PRL Short Ram and Muffler Delete running lean?

ericscott21

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
I installed a PRL Short Ram Intake and my car seems to be running lean when my turbo spools up. I lost a decent amount of torque as soon as i installed the intake and i was curious if anyone knew if the car was running too lean due to too much breathe-ability compared to the amount of fuel. i do not have a tune but now am strongly considering it due to the loss of power from the SRI.
p.s.- the SRI sounds amazing and has a great spool/blowoff sound so i would much rather get a tune than take it out. Thank you!!
Sponsored

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
You will probably need a tune for the sri. Im pretty sure most of them throw off your fuel trims to a degree.

OP
OP
ericscott21

ericscott21

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
You will probably need a tune for the sri. Im pretty sure most of them throw off your fuel trims to a degree.
gotcha. i’m fairly new to tuning and stuff like that i’ve never gotten a car tunes before. do you have an estimate about how much a tune would be to just improve gas flow? i’m not too worried about losing MPG

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
gotcha. i’m fairly new to tuning and stuff like that i’ve never gotten a car tunes before. do you have an estimate about how much a tune would be to just improve gas flow? i’m not too worried about losing MPG
If you have ktuner or hondata i know they have premade tunes for certain intakes. I believe your prl is one of them.

If you dont have either of those you will need to buy one to get a tune. Off the shelf tunes come with the purchase of those units. But if your intake doesn't have a corresponding tune to accompany it, a custom dyno tuning session can run from 150- 600$ in my area

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the same intake but I already had a ktuner with the tsp1 tune and my af is normal but I’m guessing it’s from the tune. Hopefully all you need is a ktuner to fix the issue.

OP
OP
ericscott21

ericscott21

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
I have the same intake but I already had a ktuner with the tsp1 tune and my af is normal but I’m guessing it’s from the tune. Hopefully all you need is a ktuner to fix the issue.
so would you recommend getting a Ktuner or getting a custom tune? i’m not sure which would be cheaper but i know i can’t let my car run this lean for too long

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so would you recommend getting a Ktuner or getting a custom tune? i’m not sure which would be cheaper but i know i can’t let my car run this lean for too long
You need a ktuner or hondata to even get a custom tune. Those products give you access to tune the ecu. They come with with some off the shelf tunes that are awesome. But they are also the same device a tuner will need you to have to give you a custom tune. Start with a ktuner and use the base maps. If you need more power then look up a tuner in your area and schedule some dyno time.

Baby steps

OP
OP
ericscott21

ericscott21

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
You need a ktuner or hondata to even get a custom tune. Those products give you access to tune the ecu. They come with with some off the shelf tunes that are awesome. But they are also the same device a tuner will need you to have to give you a custom tune. Start with a ktuner and use the base maps. If you need more power then look up a tuner in your area and schedule some dyno time.

Baby steps
ohhh okay i didn’t realize you needed a Ktuner to access the ECU. i’m really new to tuning i wasn’t even planning on getting the car tuned but it is running too lean for my likings. i will look into getting a Ktuner now. i appreciate the advice, thank you very much!

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ohhh okay i didn’t realize you needed a Ktuner to access the ECU. i’m really new to tuning i wasn’t even planning on getting the car tuned but it is running too lean for my likings. i will look into getting a Ktuner now. i appreciate the advice, thank you very much!
Happy modding my guy! :headbang:

MaTtKs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PRL specifically says that you do not need a tune with their Street MAF Housing, assuming OP has the Street housing and not the Race Housing. Also backed up with data logs by users here, but I can't find the thread on mobile at the moment.

This SRI utilizes a 4" air filter and is available with two different MAF housing choices; a Street housing and a Race housing. Both housings utilizes the factory MAF sensor, but feature two different diameters and profiles. As mentioned above, the Street housing is designed to provide factory-spec fuel trims WITHOUT any tuning whatsoever. The Race housing allows a 50% larger volume of air in comparison to the Street housing, which is why a tune IS required. This larger volume of airflow reduces pumping loss and creates an unrestricted air path to feed the MAF housing with ambient temperature air.
https://prlmotorsports.com/civicxshortramintakeSi.aspx

Last edited:

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
PRL specifically says that you do not need a tune with their Street MAF Housing, assuming OP has the Street housing and not the . Also backed up with data logs by users here, but I can't find the thread on mobile at the moment.
There is your answer!

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea, that’s the first thing I bought. Best bang for your buck. A tune is like an additional $500-$1000 on top. Just get a ktuner and you’ll be just fine.

OP
OP
ericscott21

ericscott21

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
PRL specifically says that you do not need a tune with their Street MAF Housing, assuming OP has the Street housing and not the Race Housing. Also backed up with data logs by users here, but I can't find the thread on mobile at the moment.

https://prlmotorsports.com/civicxshortramintakeSi.aspx
I thought that i wouldn’t need a tune too but i think since my car has a lot less back pressure that it might be running lean but i’m not completely sure. the torque on my car has gone down substantially from what it was before i installed the intake. Would the muffler delete along with the added flow of air cause this?

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If prl deems it safe on a stock tune, it probably is.
I thought that i wouldn’t need a tune too but i think since my car has a lot less back pressure that it might be running lean but i’m not completely sure. the torque on my car has gone down substantially from what it was before i installed the intake. Would the muffler delete along with the added flow of air cause this?
If you put your stock intake back on you are going to see your low end torque come back in my experience.

OP
OP
ericscott21

ericscott21

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
If prl deems it safe on a stock tune, it probably is.

If you put your stock intake back on you are going to see your low end torque come back in my experience.
the short ram sounds way too good to be putting the stock intake back on haha. i might just take the loss of power until i can save up to get a Ktuner. thank you for the help!!
Sponsored