PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
http://prlarmy.com/Blog/prl-motorsp...p-in-turbocharger-upgrade-development-part-3/

IMG_2219_zpsz91uvqoi.jpg

Over the past couple of seemingly long months, we have been working to perfect the turbine housing and final machining of our P600 turbocharger upgrade. Our design team has had to go back to the drawing board a few times to make sure fitment and finish could be consistent.

IMG_2198_zpsgz5wc4bs.png

Unlike the factory cast iron turbine housing, the P600 will utilize a cast 304 stainless steel turbine housing for better heat control, increased strength and longevity at high temperatures.

IMG_2200_zpswrhzqjld.jpg

It was important that an adequate amount of material was left after machining and fitting the significantly larger High Efficiency Turbine Wheel into the factory location turbine housing. We wanted to make sure this turbine could be pushed without the chance of turbine housing failure, which we knew would hit home to racers running their setups to the max for extended periods of time.

IMG_2205_zpsd2z0oozh.jpg

Another obstacle we had to overcome was fitting the larger diameter shaft and ball bearing assembly into the CHRA. Quite often we hear about bearing failures and smoking with drop-in turbocharger upgrades, which is usually due to the fact that factory CHRAs were never intended to support these wheel or shaft upgrades. Our billet 304 stainless steel CHRA was completely redesigned to utilize dual ceramic ball bearings for improved durability. This turbocharger retains factory oil and coolant lines, while increasing cooling capacity with its larger water jacket.

IMG_2219_zpsz91uvqoi.jpg

IMG_2223_zps8eokhkiu.jpg

IMG_2211-1024x683.jpg
IMG_2214-1024x683.jpg
IMG_2232_zpshtuyxsdk.jpg

Now that we have a handful of functioning prototypes in hand, our Product Development Team will be working to ensure proper fitment, performance and reliability. Once these units pass quality control, we will be releasing pricing and real-world data provided from in-house and third-party testing. Stay tuned for more updates!
Does it utilize the OEM EWG? Sick of the stupid noise coming from that thing, and couldn't see myself upgrading the turbo without a mechanical WG.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Does it utilize the OEM EWG? Sick of the stupid noise coming from that thing, and couldn't see myself upgrading the turbo without a mechanical WG.
It will be using the OEM EWG. Mechanical wastegates don't work on our ECU. It has to be much more precise than 'fully closed until 23psi'.

Last edited:

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It will be using the OEM EWG. Mechanical wastegates don't work on our ECU. It has to be much more precise than 'fully closed until 23psi'.
Thanks, not interested anymore and likely selling the car based on the EWG alone. Sure, nothing is wrong but it sounds like shit.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks, not interested anymore and likely selling the car based on the EWG alone. Sure, nothing is wrong but it sounds like shit.
You really shouldn't be hearing the EWG too much, if at all. What kind of noise is it?

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You really shouldn't be hearing the EWG too much, if at all. What kind of noise is it?
Hes thinking the car sounds like it does becuase of the EWG when infact its becuase of the direct injection

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I assume the “noise” is the whine or whistle you hear her letting off the throttle that’s being discussed?

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hes thinking the car sounds like it does becuase of the EWG when infact its becuase of the direct injection
Thanks for your opinion on what I'm hearing. Not the noise I'm referring too. There are other threads on this. The EWG, as like other cars, will start to sound like "keys" jingling around while not under load (EWG's, aren't under load in between shifts). Only more noticeable while car is not fully warmed up and at the 1-2 gear areas. This is common wiht a lot of EWG platforms but annoying ntl.

There's no whine or whistle letting off throttle, that would be another issue, which I don't have.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I must be deaf, then. :oops: Never heard this noise except when I'm done flashing a tune or I'm in a garage. Is it not fixable by tightening something up?

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
probably talking about the noise you hear when decelerating in gear.
Most people don't notice it as you need windows down, right temps. etc.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/metallic-sound-when-decelerating.22390/page-12

In short, there's no tension on the EWG when not under load, which causes the rattle. Go out to your car and move the clip on it a little, you'll get the point. And it's not "deaccelerating", it's when the EWG isn't under load at lower speeds.

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
yes i know what you are talking about. i only notice it till like 15mph exiting my neighborhood when there are cars and walls that kind of bounce off the sound.

its not a big deal to me.

DiamondR

Banned
First Name
Sawdomy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r
Country flag
When your watching a thread... And you come back to people not talking about the actual title....

Let's keep this thread off limits and wait for PRL to post stuff so we can get accurate timings on pre orders... Everytime this thread dings I'm mashing my fingers to get to the PRL site so I can secure one before some other bafoon gets their hands on it and sells their car with it on because they don't get 1000HP

Thanks. /End rant

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m very excited to see the data once available from PRL. Maybe more frequent updates from PRL? - possibly as often as weekly would be nice during this testing phase. Even if it’s just a simple updates or teaser clips it would be interesting in my humble opinion vs a long slumber. I think there’s a lot of interested people in this unit for many different reasons. Hence a lot of people frequent and follow it. Too long without any update creates off topic chatter. However the discussion above is slightly relevant as it was related to the components used and discussing the sound relative to parts etc. I can completely understand concern for undesired noises from your car. I’ve modded cars (albeit over 20 years ago) to the point of massive power to only end up reversing the mod to reverse the sounds my car would make being more irritating than the power that gave me enjoyment. There’s definitely sound associated (good or bad depending on opinion) when heavily modifying any vehicle. Again I can’t wait for the 1st update on testing from PRL now that they have begun the final testing of multiple P600 units. I’d be glad to test one, send one my way and I would gladly throw it on my 4k mile build. In the end I personally dont expect actual distribution of the P600 until 2021 based on testing just beginning. Obviously only PRL would be the source to know this but it only seems logical based on testing just beginning with final product.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Too long without any update creates off topic chatter. However the discussion above is slightly relevant as it was related to the components used and discussing the sound relative to parts etc.
Why they shouldn't release a teaser so far in advance...People move on in the months it takes to get the product to market..
When a company has a press release and all they have is cad drawings, i dont even bother.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Why they shouldn't release a teaser so far in advance...People move on in the months it takes to get the product to market..
When a company has a press release and all they have is cad drawings, i dont even bother.
I'm pretty sure that a lot of people would've gone with another turbo by now if they weren't waiting for PRL though, tbh.
Sponsored