Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
We've been receiving quite a few inquiries about Race MAF gains in comparison to the Street MAF housing so we decided to do another back-to-back test for you guys.

This car was equipped with our Cobra CAI, downpipe, front pipe and @KTuner 23 PSI 93 Octane basemap for testing.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Street & Race MAF Housing Comparison Eric%20Street%20MAF_zpsjsgpfj6l

We performed 3 consecutive dyno pulls with the Street MAF housing starting at 175 degree coolant temps to around 180 degrees. The car put down similar consistent numbers within a 3 horsepower and 4 ft/lb tq window.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Street & Race MAF Housing Comparison Eric%20Race%20MAF_zpsqijaoiv

We performed 3 consecutive dyno pulls with the Race MAF housing using KTuner's Race MAF basemap starting at 175 degree coolant temps to around 180 degrees. The car put down similar consistent numbers within a 1 horsepower and 5 ft/lb tq window.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Street & Race MAF Housing Comparison Eric%20Street%20vs%20Race_zpsyslecs0y

We used "Run 4" as an average comparison due to identical run conditions. The Race MAF provide a 4-5 hp and 2 ft/lb tq gain at peak and 10hp/10tq gains throughout the midrange over-top of the Street MAF. Another thing to note is the fact that knock control continued to decrease with the Race MAF housing. We started the runs at .65 knock control and continued improve to .45.

In case anyone was unaware, KTuner now offers safe and effective Race MAF housing-specific basemaps for our cold air and short ram intake systems. The Race MAF housing provides nice little gains up top and very notable gains throughout the midrange.

LightX

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I know it’s not ideal(even stupid) but would the possibility of putting the Race MAF into another intake be okay assuming the Race MAF fits?

Currently have 27Won intake and would like the Race MAF on it as an idea.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
The intake side of the MAF would likely not fit properly with the opening of the 27Won airbox. They are likely different diameters.

Jazzek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EXT, 2003 Taco
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In case anyone was unaware, KTuner now offers safe and effective Race MAF housing-specific basemaps for our cold air and short ram intake systems. The Race MAF housing provides nice little gains up top and very notable gains throughout the midrange.
Is this true for non-SI/CVT as well? Haven't seen it and definitely could use it!

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
[QUOTE="PRL Motorsports,
In case anyone was unaware, KTuner now offers safe and effective Race MAF housing-specific basemaps for our cold air and short ram intake systems. The Race MAF housing provides nice little gains up top and very notable gains throughout the midrange.[/QUOTE]

That is great to know you've got tunes now for the race MAF. Will that include a 92 octane? In my area, we don't have 93...sadface.

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know it’s not ideal(even stupid) but would the possibility of putting the Race MAF into another intake be okay assuming the Race MAF fits?

Currently have 27Won intake and would like the Race MAF on it as an idea.
Our intake components are only compatible with our intake systems.

Is this true for non-SI/CVT as well? Haven't seen it and definitely could use it!
Yes, we have these available on our site.

@PRL Motorsports how much is it to convert from street to race maf?
[/QUOTE]
We have conversion kits on our site!

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
Where in the KTuner software would I see options for the PRL intake/MAF? Does it retain stock driving characteristics with the race MAF? I have a 2018 EX-T manual that is my daily driver and can’t afford drivability issues.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The upcoming release has an option right in the MAF section of main parameters to choose the RACE MAF.

You'll see fuel trims jump around in low flow situations, but overall nobody has complained about drivability.

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The upcoming release has an option right in the MAF section of main parameters to choose the RACE MAF.

You'll see fuel trims jump around in low flow situations, but overall nobody has complained about drivability.
Thanks!

Is there any gains to be had with the race MAF if the only mass I have are the PRL cold air and the KTuner?

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The RACE MAF really comes in handy if you're going for the maximum power you can get out of the setup. If you're just doing the intake and basemap it'll gain you only a couple extra ponies.

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The RACE MAF really comes in handy if you're going for the maximum power you can get out of the setup. If you're just doing the intake and basemap it'll gain you only a couple extra ponies.
I suspect that his all I will do at least for a few years.

The Race Maf doesn’t cost anymore though...so if it still drives as nice as the street there is no harm I guess.

Turtle3000

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe , 2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8 SE
Country flag
I am sorry for this probably noobish question, but I am on the cusp of purchasing a PRL Cobra CAI intake. I will probably tune later, but I am aware that the Street MAF gets 9-14 HP gains without tune, as per the product page. Does the Race MAF get that as well without tune? Will I still see that 9-14 HP gains without tuning? Thanks for the help, guys and gals!

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am sorry for this probably noobish question, but I am on the cusp of purchasing a PRL Cobra CAI intake. I will probably tune later, but I am aware that the Street MAF gets 9-14 HP gains without tune, as per the product page. Does the Race MAF get that as well without tune? Will I still see that 9-14 HP gains without tuning? Thanks for the help, guys and gals!
The race MAF version will require a tune regardless to be able to run it properly, our race set up will yield another 4-8hp over the street version. If you'd like us to set you up with one please feel free to reach out to us. :)

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
I just purchased the catless downpipe, now deciding on PRLs SRI with race or street maf.. Will this be too much for my cvt? I do have a ktuner I haven't use yet as nothing is installed yet.. I need to hear the whoosh!
Sponsored