Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Project Snow White 10th Gen Si is now underway! We will be using this White Orchid Pearl coupe to test our PRL Motorsports products and push the limits of Honda's new DI 1.5T platform with the help from KTuner, LLC. First mod? Our Stage 1 Intake system while the dyno is getting moved this week. :thumbsup:

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White DSCN0644_zpsmcx7v462

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White DSCN0647_zps03pbma8l

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Resized_20170619_141226_zpsxbah3dn6

Like our past record setting 9th Gen Civic shop car, we will provide baseline dyno numbers and data with our in-house Dynojet Research Inc. We will also be testing and backing up our Civic X product line with before/after gains on the dyno and at our local Keystone Raceway Park drag strip and Pitt Race road course.

Our first impression? The 10th Gen Si is a very comfortable and well-performing car on the street; much more fun to drive than the 9th Gen Civic Si stock-for-stock. We are confident that this 1.5T will churn out some very fun/mpressive power with a reflash and simple bolt-ons. One major complain is how weak and spongy the factory clutch feels. The excessive rev-hang isn't too fun either, but this shouldn't be a problem for long ;).

So far we have confirmed that the following products currently fit both Si and Non-Si Civics:
  • Downpipe/Front Pipe Combo
  • Downpipe
  • Front Pipe
  • Stage 1 Intake System
  • Stock Replacement Intake Hose
  • High Flow Drop-In Air Filter

We are currently in the final stages of developing/testing our Cold Air Cobra Intake system for both the Si and Non-Si platform as well as our FMIC kit, stay tuned!

An upgraded 6-puck clutch is on its way to us from Clutch Masters as of today, and we are working on narrowing down a proper wheel/tire choice to handle road course abuse. Slicks, skinnies and proper suspension are next on the list to be ordered. ;)

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Is this 6 puck clutch the same one that VIT is using? I need to know how much I have to shell out lol

Project Snow White 10th Gen Si is now underway! We will be using this White Orchid Pearl coupe to test our PRL Motorsports products and push the limits of Honda's new DI 1.5T platform with the help from KTuner, LLC. First mod? Our Stage 1 Intake system while the dyno is getting moved this week. :thumbsup:

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White DSCN0644_zpsmcx7v462

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White DSCN0647_zps03pbma8l

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Resized_20170619_141226_zpsxbah3dn6

Like our past record setting 9th Gen Civic shop car, we will provide baseline dyno numbers and data with our in-house Dynojet Research Inc. We will also be testing and backing up our Civic X product line with before/after gains on the dyno and at our local Keystone Raceway Park drag strip and Pitt Race road course.

Our first impression? The 10th Gen Si is a very comfortable and well-performing car on the street; much more fun to drive than the 9th Gen Civic Si stock-for-stock. We are confident that this 1.5T will churn out some very fun/mpressive power with a reflash and simple bolt-ons. One major complain is how weak and spongy the factory clutch feels. The excessive rev-hang isn't too fun either, but this shouldn't be a problem for long ;).

So far we have confirmed that the following products currently fit both Si and Non-Si Civics:
  • Downpipe/Front Pipe Combo
  • Downpipe
  • Front Pipe
  • Stage 1 Intake System
  • Stock Replacement Intake Hose
  • High Flow Drop-In Air Filter

We are currently in the final stages of developing/testing our Cold Air Cobra Intake system for both the Si and Non-Si platform as well as our FMIC kit, stay tuned!

An upgraded 6-puck clutch is on its way to us from Clutch Masters as of today, and we are working on narrowing down a proper wheel/tire choice to handle road course abuse. Slicks, skinnies and proper suspension are next on the list to be ordered. ;)

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Can't wait to see how all of your parts work together on the Si... good stuff :thumbsup:

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is this 6 puck clutch the same one that VIT is using? I need to know how much I have to shell out lol
To our knowledge, similar but not the same (just due to our preference). These will be available on our site later today!

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sweet. Also, the down pipe will work on an SI and no tune is required? I will get a tune eventually but does it work fine without it?

To our knowledge, similar but not the same (just due to our preference). These will be available on our site later today!

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sweet. Also, the down pipe will work on an SI and no tune is required? I will get a tune eventually but does it work fine without it?
You will need KTuner to disable o2/cat related CELs.

We got around to dynoing our Project Snow White Si earlier this morning and put together some graphs/data for the forum. We began testing this morning with the stock intake when the temperature was in the upper 60's (Farenheit) which is rather mild for this time of year in PA. Immediately we noticed how sensitive and vulnerable these cars are to heatsoak.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Civic%20X%20Stock%20Heat_zpsvfudlr1s

Above are three consecutive dyno pulls with only a few short minutes between each, notice how drastically power is lost as heat accumulates. The car made a best of 187 hp and 215 ft/lbs tq during the first pull. Typically we like to start dyno pulls around 180 degrees Farenheit for coolant temps and 100 degrees for air temps. We saw a max of 225 degrees for coolant temps and around 115 degrees for air temps towards the end of run 3. Notice how power drops at around 4400 RPM for runs 2 and 3? The knock control value increases and the ECU pulls timing. :doh:

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Civic%20X%20Stock%20Heat%202_zps6jitenzo

Here is a comparison of heaksoaked 3rd gear pulls and heatsoaked 4th gear pulls. Notice a trend? :hmm:

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Civic%20X%20Stock_zpskz5twhau

The car liked 3rd gear pulls much better, it kept temps almost tolerable. We saw 196 whp and 205 ft/lbs tq here.

While we were at it we decided to do some before/after runs testing our Stage 1 intake system. We never really anticipated this kit to be a big power maker, more or less a simple bolt-on mod for customers looking to improve aesthics and air flow. With that being said, we were rather impressed with what we came to find during testing.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Civic%20X%20Stage%201%20Int_zpsmmvcilvz

We recorded four dyno pulls with the Stage 1 Intake system. During the four 3rd gear pulls we noticed that the knock control value continued to drop, which shows an increase in efficiency, whereas the knock control value with the factory intake system is rather sporatic. As this knock control value decreases the ECU continues to add timing and allow the car to make more power. Our stock 10th Gen Civic Si made a best of 200 whp and 210 ft/lbs tq on our DynoJet.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Stock%20Int%20vs%20Stage%201%20Int%20Parameters_zpsl4galzhv

Here is a 3rd gear comparison of the stock intake system and our Stage 1 intake system. We chose to compare these runs because of how identical knock control values, coolant temps and air temps were (within +/-1%).

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Civic%20X%20Stock%20Int%20vs%20Stage%201%20Int_zpsdd0nq6xn

Here is a 4th gear comparison of the stock intake system and our Stage 1 intake system. Again, these two graphs show identical parameters. These numbers and gains held consistent into the late morning when temperatures rose about 7 degrees Fahrenheit into the mid 70's

With that being said, we managed to see mesaurable gains with our Stage 1 intake system in comparison to stock. Customers can expect a 4-9 whp gain without a tune by simply bolting in our high flow drop-in filter and silicone intake hose. We expect to see MUCH larger gains with our cold air intake system. :thumbsup:

Keeping coolant and air temps cool is crucial to keeping your engine happy. We are going to experiment with a thicker, more efficient radiator to imrove cooling, as well as begin testing our FMIC and CAI to see how that effects air temps!

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's a lot of good data right there. Thank you. I was wondering about your stage 1 kit but I think I'll wait on that CAI system you're making. I'm sure that one will require a tune, correct? Have an ETA or price thought on what that CAI will be? Thanks again for the work you guys do!

You will need KTuner to disable o2/cat related CELs.

We got around to dynoing our Project Snow White Si earlier this morning and put together some graphs/data for the forum. We began testing this morning with the stock intake when the temperature was in the upper 60's (Farenheit) which is rather mild for this time of year in PA. Immediately we noticed how sensitive and vulnerable these cars are to heatsoak.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Civic%20X%20Stock%20Heat_zpsvfudlr1s

Above are three consecutive dyno pulls with only a few short minutes between each, notice how drastically power is lost as heat accumulates. The car made a best of 187 hp and 215 ft/lbs tq during the first pull. Typically we like to start dyno pulls around 180 degrees Farenheit for coolant temps and 100 degrees for air temps. We saw a max of 225 degrees for coolant temps and around 115 degrees for air temps towards the end of run 3. Notice how power drops at around 4400 RPM for runs 2 and 3? The knock control value increases and the ECU pulls timing. :doh:

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Civic%20X%20Stock%20Heat%202_zps6jitenzo

Here is a comparison of heaksoaked 3rd gear pulls and heatsoaked 4th gear pulls. Notice a trend? :hmm:

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Civic%20X%20Stock_zpskz5twhau

The car liked 3rd gear pulls much better, it kept temps almost tolerable. We saw 196 whp and 205 ft/lbs tq here.

While we were at it we decided to do some before/after runs testing our Stage 1 intake system. We never really anticipated this kit to be a big power maker, more or less a simple bolt-on mod for customers looking to improve aesthics and air flow. With that being said, we were rather impressed with what we came to find during testing.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Civic%20X%20Stage%201%20Int_zpsmmvcilvz

We recorded four dyno pulls with the Stage 1 Intake system. During the four 3rd gear pulls we noticed that the knock control value continued to drop, which shows an increase in efficiency, whereas the knock control value with the factory intake system is rather sporatic. As this knock control value decreases the ECU continues to add timing and allow the car to make more power. Our stock 10th Gen Civic Si made a best of 200 whp and 210 ft/lbs tq on our DynoJet.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Stock%20Int%20vs%20Stage%201%20Int%20Parameters_zpsl4galzhv

Here is a 3rd gear comparison of the stock intake system and our Stage 1 intake system. We chose to compare these runs because of how identical knock control values, coolant temps and air temps were (within +/-1%).

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White Civic%20X%20Stock%20Int%20vs%20Stage%201%20Int_zpsdd0nq6xn

Here is a 4th gear comparison of the stock intake system and our Stage 1 intake system. Again, these two graphs show identical parameters. These numbers and gains held consistent into the late morning when temperatures rose about 7 degrees Fahrenheit into the mid 70's

With that being said, we managed to see mesaurable gains with our Stage 1 intake system in comparison to stock. Customers can expect a 4-9 whp gain without a tune by simply bolting in our high flow drop-in filter and silicone intake hose. We expect to see MUCH larger gains with our cold air intake system. :thumbsup:

Keeping coolant and air temps cool is crucial to keeping your engine happy. We are going to experiment with a thicker, more efficient radiator to imrove cooling, as well as begin testing our FMIC and CAI to see how that effects air temps!

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports thank you for documenting this... I will be sure to follow what your doing with your up and coming parts...:hmm: Very interested and amazed at quality of the products you offer :thumbsup:
:D
Now if you could just get a group buy started for the Cobra intake that would be great mmmmmmmmmmmkay:rofl:

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's a lot of good data right there. Thank you. I was wondering about your stage 1 kit but I think I'll wait on that CAI system you're making. I'm sure that one will require a tune, correct? Have an ETA or price thought on what that CAI will be? Thanks again for the work you guys do!
So far we are finding that our "Street" CAI will also be bolt-on that does not require a tune due to the fact we 3D scanned and machined an identical billet aluminum MAF housing to duplicate factory like driveability and response.

@PRL Motorsports thank you for documenting this... I will be sure to follow what your doing with your up and coming parts...:hmm: Very interested and amazed at quality of the products you offer :thumbsup:
:D
Now if you could just get a group buy started for the Cobra intake that would be great mmmmmmmmmmmkay:rofl:
No problem at all, it's what we're here for! :) We're always open to exposing our findings, in an effort to push this 1.5T platform further for everyone in the 10th Gen Community.

We plan to have these for sale in within the next two weeks or so!

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sweeeeeet. Whats the expected gains on the CAI? And what is FMIC? :)

So far we are finding that our "Street" CAI will also be bolt-on that does not require a tune due to the fact we 3D scanned and machined an identical billet aluminum MAF housing to duplicate factory like driveability and response.

No problem at all, it's what we're here for! :) We're always open to exposing our findings, in an effort to push this 1.5T platform further for everyone in the 10th Gen Community.

We plan to have these for sale in within the next two weeks or so!

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I doubt people will want a 6 puck for daily driving.
i rememeber when i drove my friends 99 civic with a six puck clutch around. that sucked in traffic, lol

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We've always used and recommended 6-puck clutches for most FWD/RWD race/heavy street applications making decent power/torque numbers. This car will be seeing heavy abuse from launching and high-rpm full-throttle-shifts, which is a big no-no for full-face organic clutches. Full-face organic discs have a tendency to slip and wear much quicker than puck-style clutches in from past experience; we've seen many organic discs birds-nest, or ball-up. If you plan on launching the car and racing on the track or in Mexico, we strongly suggest looking into a puck-style clutch setup.

There's always a trade-off, do you want a clutch that holds the power and abuse, or do you want a "comfortable" clutch? Keep in mind that the pressure plate and sprung vs unsprung disc plays a big part of the comfort factor. A sprung puck-style clutch with a moderate strength pressure plate can be street driven without much hassle (in our opinion). Rigid (unspring) discs with heavier pressure plates will be harder to drive, but this can be avoided for the average bolt-on guy. 95% of our 8th and 9th Gen customers daily drive or street drive their 6-puck clutch with our turbo kits and have no complaints.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
i rememeber when i drove my friends 99 civic with a six puck clutch around. that sucked in traffic, lol
OT, but have you ever eaten at Vitale's? Guam is a small place so I have to ask.
Sponsored