PRL TIP Thermal Coated Available

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Here is it all installed. I don’t really notice a difference other than spooling but I can’t say it’s due to the TiP since I also put on my catless DP. I may or may not have snapped a DP stud, but luckily there was enough left that I could still use.
I think the black looks good. I notice you put some shiny stuff in all the hot areas. I've measured temperatures above 150F inside and outside of the HVI right where you've put the aluminum tape.
Sorry about the stud, exhaust bolts are the worst. I've cracked sockets on them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RBrackett

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Here is it all installed. I don’t really notice a difference other than spooling but I can’t say it’s due to the TiP since I also put on my catless DP. I may or may not have snapped a DP stud, but luckily there was enough left that I could still use.

Looks good! im looking forward to installing mine but not looking forward to the DP install. i know im gonna snap a stud. saw somewhere, they soaked it for 3-4 days then warmed the car up for 30min and it backed right out.

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
I got my TIP when they first came out.. what funny is, I did ask PRL back then if I should thermal coat the pipe... their answer to me is...they see no benefit doing thermal coating on TIP and such coating will not help heat dissipation with this pipe.
But now they do it... I think it is a complete gimmick or they just coat over their existing blemishes TIP..
We can promise that these were not blemished kits, as we ran out of blemished inlet kits a little while back. We received a short order of tubing that wasn't quite large enough to offer a full batch release. After quite a few requests of a "black" kit, receiving requests for thermal coating over time and seeing so many folks insist on using heat tape, we figured we could offer a limited run of black, thermal coated tubing kits. Though, seeing the popularity, this may be something we decide to release again, or have offered as an available service in the future - depending on feedback.

The finish on mine is pretty rough, so I almost wonder if these were sand blasted ones they had left that in turn are now “thermal coated”. That, or whoever they have doing the coating did not consistently spray the coating. The top of mine is glossy and smooth, but near the bolt connections, it’s pretty rough and I actually deep cleaned it thinking it was dirty but nope, just a rough finish.
This Ti tubing cannot be sandblasted, so we can promise that this was not the case. The thermal coating is applied very thin and is not intended to appear like a painted surface, resulting in some inconsistencies in finish from time-to-time. Regardless, this should not affect performance.

Well, I stand corrected. I know I tried to promote open mindedness about PRL and why they are offering this...

There’s a nice deep zig zag scratch. They tried to tell me it is not a defect.
A86A6E62-FEB8-417F-904E-1427E27F7F26.jpeg
We do not see this be a defect, as this is to be expected from non-polished, mill-finished tubing.

PRL responded to my email saying it will still seal and won't be a problem

20200812_130108.jpg
We apologize about this! There is no reason that this would affect a seal or fitment and is purely cosmetic until installed. This ridge was designed to act as a spacer and filler between the cast aluminum elbow and tube so that the pieces could be butted against each other for consistent fitment and airflow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our goal is to provide great performing, great fitting products that are built to last at competitive prices. This kit is priced well under some of the other available options. These products were designed for functionality. We treat our Quality Control process and standards the same as other higher level platforms, such as the R35 GT-R and Porsche products we offer and private label manufacture. Our warranty program is intended to take care of any issues at hand if there ever were any, so customers can rest assured that we are here to take care of them.

Last edited:

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have no idea how to read any of the datalogs outside of normal stuff, but here's a data log with a few hard 4th pulls on highway, then cruising between 55-65.

Idk if I attached it right, tried the datalog file itself but it wouldn't let me, so just zipped it.
To do a good comparison, you need to do a before and after datalog comparison.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I do I have some data on this that is relatively good but I’m waiting for a thermal camera that should be here Friday before I post all the data.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This Ti tubing cannot be sandblasted, so we can promise that this was not the case. The thermal coating is applied very thin and is not intended to appear like a painted surface, resulting in some inconsistencies in finish from time-to-time. Regardless, this should not affect performance.

We do not see this be a defect, as this is to be expected from non-polished, mill-finished tubing.
Thanks, I was curious about that. When I first got mine installed and wiped off all the hand prints my microfiber towel would get stuck on spots but glide over others. Feel it with your finger and it doesn't feel textured like the cloth hitting resistance would suggest.
Sponsored