Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
So here we have it... :headbang:

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Type-R Turbo Swapped 1.5T Civic Si Type%20R%20Turbo%20Swap_zpsegxqmy13

326 hp & 305 tq on 93 octane pump gas and 342 hp & 319 tq on e30 blend fuel. We were very impressed with the pump gas power!

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Type-R Turbo Swapped 1.5T Civic Si Type%20R%20Turbo%20vs_zps4nrxvivl

Here is an e30 blend comparison of the stock turbo vs the Type-R turbo. Obviously with the larger turbo comes more turbo lag, about 1000 RPM worth. However, the engine now pulls to redline and peaks near 7000 RPM instead of 5200 RPM. The Type-R turbo softened the bottom-end torque spike significantly and made 20 ft/lbs less peak torque than the stock turbo. This powerband looks much safer on the stock motor/connecting rods. ;)

@KTuner and @VitViper worked their magic on the VTC tables to make this setup work properly and pull to redline. We managed to hold ~29 PSI all the way to redline, unlike the Type-R 2.0T 's engine and turbo setup that starts dropping boost pressure up top. This just goes to show how well the small displacement 1.5L breathes with a larger turbo/turbine. The next obstacle to overcome is fueling, as we have now maxed out the factory fuel system.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This powerband looks much safer on the stock motor/connecting rods. ;)
:yes:

Great results! I am curious though, with more fuel could you get more out of this particular setup?

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
29psi :respect: was this on factory internals? I'm assuming this was a SI as well.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
this cant be safe for this little 1.5 is it? also is this plug and play?
This Type R turbo swap was just for testing only.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
If the upcoming big turbo kit is based on this, then I would be interested in understanding whether internals would be required to be safe, and what the target cost would be.

I've been holding fire on my purchases of the current PRL lineup in the hopes of maximizing my power/$ investment.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
If the upcoming big turbo kit is based on this, then I would be interested in understanding whether internals would be required to be safe, and what the target cost would be.

I've been holding fire on my purchases of the current PRL lineup in the hopes of maximizing my power/$ investment.
Same

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag

Any kit we finalize will utilize our cobra cold air intake and front mount intercooler kit, along with the front pipe.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Any chance a water/meth kit would help with the fuel limitation? Untill possible upgraded fuel system options come out.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Learn about turbocharging. Psi is irrelevant. It’s about power and torque.
I wouldn't say it's irrelevant.. but 29 at 7000rpm is easier on the engine then the same at 4-5k. Torque brakes things and with boost down low you make alot more tq. Move the boost up in the high range and you'll make more hp/power. That being said, to much boost and it dosnt matter where you're making it.

Seeing 29psi on factory internals,on a 1.5 consumer Honda engine, is impressive in my mind. Even with it being moved to the high rpms, vs our rod bending stock turbo.
Sponsored