
Sponsored

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Tube and fin intercoolers are used in the highest level of motorsports. Bar and plate intercoolers are not as consistent at shedding heat. The bar and plate designs are less prone to heat soak and once soaked have a hard time of getting rid of the heat. This is not ideal for back to back WOT driving like you would see on the track.

My data from street, highway, and 3rd gear WOT pulls have been great and a noticeable improvement over HKS. Many hardcore track guys are making the switch to tube and fin and haven’t looked back
Whatever you choose is fine, I have real data on track and street and drag.. proving the setup I have works with no issues, in my case works for all the scenarios ,again based in data of a couple Rs , is not just based on my personal experience .

If you do 3 gear pull the stock intercooler can do it well also.. , the same on track the intercooler does not work that hard because you are shifting and lifting the throttle , when you do that there is no boost at the intercooler. No boost no pressurized air no high temps inside the intercooler. Is great the people you know decide to switch that is fine, I mean is a expensive to switch intercooler just for test so I'm agreed to stick with whatever you choose,
unfortunately some other has to see the results in IAT for switch to other more efficient intercooler.

If you really want to see how good your intercooler performs, try to do this :
Drive for a while until the operating temperature is good, then stop the car for 15 min.
Then do a pull from 2 to 5th gear all the way up to the rev limiter and do no lift shifting, data log the whole process and see where your IAT start and where ends.. I don't know how much boost do you have if you have aftermarket turbo or you car is stock and we can compare data logs for get some reference. Here the ambient temps are usually 90 F degrees.

I can show you all the data I have and you can see the ECT, IAT and how much boost the car is running in the whole run.

I'm very curious in how you car perform on a scenario like this.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Whatever you choose is fine, I have real data on track and street and drag.. proving the setup I have works with no issues, in my case works for all the scenarios ,again based in data of a couple Rs , is not just based on my personal experience .

If you do 3 gear pull the stock intercooler can do it well also.. , the same on track the intercooler does not work that hard because you are shifting and lifting the throttle , when you do that there is no boost at the intercooler. No boost no pressurized air no high temps inside the intercooler. Is great the people you know decide to switch that is fine, I mean is a expensive to switch intercooler just for test so I'm agreed to stick with whatever you choose,
unfortunately some other has to see the results in IAT for switch to other more efficient intercooler.

If you really want to see how good your intercooler performs, try to do this :
Drive for a while until the operating temperature is good, then stop the car for 15 min.
Then do a pull from 2 to 5th gear all the way up to the rev limiter and do no lift shifting, data log the whole process and see where your IAT start and where ends.. I don't know how much boost do you have if you have aftermarket turbo or you car is stock and we can compare data logs for get some reference. Here the ambient temps are usually 90 F degrees.

I can show you all the data I have and you can see the ECT, IAT and how much boost the car is running in the whole run.

I'm very curious in how you car perform on a scenario like this.
Not really sure what point you’re trying to make here....

Your method of testing is also quite flawed

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Not really sure what point you’re trying to make here....

Your method of testing is also quite flawed
Just trying to get some data more than '' Noticeable better'' I whish I could have some numbers like I posted..

Course my method is not the best, will be a lot better than 3 gear pull..

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Just trying to get some data more than '' Noticeable better'' I whish I could have some numbers like I posted..

Course my method is not the best, will be a lot better than 3 gear pull..
Well it’s nearly impossible to quantify exactly how much better because the tests can easily be manipulated. Numbers also change depending on the situation too so it’s not as easy as saying 10% cooler or 10F cooler. From my testing I’ve had better results from my C&R compared to my HKS. On track I have much lower ECTs with the C&R compared to the HKS. Two different tracks and scenario is so I can’t provide exactly how much of an improvement is there. Could I lie and make up some numbers? Sure, but I won’t

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Well it’s nearly impossible to quantify exactly how much better because the tests can easily be manipulated. Numbers also change depending on the situation too so it’s not as easy as saying 10% cooler or 10F cooler. From my testing I’ve had better results from my C&R compared to my HKS. On track I have much lower ECTs with the C&R compared to the HKS. Two different tracks and scenario is so I can’t provide exactly how much of an improvement is there. Could I lie and make up some numbers? Sure, but I won’t
Understand, nobody asking to lie, or made up numbers, I posted a data log, it shows the run and how the car were driven also how much boost were , speed, etc, I'm looking if someone can post information like that..

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag
This is all good info and seems clear there is plenty to choose from , and depending how hard you drive the car and where you live .

so to sort of simplify things.... Is there any intercooler out there which performs worse then OEM Intercooler ?

like for example we know some Intakes are worse then OEM setup, proved by Hondata guys , and few others..

in the case of intercoolers do we know of one intercooler which people should stay away from because it is just worst then OEM?

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
This is all good info and seems clear there is plenty to choose from , and depending how hard you drive the car and where you live .

so to sort of simplify things.... Is there any intercooler out there which performs worse then OEM Intercooler ?

like for example we know some Intakes are worse then OEM setup, proved by Hondata guys , and few others..

in the case of intercoolers do we know of one intercooler which people should stay away from because it is just worst then OEM?
If your goals are lower the iat any aftermarket intercooler will do the job better , any larger than oem will lower better the temps . I have installed and tested Injen , HKS, PRL, Mishimoto and Full Race , but there a lot good brands out there , I saw the 27 won and looks nice also I saw in pictures the Perrin , both looks really nice .

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag

Yes, there's a LOT of intercoolers that are worse than OEM if you are planning on tracking the car. People blindly put larger intercoolers on their cars which just result in blocking air to the radiator and causes them to overheat faster. I'd recommend you read the threads about overheating at the track and the best solutions for that.

reesee175

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
Honestly, getting a large intercooler with promote more efficiency and cooler iat's. The overheating issues comes from the non-track cooler system. Just driving the car on the street can raise coolant Temps. Do a couple of runs and stop and lift up the hood and feel the intense amount lf heat. This is a similar issue i had with my srt4. I brougth DCR cooling products along with 170 thero and it seemed to do the trick. The 10th civic would greater benefit from an aftermarket raditor.

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
actually they were in my radar as well aside from PRL n Mishi.... I may go with fullrace .

Thanks for all feedback and data from those who have them and tested as well.
Do you have it? any feedback on build quality and the results on your car?

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag