PRL Stage 1 (1.5T Si) question...

Nitori

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2016 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Hey there PRL! I ordered a stage 1 intake setup and a set of the upgraded intercooler hoses just a moment ago. Looking forward to my first real mod on my new Si.

Had a question about the filter though, I live out in the desert by Phoenix AZ and we get DUSTY weather very very often. Hell, my oiled stock filter already has a nice splotch on it and I have less than 1000 miles on the car right now!:eek:

So, should I be looking at getting a dry filter that I can blast off with a compressor regularly, or is it a wiser idea to stick with the oiled filter you guys provided and just clean it more often?

I figure Honda OEM is oiled paper for a reason but, just wondering because I have a somewhat unique use case scenario. I hear dry filters (like AFE) do filter slightly better and make for easier cleaning.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the PRL silicone intake hose but prefer the dry filters versus the Green oiled filter PRL uses. The Green filter or the K&N may flow slightly better than the performance dry type but I just feel "safer" with the dry ones.

I've used both the aFe Pro Dry S and the AEM Dryflow. Both are similar. I love the fact I can just vacuum them out to quickly get back to 95% efficiency, or just soapy water and rinse for 100%.

In your dust bowl climate, I'd definitely prefer the dry type for ease of cleaning. And no worries about over-oiling after cleaning.

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey there PRL! I ordered a stage 1 intake setup and a set of the upgraded intercooler hoses just a moment ago. Looking forward to my first real mod on my new Si.

Had a question about the filter though, I live out in the desert by Phoenix AZ and we get DUSTY weather very very often. Hell, my oiled stock filter already has a nice splotch on it and I have less than 1000 miles on the car right now!:eek:

So, should I be looking at getting a dry filter that I can blast off with a compressor regularly, or is it a wiser idea to stick with the oiled filter you guys provided and just clean it more often?

I figure Honda OEM is oiled paper for a reason but, just wondering because I have a somewhat unique use case scenario. I hear dry filters (like AFE) do filter slightly better and make for easier cleaning.
I'm in the Valley too and I bought this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7BU5S/
I got blue since I have an Aegean blue Si
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Stage 1 (1.5T Si) question... IMG_20180527_151438

OP
OP
Nitori

Nitori

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I bought the PRL silicone intake hose but prefer the dry filters versus the Green oiled filter PRL uses. The Green filter or the K&N may flow slightly better than the performance dry type but I just feel "safer" with the dry ones.

I've used both the aFe Pro Dry S and the AEM Dryflow. Both are similar. I love the fact I can just vacuum them out to quickly get back to 95% efficiency, or just soapy water and rinse for 100%.

In your dust bowl climate, I'd definitely prefer the dry type for ease of cleaning. And no worries about over-oiling after cleaning.
Yeah I think I will grab an aFe, I had one on my truck for a while, but since it has a reasonably good snorkel setup in the fender well there was very little dust actually getting through and I switched back to plain old OEM.

I'm in the Valley too and I bought this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7BU5S/
I got blue since I have an Aegean blue Si
IMG_20180527_151438.jpg
Do they make those for panel filters? The stage 1 is different from the Cobra, it's just a panel filter in the stock airbox with upgraded hose.

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
oh, not the short-ram?
not sure then...I wouldn't get something oiled in our area tho, you're better shaking out dust every month rather than washing it...

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag

Hey there, we apologize for the delay! We always feel that an oiled filter is optimal in comparison to dry. There's a reason Honda filters are oiled from the factory. ;) Since the Stage 1 intake system uses the same style/concept design as the factory intake system, you can follow the factory maintenance schedule, though, it may not be a bad idea to keep an eye on this a bit more with location. Simply clean and recharge the filter when necessary.

OP
OP
Nitori

Nitori

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey there, we apologize for the delay! We always feel that an oiled filter is optimal in comparison to dry. There's a reason Honda filters are oiled from the factory. ;) Since the Stage 1 intake system uses the same style/concept design as the factory intake system, you can follow the factory maintenance schedule, though, it may not be a bad idea to keep an eye on this a bit more with location. Simply clean and recharge the filter when necessary.
No worries, I appreciate you guys taking the time to write a reply!
Can you expand a little on why you feel that way about oiled vs dry?

Filters aren't exactly going to break the bank so I figured I would buy an AEM dry filter and check it out at the very least. Right now looking between the 2, my gut says go AEM but I'm willing to listen to some reason here...

To give you an idea I am really really not BS'ing you about the dust bowl I live in, I see dust devils almost daily on my commute home from work, and this is what my strut tower looks after about 900 miles:
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Stage 1 (1.5T Si) question... IMG_2360.JPG

My filter sees plenty of it too:
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Stage 1 (1.5T Si) question... IMG_2362.JPG

Again, keep in mind this is with less than 1000 miles on the clock!!

The green filter is a really nicely made filter, don't get me wrong, but I just feel a little uneasy when I hold it up to the light and I can pretty clearly see light coming through. It passes a whole heck of a lot more light than the AEM or stock filter.

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
No worries, I appreciate you guys taking the time to write a reply!
Can you expand a little on why you feel that way about oiled vs dry?

Filters aren't exactly going to break the bank so I figured I would buy an AEM dry filter and check it out at the very least. Right now looking between the 2, my gut says go AEM but I'm willing to listen to some reason here...

To give you an idea I am really really not BS'ing you about the dust bowl I live in, I see dust devils almost daily on my commute home from work, and this is what my strut tower looks after about 900 miles:
IMG_2360.JPG

My filter sees plenty of it too:
IMG_2362.JPG

Again, keep in mind this is with less than 1000 miles on the clock!!

The green filter is a really nicely made filter, don't get me wrong, but I just feel a little uneasy when I hold it up to the light and I can pretty clearly see light coming through. It passes a whole heck of a lot more light than the AEM or stock filter.
Ouch, that's definitely not good! :eek:

We prefer oiled filters for a few reasons:
  1. They are reusable, easy to maintain and typically have a much higher service life.
  2. They typically flow more air in comparison to a dry filter
Given your location, a dry filter may be your best bet if you do not wish to constantly be cleaning filters. However, the flip side to this would be the constant replacement of dry filters.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Ouch, that's definitely not good! :eek:

We prefer oiled filters for a few reasons:
  1. They are reusable, easy to maintain and typically have a much higher service life.
  2. They typically flow more air in comparison to a dry filter
Given your location, a dry filter may be your best bet if you do not wish to constantly be cleaning filters. However, the flip side to this would be the constant replacement of dry filters.
PRL, what do you mean by the constant replacement of dry filters? I've vacuumed and cleaned my AEM DryFlow filters in several cars for years and they seem as good and clean as the day I first bought them.

I know aftermarket oiled filters flow better, that's a fact. But they also tend to not filter quite as well as the dry type. I've had many a K&N and I know the Green filters are good too. But, I like the overall simplicity of the dry filter maintenance and the fact they flow a bit better than stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitori

Nitori

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I made the decision to install the AEM filter today, just because of the whole dust thing. I feel more comfortable leaving that power on the table to gain peace of mind as far as being able to clean it more often, more easily. Thanks for all the input everyone!!! :)

I'm also so glad this is the type of community where this didn't turn into a fest of namecalling and private message sh*t-talking for daring to "challenge" a vendor by asking a question. (Really wish I was joking there, some places... :crazy: )

On a completely different note, are you aware that the stock breather hose on regular 1.5T and Si is actually slightly different? I went into some parts catalogs to verify and sure enough, it's true! Every other intake related hose has the same part number between 1.5T and Si, except for the breather:
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Stage 1 (1.5T Si) question... IMG_2378.JPG

It's just a tiny trim on the inlet pipe side, but it threw me for a loop!

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I made the decision to install the AEM filter today, just because of the whole dust thing. I feel more comfortable leaving that power on the table to gain peace of mind as far as being able to clean it more often, more easily. Thanks for all the input everyone!!! :)

I'm also so glad this is the type of community where this didn't turn into a fest of namecalling and private message sh*t-talking for daring to "challenge" a vendor by asking a question. (Really wish I was joking there, some places... :crazy: )

On a completely different note, are you aware that the stock breather hose on regular 1.5T and Si is actually slightly different? I went into some parts catalogs to verify and sure enough, it's true! Every other intake related hose has the same part number between 1.5T and Si, except for the breather:
IMG_2378.JPG

It's just a tiny trim on the inlet pipe side, but it threw me for a loop!
Where is that again? Mine doesn't look anything like that.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

LilToTo17