PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
Main issue right now is the MAF sensor is overwhelmed.
Nah, my main issue is that I’m looking at $4,500+ (VERY conservative estimate for the fuel system and the turbo upgrade without dyno time) for uninspiring results.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nah, my main issue is that I’m looking at $4,500+ (VERY conservative estimate for the fuel system and the turbo upgrade without dyno time) for uninspiring results.
I don't think you've seen what this turbo is really capable of yet. Give it more time for more results. :thumbsup:

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think you've seen what this turbo is really capable of yet. Give it more time for more results. :thumbsup:
This is exactly why I offered my car to test it 2 months ago. I have the upgrades necessary to see what it truly is capable of.In the end this is primarily aimed at 600 but it takes a whole lot more than a fuel system upgrade from Hondata and a bolt on turbo to support a 600hp resultt in the end. Big power costs big money. PRL is aimed at selling as many as possible and it makes sense as a business so it’s a great solution for those who still have a stock motor. So it is only underwhelming to me as the only data is at 27-29PSI so far. And were almost to the 1 year date of “preorders going live soon”.the power bank is also not very smooth.

Last edited:

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is exactly why I offered my car to test it 2 months ago. I have the upgrades necessary to see what it truly is capable of.
The P600 is a drop in turbocharger. It’s meant to work for people that don’t want some huge upgrade path like a fully built and ported motor. Your data is not the data they’re looking for.

The only reason they didn’t make more power yet is because past the numbers they posted the MAF voltage maxed out, aircharge went wild, and AF was swinging around like crazy as a result. I saw the datalogs myself and regularly talk to the guy who was testing it. The only solutions are larger MAF housing, aftermarket MAF sensor, or a speed density tune on a Motec or Syvecs. THAT is what is holding it back, not because they didn’t have some beefy engine.

As of right now we don’t have a larger MAF housing (except for the full race kit), nor an aftermarket sensor, and testing on Motec or Syvecs is pointless because they want to see what it does on the Bosch ECU, what 99% of their customers will have.

Last edited:

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports sorry if this has already been addressed, but can the turbo work with the stock intake, charge piping, and downpipe?
Yes, that's why it's a 'drop in' turbocharger, because it matches the factory mounting points and is compatible with any parts that are compatible with the stock turbo.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The P600 is a drop in turbocharger. It’s meant to work for people that don’t want some huge upgrade path like a fully built and ported motor. Your data is not the data they’re looking for.
The stock motor can’t handle 600 so why call it the P600 if they have all these upgrades included in the test?

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The stock motor can’t handle 600 so why call it the P600 if they have all these upgrades included in the test?
Who said the stock motor can't handle 600hp? Torque is what bends rods. To make 600whp at 7000 RPM you only need to make 450lbft of torque. Our engine is capable of handling that much torque, the problem is the OEM turbocharger was never able to carry it to redline. The only problem now is that our ECU can't measure that much air to redline.

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
Who said the stock motor can't handle 600hp? Torque is what bends rods. To make 600whp at 7000 RPM you only need to make 450lbft of torque. Our engine is capable of handling that much torque, the problem is the OEM turbocharger was never able to carry it to redline. The only problem now is that our ECU can't measure that much air to redline.
this and this

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok when your clutch fails and your fuel system doesn’t support it we shall see. You aren’t going to make 600 on a stock car. Sorry.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Ok when your clutch fails and your fuel system doesn’t support it we shall see.
We’re talking about built motor vs stock. People will obviously have to upgrade the fuel system and clutch to support that much power.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We’re talking about built motor vs stock. People will obviously have to upgrade the fuel system and clutch to support that much power.
Vehicle Modifications:
Hondata FlashPro
Hondata Fuel System Upgrade
PRL Motorsports Flex Fuel Kit
PRL Motorsports P600 Turbocharger Upgrade
PRL Motorsports High Volume Intake System
PRL Motorsports Titanium Turbocharger Inlet Pipe Kit
PRL Motorsports Intercooler & Charge Pipe Upgrade Kit
PRL Motorsports Downpipe & Front Pipe Upgrade
Exhaust System Upgrade
Clutch Masters Clutch Upgrade

This is far from 600...

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development 0208B387-D9CF-4605-8B9E-99F12B8F933B

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Vehicle Modifications:
Hondata FlashPro
Hondata Fuel System Upgrade
PRL Motorsports Flex Fuel Kit
PRL Motorsports P600 Turbocharger Upgrade
PRL Motorsports High Volume Intake System
PRL Motorsports Titanium Turbocharger Inlet Pipe Kit
PRL Motorsports Intercooler & Charge Pipe Upgrade Kit
PRL Motorsports Downpipe & Front Pipe Upgrade
Exhaust System Upgrade
Clutch Masters Clutch Upgrade

This is far from 600...

0208B387-D9CF-4605-8B9E-99F12B8F933B.png
I’ve already said it. The MAF sensor maxed out. They didn’t want to push this car further and have the ECU running blind. All it needs is a larger MAF housing or another sensor. It has nothing to do with needing your 2.1L race engine on Motec.

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
I’ve already said it. The MAF sensor maxed out. They didn’t want to push this car further and have the ECU running blind. All it needs is a larger MAF housing or another sensor. It has nothing to do with needing your 2.1L race engine on Motec.
So would this make eventuri’s v2 intake the best intake for our cars? It’s maf housing is 78mm. The price is ridiculous but I’ve been considering picking it up because of this reason

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So would this make eventuri’s v2 intake the best intake for our cars? It’s maf housing is 78mm. The price is ridiculous but I’ve been considering picking it up because of this reason
If the actual MAF housing is larger, yes, it could help alleviate this a little. I'm pretty sure you'll need more than 78mm to get the most out of it though. Aftermarket MAF sensors are being investigated from what I've heard.
Sponsored

Last edited: