Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
the differences between street and race maf are only diameter of air intake side? or does it have any other technical differences?
i mean can i use 3"intake side and 2,5" air outside maf for race maf with ktuner setting?
Thanks for your answer. By the way can you measure the diameter of these items?
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here or trying to accomplish, but all necessary data has been covered in this thread, our original product development thread and product listing(s). The only difference between the Street and Race MAF housings are the ID (where the sensor sits) and upper hose that attaches the MAF housing to the turbocharger inlet pipe due to the MAF housing diameter difference. With that being said, the measurements and specs aren't just clean, even numbers like 2.5" or 3", there is actually a rhyme and reason our intake's measurements that we do not wish to have publicly available.
Sponsored

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Also, using a stock size pipe from MAF to inlet pipe would defeat the entire purpose of the larger Race MAF housing. No point in increasing MAF sensor readings just to choke the flow down to stock. Your AFR would be all kinds of out of whack. Just buy the Cobra Race or conversion kit and call it a day.

gcapraz

First Name
Gökhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport plus
Country flag
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here or trying to accomplish, but all necessary data has been covered in this thread, our original product development thread and product listing(s). The only difference between the Street and Race MAF housings are the ID (where the sensor sits) and upper hose that attaches the MAF housing to the turbocharger inlet pipe due to the MAF housing diameter difference. With that being said, the measurements and specs aren't just clean, even numbers like 2.5" or 3", there is actually a rhyme and reason our intake's measurements that we do not wish to have publicly available.
i just try to understand what makes different to use street maf or race maf. Only change size of pipe its ok but if there is another thingsto making differences, i just try to learn it.

by the way if we use 3 or more inc size intake pipe before maf housing, does it makes same effect like race maf? why am i asking that questions? because i try to use race maf selection by ktuner solution.

gcapraz

First Name
Gökhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport plus
Country flag
Also, using a stock size pipe from MAF to inlet pipe would defeat the entire purpose of the larger Race MAF housing. No point in increasing MAF sensor readings just to choke the flow down to stock. Your AFR would be all kinds of out of whack. Just buy the Cobra Race or conversion kit and call it a day.
For my idea, if you dont know how to works the things you are buying it for your cars, you can not understand how your car like it or not.
Buying the things are easy. buy and assembly it then use it. dont ask any question. thats not my style.

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
For my idea, if you dont know how to works the things you are buying it for your cars, you can not understand how your car like it or not.
Buying the things are easy. buy and assembly it then use it. dont ask any question. thats not my style.
But you know that it's approximately 50% larger than stock or the street MAF, as per PRL's website and promotional and R&D posts. You're asking for very specific numbers, and you're asking if it's possible to use it incorrectly. I respect asking questions and wanting to understand our cars and these mods better, but I don't see how that's helping you understand "how it works".

And if you're trying to use the Race MAF scaling option on KTuner, it is specifically calibrated for the PRL Race MAF housing. Using larger intake piping won't make a difference if the air volume allowed to flow past the sensor remains the same. The MAF housing size is the only difference between the street and the race because that is what affects the amount of air and oxygen the sensor is exposed to.

Last edited:

Jtantuco

luv_SIc
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there a distinct sound difference between the two MAF housings? I’m guessing the race would be louder since it’s letting in more air?

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Is there a distinct sound difference between the two MAF housings? I’m guessing the race would be louder since it’s letting in more air?
It is the “voltage” that is differentiated, not the sound.

jernav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Is there a tune I can get for a PRL CAI street intake if I wanted to get one?

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
The street version is able to be installed onto a completely stock vehicle directly off the dealer's lot. You're always welcome to get a custom tune with the street MAF it will maximize your current setup. This can be done via e-tuning or with any shop that can tune your engine management system.

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
No. Any tune meant for a stock OEM MAF housing size will work with the street CAI because the street MAF housing has a negligible difference in size compared to the OEM (less than 6% different I believe).

Tamster

First Name
Tamtam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si coupe
Country flag
We've been receiving quite a few inquiries about Race MAF gains in comparison to the Street MAF housing so we decided to do another back-to-back test for you guys.

This car was equipped with our Cobra CAI, downpipe, front pipe and @KTuner 23 PSI 93 Octane basemap for testing.

Eric%20Street%20MAF_zpsjsgpfj6l.jpg

We performed 3 consecutive dyno pulls with the Street MAF housing starting at 175 degree coolant temps to around 180 degrees. The car put down similar consistent numbers within a 3 horsepower and 4 ft/lb tq window.

Eric%20Race%20MAF_zpsqijaoivp.jpg

We performed 3 consecutive dyno pulls with the Race MAF housing using KTuner's Race MAF basemap starting at 175 degree coolant temps to around 180 degrees. The car put down similar consistent numbers within a 1 horsepower and 5 ft/lb tq window.

Eric%20Street%20vs%20Race_zpsyslecs0y.jpg

We used "Run 4" as an average comparison due to identical run conditions. The Race MAF provide a 4-5 hp and 2 ft/lb tq gain at peak and 10hp/10tq gains throughout the midrange over-top of the Street MAF. Another thing to note is the fact that knock control continued to decrease with the Race MAF housing. We started the runs at .65 knock control and continued improve to .45.

In case anyone was unaware, KTuner now offers safe and effective Race MAF housing-specific basemaps for our cold air and short ram intake systems. The Race MAF housing provides nice little gains up top and very notable gains throughout the midrange.