PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
I was thinking sub $2500. I'm hoping it would be under $2000. Especially if they won't bundle it with inlet pipe, intercooler down pipe etc
It would be killer if they had it under 2k but for the amount of r&d they've put into it and on top of it being a ground up turbo with state of the art tech it just isn't realistic for them to price it that low sadly

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think any P600 will be bundled as it's drop in ready for even a stock car. I think $1999.99 is the sweet spot but we will probably get the $2499.99 sausage by the link.

It would be nice for those of us who have a crap ton of PRL stuff should get a discounted rate on the preorders.

Last edited:

Joescivic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 K20 swapped coupe and 2013 Si coupe
Country flag
With my current setup, I am mainly looking to make the power I have and on lower boost. When I upgrade the fuel system, then I'llaim higher. But for now, I just think it would help to add their turbo to make the current power level more efficiently:
PRL catless DP
PRL front pipe
PRL Intercooler
PRL charge pipes
PRL HVI
Custom tune on Hondata.

By the way, the first 3 on that list put me at 371/370 on a dynojet. Never got tuned after the charge pipes and HVI. Oh, and just 93 octane. He could have gone higher if I told him to. I'd probably be around 390+ if I wanted a more aggressive tune.

Joescivic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I really hope it is below $2,000 though. Lol. I planned on getting it day one, but not if it is that high.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really hope it is below $2,000 though. Lol. I planned on getting it day one, but not if it is that high.
The kit is priced fairly albeit $3k is a solid investment in a reliable support to make efficiency and power work in your favor. The cost of the kit lowering over time as more are sold and Hondata recaptures R&D and a reasonable profit margin. I truly don’t see the cost coming down substantially outside of a small sale anytime in the future.

As of now no one is in the process of developing a similar solution any time soon, and I would doubt anyone would want to compete with the Hondata Kit in a quite small market. The Type R is a low production model in comparison to the line and with roughly 25% of only forum members reported to modding at all, take that in the grand scheme of all units sold 25% will shrink substantially. Hence keeping the price of the kit high for any foreseeable future.

I highly recommend the fuel kit and it’s nice to run E85 at ~$1.00 less per gallon Over 93-94 despite burning roughly 20% more fuel, I still have a slow ROI on fuel consumption and a reliable air and fuel combination to support the desired power increase.

Just something to consider if you’re in an E85 readily available area and you’re interested in the Fuel Upgrade System by Hondata. You also retain the ability to use pump gasoline via dual tune if you find yourself away from an E85 fuel station and need fuel. (Just FYI for those who may not have looked into flex fuel as an option)

Joescivic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The kit is priced fairly albeit $3k is a solid investment in a reliable support to make efficiency and power work in your favor. The cost of the kit lowering over time as more are sold and Hondata recaptures R&D and a reasonable profit margin. I truly don’t see the cost coming down substantially outside of a small sale anytime in the future.

As of now no one is in the process of developing a similar solution any time soon, and I would doubt anyone would want to compete with the Hondata Kit in a quite small market. The Type R is a low production model in comparison to the line and with roughly 25% of only forum members reported to modding at all, take that in the grand scheme of all units sold 25% will shrink substantially. Hence keeping the price of the kit high for any foreseeable future.

I highly recommend the fuel kit and it’s nice to run E85 at ~$1.00 less per gallon Over 93-94 despite burning roughly 20% more fuel, I still have a slow ROI on fuel consumption and a reliable air and fuel combination to support the desired power increase.

Just something to consider if you’re in an E85 readily available area and you’re interested in the Fuel Upgrade System by Hondata. You also retain the ability to use pump gasoline via dual tune if you find yourself away from an E85 fuel station and need fuel. (Just FYI for those who may not have looked into flex fuel as an option)
I'm in an e85 and higher octane readily available area, but just not that interested in it. The Hondata fuel pump upgrade is something I am interested in as well, but maybe later on.

And if a turbo the size of PRL's p600 upgrade, if it is 2K or 3K like you just said, then nah. Lol. I've supported their products this whole time, using just their stuff, but not for that price. Lol. I might as well use the upgrade from Full Race for $1,499. Lol. Do you work for them or something, and trying to convince people for a higher price or something? Lol.

My main goal, as of right now that is, with PRL's turbo upgrade and all my mods being without the HPFP from Hondata, is to push that power I have and do it more efficiently. I understand all the other stuff, but it isn't in my interest right now to go e85 or any other mixture of fuel.

Tons and TONS of people mod their FK8 on the Owners page on Facebook though. The FK8 isn't THAT low of a production car anymore. Lol. Sure, compared to the lower models it is. Your numbers seem too precise to claim how many people are modding though. Lol

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm in an e85 and higher octane readily available area, but just not that interested in it. The Hondata fuel pump upgrade is something I am interested in as well, but maybe later on.

And if a turbo the size of PRL's p600 upgrade, if it is 2K or 3K like you just said, then nah. Lol. I've supported their products this whole time, using just their stuff, but not for that price. Lol. I might as well use the upgrade from Full Race for $1,499. Lol. Do you work for them or something, and trying to convince people for a higher price or something? Lol.

My main goal, as of right now that is, with PRL's turbo upgrade and all my mods being without the HPFP from Hondata, is to push that power I have and do it more efficiently. I understand all the other stuff, but it isn't in my interest right now to go e85 or any other mixture of fuel.

Tons and TONS of people mod their FK8 on the Owners page on Facebook though. The FK8 isn't THAT low of a production car anymore. Lol. Sure, compared to the lower models it is. Your numbers seem too precise to claim how many people are modding though. Lol
No I don’t work for Hondata or PRL, just sharing my thoughts and experience on the kit and what to realistically expect for it to drop 33% in cost by another manufacturer is slim.

The 25% mod ratio was what was averaged roughly on a modding thread here for those that voted on the thread. It received a solid amount of votes and I don’t think they’ve hit 40,000 units and that’s 10k a year, a very low production car at 25% modding that’s only 2500 chances to sell your part a year and only a small portion of those will be buying your part.

In the end using my experience with the product, simple mathematics on polls and fuel prices, and the fact that all these modifications can be fully reversed if you ever decide to do so is a nice feature as well. That’s why I don’t part off my OEM stuff so I can have all the original parts if I ever decide to move the car to another buyer but intend to keep my project cars and trade off my daily drivers.

So there’s no wrong way to mod your car (Unless you’re modding for power without support mods in place to support it) if you like the results it’s yours to be happy or unhappy with. The more you want to play the more you pay.

I much prefer a drop in turbo vs a kit from my past experiences over the many years I. The tuning world from a reliably standpoint.

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag

Uhhh you know the full race upgrade is $4200? If you’re talking about just the borg Warner turbo you’d need to add the $300 v band adapter and the $420 install kit not to mention a custom downpipe and inlet pipe
Sponsored