PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm pretty sure that a lot of people would've gone with another turbo by now if they weren't waiting for PRL though, tbh.
like me
Sponsored

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
I'm pretty sure that a lot of people would've gone with another turbo by now if they weren't waiting for PRL though, tbh.
And me. Almost cancelled my PRL order a s opted for the Rampage kits but I'll be sticking with PRL and will be waiting for the Turbo

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why they shouldn't release a teaser so far in advance...People move on in the months it takes to get the product to market..
When a company has a press release and all they have is cad drawings, i dont even bother.
I think the initial plan was to have the final released product out by now, but with everything that has transpired this year,its understandable that it may slide into early 2021 to me.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports question! Are these going to be available with any kind of ceramic coating?
I get your thought and logic here but on a small turbo it’s not going to be beneficial in refucing temps only going to drive the cost up 10% or so. If it was a big diesel turbo or strictly for high performance race engine set-ups it may make a difference due to the extreme size and situation. On a smaller turbo even if you ceramic coated a turbo of this size I would estimate the same temps and just end up spending more money on something that will likely not be effective for a Type-R drop in application. Now if all you were building a drag car to pull around on a trailer this may make a small benefit to longevity but I would say this wouldn’t be a viable benefit in a drop in Type-R application or this would already be a consideration.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
Why they shouldn't release a teaser so far in advance...People move on in the months it takes to get the product to market..
When a company has a press release and all they have is cad drawings, i dont even bother.
They do this same shit over and over again. Yet, people buy it up faster than they can get it out the door.

Nice products. However, their marketing and “customer service” people are awful.

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
I get your thought and logic here but on a small turbo it’s not going to be beneficial in refucing temps only going to drive the cost up 10% or so. If it was a big diesel turbo or strictly for high performance race engine set-ups it may make a difference due to the extreme size and situation. On a smaller turbo even if you ceramic coated a turbo of this size I would estimate the same temps and just end up spending more money on something that will likely not be effective for a Type-R drop in application. Now if all you were building a drag car to pull around on a trailer this may make a small benefit to longevity but I would say this wouldn’t be a viable benefit in a drop in Type-R application or this would already be a consideration.
This is based off what data?

Dennietho

First Name
Dennie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Pearl FK8
Country flag
I think the compromise would be a turbo blanket that'll fit this one.

BoostedXsi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Omg this is soooooo awesome....i can't wait

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Full-Race EFR Kit Hondata Fuel System 482 tq 550 whp. Q16 probably wasn't the best fuel to use here, it's oxygenated so it requires more fuel quantity, something we know this car has struggled with. Q16 is tits at high altitude, but this test was done at sea level and it probably hurt their results.
1596238061802.png
First if all that’s dynapack numbers. They are at least 10 percent over actuall wheel hp. Perfect example is 93 octane map says it makes 361 hp. Even with full bolt ons it only does 338whp. Just look at supposed stock torque. No stock ctr puts down 334 torque!!! That’s more than it puts out at the crank!! On a legit dynojet this would put maybe 445 whl torque. Not to mention q16 fuel!! The octane of q16 is stupid high. 116 octane to make 480 torque!! You could put those torque numbers up on a stock turbo with a dynapack on 116 octane fuel. I tell anyone run that with q16 with that tune against ultimate racing that used 91 octane with boostane and made 544whp. Which translates to about 98 octane. Gaurentee the ultimate racing car would win!! Put q16 on a garret kit with port and I’ll bet 570whp on actual dyno!!! E40 is about 98 about octane and only one 475 on a dynapack with efr turbo kit. That’s more like 440 or less on dynojet. Prl beet that stock system with drop in with ms100 blend!! Not full 100!! Even hondata themselves say their numbers are more like crank horsepower!!
you have to deduct at least 10 percent off dynapack. 10 percent off 361 is 325whp which us basically what an intercooler car in 93 ots hondata map actual does.
truth is screw dyno numbers. Red star said they made 500whp with prototype drop in but the mph in the 1/4 wasn’t any better than a stock full bolt on turbo.
people claim Pepo besosa makes 650whp. He’d be doing over 140mph in the qua mile!! His mph is dead on with a 500whp 3200 lb car with driver!! To show how close the math is my mk7 gti as rated at 338 crank stock turbo bolt ons. I went 12.4 at 111. The car weighed 3250 with me in it. The math is within 10 hp. That’s less than 4 percent difference.
500whp at 3200lbs is 132 mph. The 650 claimed is 143mph.
I’ve seen stock turbo go high 11s at 117 and that puts it at 370whp!! why does everyone think you need 500whp to crack 11s.
better yet like someone else says recently.
stop comparing church dyno numbers.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
The exhaust housing looks like it wraps around more than stock. If it is like that internally then it should allow for greater flow through the turbine wheel. Can this be confirmed??

RealBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 & EK
Country flag
First if all that’s dynapack numbers. They are at least 10 percent over actuall wheel hp. Perfect example is 93 octane map says it makes 361 hp. Even with full bolt ons it only does 338whp. Just look at supposed stock torque. No stock ctr puts down 334 torque!!! That’s more than it puts out at the crank!! On a legit dynojet this would put maybe 445 whl torque. Not to mention q16 fuel!! The octane of q16 is stupid high. 116 octane to make 480 torque!! You could put those torque numbers up on a stock turbo with a dynapack on 116 octane fuel. I tell anyone run that with q16 with that tune against ultimate racing that used 91 octane with boostane and made 544whp. Which translates to about 98 octane. Gaurentee the ultimate racing car would win!! Put q16 on a garret kit with port and I’ll bet 570whp on actual dyno!!! E40 is about 98 about octane and only one 475 on a dynapack with efr turbo kit. That’s more like 440 or less on dynojet. Prl beet that stock system with drop in with ms100 blend!! Not full 100!! Even hondata themselves say their numbers are more like crank horsepower!!
you have to deduct at least 10 percent off dynapack. 10 percent off 361 is 325whp which us basically what an intercooler car in 93 ots hondata map actual does.
truth is screw dyno numbers. Red star said they made 500whp with prototype drop in but the mph in the 1/4 wasn’t any better than a stock full bolt on turbo.
people claim Pepo besosa makes 650whp. He’d be doing over 140mph in the qua mile!! His mph is dead on with a 500whp 3200 lb car with driver!! To show how close the math is my mk7 gti as rated at 338 crank stock turbo bolt ons. I went 12.4 at 111. The car weighed 3250 with me in it. The math is within 10 hp. That’s less than 4 percent difference.
500whp at 3200lbs is 132 mph. The 650 claimed is 143mph.
I’ve seen stock turbo go high 11s at 117 and that puts it at 370whp!! why does everyone think you need 500whp to crack 11s.
better yet like someone else says recently.
stop comparing church dyno numbers.
I don't see anywhere that it says what dyno was used.
The stock CTR numbers used here are actually not a stock ctr, from my understanding, but the ctr before the full race turbo kit.
I don't think q16 was as helpful to this dyno chart as you're suggesting. Q16 is heavily enriched with oxygen. It helps more at high altitude where there is less oxygen, but this dyno run was done in california at sea level, where the CTR is already known to be starving for fuel, so you add a fuel that is full of air, and it makes it more lean, so you cannot push the car as hard as you would want on the dyno if you were really trying to strech the numbers. I don't even know why they used the q16 but i believe it was just testing hondata's fuel system.
Just for reference, 91 and boost juice or 91 and straight methanol has proven to be WAY better than q16 if you're going for big numbers.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not yet. I'd imagine at this point it's early 2021, not that much time left before winter.

I'm ready as soon as they are... a rushed project is delayed for a period of time, a bad product is always bad once it's released. Waiting sucks but it's been a crazy year.
Sponsored

Last edited: