RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
I’d love to be proven wrong. If someone can provide that data, my wallet is ready
I think most people are right there with you. Does it make more power? I'm doubtful, but I'm sure it does feed more air into the turbo. It's wider so how could it not. Will that translate to more power again, doubtful. But I'm really interested in the temp stability of it with the coating. How fast it stabilizes/recovers and effects temps on the whole. I'm hoping I can do some testing with it compared to stock, thermal coated, and uncoated. I'm with you and would like some actual numbers to back anything up
Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Just to be clear. I’m not saying you’re wrong. You’re providing helpful data. From what I’ve seen, you know your shit. I was raised by hippies so I am trying to keep open minds.
Thanks! I just don’t know who to believe anymore on coatings. Throughout my research I’ve seen conflicting things saying coatings do help and others saying it doesn’t do anything.

Not sure if you have a pyrometer or not but I’ve taken temp readings on the stock aluminum inlet and I’ve seen temps around 100-140F on the pipe. 140 reading taken from the spot near the turbo. Would be interesting to see if temps are lower with the coating

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks! I just don’t know who to believe anymore on coatings. Throughout my research I’ve seen conflicting things saying coatings do help and others saying it doesn’t do anything.

Not sure if you have a pyrometer or not but I’ve taken temp readings on the stock aluminum inlet and I’ve seen temps around 100-140F on the pipe. 140 reading taken from the spot near the turbo. Would be interesting to see if temps are lower with the coating
I do have a pyrometer. The tricky thing with them and thermal cameras is they have a specific emissivity. The default I’ve seen is 0.95 but the actual emissivity of oxidized aluminum is ~0.8. That means the actual temperature is higher than 140 (about 155). I have some ideas to compensate and take accurate ambient air temperatures under the hood.

I understand your skepticism. The problem with this scene is some people with incentive will misuse science to turn a profit or maintain ego. It’s usually gets told with a simple explanation but in reality it’s way more complex problem. I’ve seen these thin films work well. I’ve also seen them make things worse. Let’s see how this applications goes.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I do have a pyrometer. The tricky thing with them and thermal cameras is they have a specific emissivity. The default I’ve seen is 0.95 but the actual emissivity of oxidized aluminum is ~0.8. That means the actual temperature is higher than 140 (about 155). I have some ideas to compensate and take accurate ambient air temperatures under the hood.

I understand your skepticism. The problem with this scene is some people with incentive will misuse science to turn a profit or maintain ego. It’s usually gets told with a simple explanation but in reality it’s way more complex problem. I’ve seen these thin films work well. I’ve also seen them make things worse. Let’s see how this applications goes.
I look forward to the results. I myself was going to take the plunge with the PRL Ti inlet and get it cerakoted but after finding little to no evidence of it helping, I scrapped the project

OP
OP
RBrackett

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well mine just arrived and I didn't expect the inside to be coated but it is.....

OP
OP
RBrackett

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Now just to wait another 2 MONTHS for the rest of my parts to come in.... Seriously I order back in May. Wait is too long.

Once all the parts come it I'll be doing some test with my IATs. Stock, then stock TIP + Intake, Ti Coated TIP, then hopefully uncoated TIP.

OP
OP
RBrackett

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some pics out of the box and inside the piping. Plan to put it on later, but I’m also doing the downpipe at the same time so likely won’t be able to do any logging until tomorrow so I can pb the bolts for the downpipe a few times.

E006151A-1A7A-4137-848C-E233FF000362.jpeg

514E9064-A2EA-4AA7-8110-D568F18CCA24.jpeg

1B27E690-112B-4F1B-99CF-143DEE3685AB.jpeg

0A4DE5B9-20B3-4C53-8F16-AD18F75A1412.jpeg
im glad you posted pics! i was too lazy to post pics last night lol

OP
OP
RBrackett

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Idk if my GF meant to or not, but she somehow managed to make sure to get the PRL stickers in each pic, like they're meant to be there for marketing/branding, except the inside one lol
A+ for product placement lol

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got my TIP when they first came out.. what funny is, I did ask PRL back then if I should thermal coat the pipe... their answer to me is...they see no benefit doing thermal coating on TIP and such coating will not help heat dissipation with this pipe.
But now they do it... I think it is a complete gimmick or they just coat over their existing blemishes TIP..

Last edited:

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I stand corrected. I know I tried to promote open mindedness about PRL and why they are offering this...

There’s a nice deep zig zag scratch. They tried to tell me it is not a defect.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL TIP Thermal Coated Available A86A6E62-FEB8-417F-904E-1427E27F7F26

OP
OP
RBrackett

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I stand corrected. I know I tried to promote open mindedness about PRL and why they are offering this...

There’s a nice deep zig zag scratch. They tried to tell me it is not a defect.
A86A6E62-FEB8-417F-904E-1427E27F7F26.jpeg
Yea, just opened up my TIP now and saw this on the silicone coupler between the Ti and Aluminum piece. Not sure if it would effect it but yea not a complete seal

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL TIP Thermal Coated Available 20200812_112400

OP
OP
RBrackett

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My TIP on the other hand doesn't have any marks/scuffs worthy noting. Underside of the mounting eyelets are a little rough but nothing major

Last edited:
OP
OP
RBrackett

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
PRL responded to my email saying it will still seal and won't be a problem

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL TIP Thermal Coated Available 20200812_130108

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
PRL responded to my email saying it will still seal and won't be a problem
I think the seal will be fine. As long as no more of ridge breaks loose, you'll be fine. I'm a little disappointed in the quality. IMHO, MIshimoto's customer service is much better than PRL. I contacted Mishimoto about the size of a fitting that I wanted to replace and they offered to replace the whole product.
Sponsored