Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
This is why it comes down to what the usage case is. In majority of cases I’m seeing the best results from my C&R IC. I’ll try and upload some logs tonight

It’s a fine balance of maintaining optimal IATs and pressures. I also care about how big the intercooler is since I want optimal airflow through the cooling stack.

In some of the logs y’all shared, I’m seeing very high ECT2 temps
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Lust is referring to drop pressure due large cores, the turbo hast blow longer for get the same amount of PSI, filling large cores, also could introduce some lag. The ECU will target to certain amount of PSI regardless the intercooler size, but the turbo will need to work ''longer '' for reach the boost request.
Yes the heat soak is very bad.. I've seen more power and tq drop measures on the dyno and very noticeable on the track and street.
Ah, sorry, I missed that part. Yeah, larger cores means more time to spool. The cooler air should counteract any slight increase in spool time, though, by reducing the target.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
It seems like this thread should be renamed to "PRL vs Mishimoto"

I've seen IATs around 150F with PRL intercooler and HVI. However, it returns to normal in a couple minutes of driving (not hard).
I wish we could log ambient temperature with the FlashPro because we could actually calculate performance from datalogs and have better than anecdotal discussion. However, IIRC, the ambient was 95-98 when I took this datalog. Both IATs started out at ~150F but after a few minutes of driving the IAT2 gets down to 5 degrees above ambient and the intercooler 20-25 degrees above ambient.
prl_heat_soak.png

I didn't really drive hard but I did some small pulls to get around people and you can see it IAT2 and IAT meet in temperature. There's even a couple places where IAT is 12.6 degrees below IAT2.
However, as I mentioned this is light driving...
Some thermal images for fun.
prl_intercooler.jpg

prl_hvi-upclose.jpg

prl_hvi-perspective.jpg

Lol! I'm not trying to convince anyone to one is good and the other bad, I think both are great intercooler , just for different applications or goals.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Ah, sorry, I missed that part. Yeah, larger cores means more time to spool. The cooler air should counteract any slight increase in spool time, though, by reducing the target.
Wouldn't a larger bar and plate intercooler block more airflow so the gain in IAT would be offset by higher oil and ect2 temperatures? Most of them aren't much higher than stock, just deeper

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Wouldn't a larger bar and plate intercooler block more airflow so the gain in IAT would be offset by higher oil and ect2 temperatures? Most of them aren't much higher than stock, just deeper
100%. For prolonged use, tube and fin is superior. 1/4 mile world I’m sure is different though.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
100%. For prolonged use, tube and fin is superior. 1/4 mile world I’m sure is different though.
Oh yeah, tube and fin for sure on track, not for traffic lol. Down the road I'll probably swap to that new c&r everyone is raving about, how well do tube and fin hold up to lots of highway use being lighter and more fragile?

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I have compared a couple logs with other Rs using HKS, and I didn't notice better ECT, hard to really do a direct comparative, the driving is not the same ,I have mishimoto and koyo rad, and my ECT are not to highest compared to the other R using HKS . Some test I did once, (course not the same of real track) I installed a ducting on a electrical blower, then I faced to the radiator and just with my hands feeling the air passing trough soon as I put the AC condenser in front it was like easy a 50% air less, what I'm sayin I don't know how much difference between a bar and plate and tube and fins intercooler can make, both will block pretty much the same... Now the fins technology using for different radiators and intercooler is another story, I'm just talking about how much can block one intercooler or the other. If you are worry about the air coming from the bottom of the intercooler place just stick with OEM, is small and not too tall.

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Tube and fin & bar and plate... which one is which amongst PRL & mishimoto?
Btw I might gonna attempt to install mishi FMIC in 1.5 like Eman did. Reason being mishi FMIC for CTR is a thicker than for 1.5. Any tips?

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Lol! I'm not trying to convince anyone to one is good and the other bad, I think both are great intercooler , just for different applications or goals.
LOL, that was directed at anyone. I was being delicate by posting data emphasizing, with light driving what you'll see. I'm also encouraging people to share their data. I like bar and plate for a daily as there are tons of rocks on the roads around here. The stock intercooler was toast after about year.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
LOL, that was directed at anyone. I was being delicate by posting data emphasizing, with light driving what you'll see. I'm also encouraging people to share their data. I like bar and plate for a daily as there are tons of rocks on the roads around here. The stock intercooler was toast after about year.
Where do you live ? Yeah mostly road are good here , but when you driving on the track and you go behind another car with slicks it trows a lot of stuff to your windshield ,intercooler, radiator etc

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Where do you live ? Yeah mostly road are good here , but when you driving on the track and you go behind another car with slicks it trows a lot of stuff to your windshield ,intercooler, radiator etc
The greater Boston, Massachusetts area. I came from VT where the roads a pristine and so much fun to drive on. To give you an example, this is our driveway where they're paving the road. It's been like this for over a month.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL VS. MISHIMOTO INTERCOOLER driveway_pavin

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have compared a couple logs with other Rs using HKS, and I didn't notice better ECT, hard to really do a direct comparative, the driving is not the same ,I have mishimoto and koyo rad, and my ECT are not to highest compared to the other R using HKS . Some test I did once, (course not the same of real track) I installed a ducting on a electrical blower, then I faced to the radiator and just with my hands feeling the air passing trough soon as I put the AC condenser in front it was like easy a 50% air less, what I'm sayin I don't know how much difference between a bar and plate and tube and fins intercooler can make, both will block pretty much the same... Now the fins technology using for different radiators and intercooler is another story, I'm just talking about how much can block one intercooler or the other. If you are worry about the air coming from the bottom of the intercooler place just stick with OEM, is small and not too tall.
hmm. Just looking at this picture of boosted180sx's c&r, it looks like it's airflow is incredible

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL VS. MISHIMOTO INTERCOOLER hwijwu2-

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
hmm. Just looking at this picture of boosted180sx's c&r, it looks like it's airflow is incredible

hwijwu2-jpg.jpg
Yes it does looks beautiful, the questions is if this really make the difference vs other bar plate intercooler?, one thing is what your eyes seen and other what high speed wind does trough those fins, according the data logs it not making big difference, maybe it make some difference in slightly lower ECT but you will sacrifice higher IAT lower power and hot air to the intake is equal hotter air to the combustion chamber lower performance at long term .. at this point I prefer to get better IAT and more consistent power . Now if your goal is just stay the most time as possible on the track regardless the speed and power then yes I would chose a small intercooler, maybe stick with OEM because is lightweight and not tall or tick . I really love the track but I spend more time daily driving my R and doing more races here and there and eventually 3 or 4 track day per year.