Si PRL Short Ram Intake (SRI) Vs Cobra Cold Air Intake: Is the CAI worth the extra cost and why?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but does anyone switch from their SRI to CAI between seasons? SRI in the winter and CAI in the summer? I’m in California, I know it doesn’t rain, but if I have the option, might as well take advantage. I’ll also be running the street maf.

(already tried searching for the answers on forum/Facebook)
I used too switch if/when it was raining hard outside. A flathead screwdriver and about 30 seconds is all I needed. A filter for the SRI setup was kept in the trunk. Now I just run an SRI full time since I have an aftermarket intercooler.
Sponsored

markie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2020
Country flag
I used too switch if/when it was raining hard outside. A flathead screwdriver and about 30 seconds is all I needed. A filter for the SRI setup was kept in the trunk. Now I just run an SRI full time since I have an aftermarket intercooler.
Sweet thanks for the info, I’ll probably start with an SRI since it’ll rain soon.

Reactions: Myx

Arko.be

First Name
Arkadiusz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x
Country flag
Hello friends, I reheat the topic. I have read the whole topic and I conclude that since I live in Denmark where it rains 80% and it is around 10 ° C, the best choice for me would be SRI. Right?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hello friends, I reheat the topic. I have read the whole topic and I conclude that since I live in Denmark where it rains 80% and it is around 10 ° C, the best choice for me would be SRI. Right?
Not necessarily.

An SRI is more about sound. It will heat soak more than the stock airbox. The big plus with an SRI is the ease of install. Most CAI's are vastly superior.

Hydrolock is not about driving in rain. The filter getting a bit wet is not the issue with potential hydrolock. It's about whether your area is prone to flooding and deep standing water on the roads you drive. To hydrolock an engine, the filter has to be submerged in water.

Have said that, living in a cooler climate like Denmark, an SRI may not be a bad choice. Are you mostly looking for louder sounds?

Arko.be

First Name
Arkadiusz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x
Country flag
As for me, the sound is only in second place, so I'm mostly interested in the performance, how much can be squeezed out of this engine. And of course, it rains 80% but the roads are not flooded, it just rains ???

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As for me, the sound is only in second place, so I'm mostly interested in the performance, how much can be squeezed out of this engine. And of course, it rains 80% but the roads are not flooded, it just rains ???
For performance it all starts with Hondata or KTuner. Plain and simple. Intakes by themselves will give very minor power gains.

Last edited:

Arko.be

First Name
Arkadiusz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x
Country flag
For performance it all starts with Hondata or KTuner. Plain and simple. Intakes by themselves will give very minor power gains.
I read an I watch a lot that’s why I order ktuner. But now I’m looking at the intake system witch can increase the performance and be the perfect in the climate where I ride with my Honda ?

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I read an I watch a lot that’s why I order ktuner. But now I’m looking at the intake system witch can increase the performance and be the perfect in the climate where I ride with my Honda ?
I am using a PRL SRI (which I got used in excellent condition) and I am very happy with it combined with my Ktuner. The nice thing is I can buy a PRL conversion kit and convert it to CAI if\when I want that. I highly recommend.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just to clear one thing up. Yes, I believe CAI's give the best performance gains, but an SRI (not named Injen) isn't a bad choice. Over the years, I've installed 5 or 6 aftermarket intakes. All but one was a short ram. :cool:

I also ran something called a K&N Apollo CIS which was sort of a hybrid. I liked it because it was basically an SRI with a K&N cone filter in a sealed plastic housing with a hose that you ran wherever you wanted to draw cold air. The hose could be detached in less than a minute if heavy rain was expected.

Here's that setup in my old Elantra GT hatch:

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Short Ram Intake (SRI) Vs Cobra Cold Air Intake: Is the CAI worth the extra cost and why? post-1-1273179979 (1)
Sponsored

Last edited: