PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development

Chrisp1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Type R, 12' Mustang, 05' STI
Country flag
so what are we thinking is achievable with full bolt on's and a drop in turbo power wise on the safe side?? Just over 400-450hp and just below 400trq...
Sponsored

Last edited:

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so what are we thinking is achievable with full bolt on's and a drop in turbo power wise on the safe side?? Just over 400-450np and just below 400trq...
No one will answer the same, or won't answer at all. Those that have shared their experiences, I've heard anywhere from 400-500WTQ max depending on the source. I'll let you know where I land with the July heat in a few weeks without the turbo upgrade but with everything on the stock turbo. I'm expecting to be 450+WTQ in the heat.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
No one will answer the same, or won't answer at all. Those that have shared their experiences, I've heard anywhere from 400-500WTQ max depending on the source. I'll let you know where I land with the July heat in a few weeks without the turbo upgrade but with everything on the stock turbo. I'm expecting to be 450+WTQ in the heat.
The highest torque I’ve seen is 475 torque and 544whp ultimate racing 98 octane with garret 660

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah the problem is with the stock turbo is controlling low end torque in tuning. Really torque past the 425-450 mark. While Hondata has ran 480wtq for 18 months it doesn’t mean that’s a safe level. It really depends on many factors. I expect to be pushing more than what HondaPro Jason’s article was dynoed at in a safer manner since I have more supporting mods than he does, however you’d have to run the same dyno in the same day in the same manner to really get a similar comparisons between any 2 vehicles in all reality.

While HPJs turbo is still stock it is modified once you have a different turbo set-up you can push more HP and less torque and move the torque peak higher in the RPM band to effectively make it safer to run a higher torque. The quality of a custom tune can pull an easy 35-40whp.

Last edited:

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Yeah the problem is with the stock turbo is controlling low end torque in tuning. Really torque past the 425-450 mark. While Hondata has ran 480wtq for 18 months it doesn’t mean that’s a safe level. It really depends on many factors. I expect to be pushing more than what HondaPro Jason’s article was dynoed at in a safer manner since I have more supporting mods than he does, however you’d have to run the same dyno in the same day in the same manner to really get a similar comparisons between any 2 vehicles in all reality.

While HPJs turbo is still stock it is modified once you have a different turbo set-up you can push more HP and less torque and move the torque peak higher in the RPM band to effectively make it safer to run a higher torque. The quality of a custom tune can pull an easy 35-40whp.
Stock fuel system pretty much cars torque at 390wheel on 93. Anything more requires fuel upgrade. Hondata dyno uses dynapack. It’s more like flywheel. It’s about 10 percent higher than your typical dynojet reading. It’s closer to crank power. still that puts it around 450ish. They also did not run q16 race fuel for 18 months. That graph has only appeared recently after they developed the garret turbo kit. It’s possible not the efr turbo kit they first made. Most likely it was the e40 tune they ran most of the time. That’s around 450whp and 430 torque on dynojet. So to say they ran 480 wheel torque for 18 months I doubt it. I’m not certain it can make that much more than 475 wheel torque. Especially with how little the stock intake ports flow It’s only 160cfm. Original k20 was around 300cfm. Ported they flow 300cfm like older k20s.
ultinate racing I am uncertain what dyno they used but it was roller system like dynojet and mustang dynos. still all that being said no one I know has run 450 torque for any significant time stock engine. It’s not saying it’s impossible but your now talking 50 percent more power than stock. The only engine I know that can take that increase without blowing up is the original 2jz from Supra. Not a fluke it was done without issue by a lot if people. Up to 800 hp safely.
all that aside I’ve actually only seen rod failure on antilag.
We really should stop high jacking this thread and create a new one. I’m more interested at this point in prl release of turbo.
I really hope they get to testing soon. If they don’t get it out soon by the end of summer I’m going to have to buy a full kit. This looks like a nice design compared to a hybrid. I really hope they finish the turbine housing. At this point I can’t imagine what is holding them up. I’m praying it comes soon.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
At this point I can’t imagine what is holding them up. I’m praying it comes soon.
Nothing major, just a worldwide pandemic.

Major supply chains are seeing disruption waves right now.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stock fuel system pretty much cars torque at 390wheel on 93. Anything more requires fuel upgrade. Hondata dyno uses dynapack. It’s more like flywheel. It’s about 10 percent higher than your typical dynojet reading. It’s closer to crank power. still that puts it around 450ish. They also did not run q16 race fuel for 18 months. That graph has only appeared recently after they developed the garret turbo kit. It’s possible not the efr turbo kit they first made. Most likely it was the e40 tune they ran most of the time. That’s around 450whp and 430 torque on dynojet. So to say they ran 480 wheel torque for 18 months I doubt it. I’m not certain it can make that much more than 475 wheel torque. Especially with how little the stock intake ports flow It’s only 160cfm. Original k20 was around 300cfm. Ported they flow 300cfm like older k20s.
ultinate racing I am uncertain what dyno they used but it was roller system like dynojet and mustang dynos. still all that being said no one I know has run 450 torque for any significant time stock engine. It’s not saying it’s impossible but your now talking 50 percent more power than stock. The only engine I know that can take that increase without blowing up is the original 2jz from Supra. Not a fluke it was done without issue by a lot if people. Up to 800 hp safely.
all that aside I’ve actually only seen rod failure on antilag.
We really should stop high jacking this thread and create a new one. I’m more interested at this point in prl release of turbo.
I really hope they get to testing soon. If they don’t get it out soon by the end of summer I’m going to have to buy a full kit. This looks like a nice design compared to a hybrid. I really hope they finish the turbine housing. At this point I can’t imagine what is holding them up. I’m praying it comes soon.
Good points made here, I don’t see any thread hi-jacking. It’s bumping the product for PRL the P600 will be a great mod for those that are still basically stock looking for huge safe power gains over a traditional tune and PRL HVI or other variety. I will say 375WTQ via simple mods and a tune are very easily obtainable but there is a significant difference in say 375 & 425WTQ (12% increase on the 375) so this is a substantial difference as a lot of people get hung up on HP being what makes a car fast TQ is what gives you the pull. Yes HP is also a factor but TQ is every bit as relative to the “umph” factor.

Say someone like myself where the only mods left are upgraded turbo and engine building. I can still have more reliable and more power the P600 will provide that just like the fuel system allows more and at quality levels. Every mod allows not only more power it’s also adding in ways to push that power more efficiently on your vehicle In the end causing more reliable results so it’s good to point out the potential for thier newest product for anyone no matter where you are in the modding process it’s beneficial to them.

I wanted to stay OEM wheel fitment but even with Traction control option 425–450whp you’re going to have traction issues to learn to adapt to even on a 9.5”. I know of some using a small spacer running the T7s 10.7” wide on 295 series. Tread on the ground is a Big mod to consider. So do many of the companies offer a solution to you outside of 9.5” not many or some modifications will need considered.

Bump for the P600 and the potential it brings to everyone modding (roughly 25% of the crowd here).

Last edited:

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Good points made here, I don’t see any thread hi-jacking. It’s bumping the product for PRL the P600 will be a great mod for those that are still basically stock looking for huge safe power gains over a traditional tune and PRL HVI or other variety. I will say 375WTQ via simple mods and a tune are very easily obtainable but there is a significant difference in say 375 & 425WTQ (12% increase on the 375) so this is a substantial difference as a lot of people get hung up on HP being what makes a car fast TQ is what gives you the pull. Yes HP is also a factor but TQ is every bit as relative to the “umph” factor.

Say someone like myself where the only mods left are upgraded turbo and engine building. I can still have more reliable and more power the P600 will provide that just like the fuel system allows more and at quality levels. Every mod allows not only more power it’s also adding in ways to push that power more efficiently on your vehicle In the end causing more reliable results so it’s good to point out the potential for thier newest product for anyone no matter where you are in the modding process it’s beneficial to them.

I wanted to stay OEM wheel fitment but even with Traction control option 425–450whp you’re going to have traction issues to learn to adapt to even on a 9.5”. I know of some using a small spacer running the T7s 10.7” wide on 295 series. Tread on the ground is a Big mod to consider. So do many of the companies offer a solution to you outside of 9.5” not many or some modifications will need considered.

Bump for the P600 and the potential it brings to everyone modding (roughly 25% of the crowd here).
This is a very good point. Torque is a lot if what makes a track car fast. My gti ran 12.45 on radials at 111 with an ots map that was rated at 338hp at the crank. It did have 402ft lbs of torque. That’s massive in the first 1/8th mile. The second half of 1/4 mile is hp. I’m one of few people that knows what a car feels lik me that makes 500ft lbs at the wheels from 2500 to 6000. It’s ridiculous. I had a 2013 zl1 previously. About 10k in mod parr’s alone. Looking at these higher powered cars like hellcat mustang gt500 and camaro zl1 the zl1 cam outrun a hellcat and hang with mustang gt500. It’s due to available torque everywhere. I’ve been in. Cars that make stupid high end power but have a tiny power band. Often you see guys get crushed by a guy with 100hp less in a car the same weight. One interesting example of too big is an mk7 golf r upgrading to a CT’s boss 500 and Due to lack of fuel and Late Spool without the fuel system it’s slower with more hp. This is where I feel the prl600 will be a really great track option. Expected to spool the earliest than any other turbo with that power capability. The only comparison might be the garret gt25-660 but using a .49 AR housing and not a .72. No one currently has tried that particular set up. The .72 housing spools after 4000. Even the g25-550 can’t spool till 3800-4000 with a .72. Prl did not change the AR but did go to a 9 blade wheel instead of 12. Having more space between the blades has a similar effect as increasing A/R.
basically a smaller AR makes the air hit the blades on a more perpendicular angle. This spins up the turbo faster but can eventually cause more back pressure. Truly depends on boost levels and other factors. Larger AR makes the air flow at less of an Angle allowing slightly less air to hit the blades and travel through unimpeded. This makes later spool but better gas flow efficiency up at higher rpm. Less back pressure same boost equals more power.
i could go on forever cause there’s so much about turbo design. What’s interesting is the wheel design on the final version looks super close to the garret g25-660. Same size shape color and even the v shaped gap between the exhaust blades looks almost identical to garret. They are both 9 blade turbine and compressor. Even the bearing cartridge looks the similar but most bearing cartridges look alike. I’ve looked veryclosely at both. Both compressors have very similar machining marks. It’s safe to say it’s definitely one of the latest designs in wheel designs.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
a little birdie from PRL told me that they are hoping for the release at the end of summer.
Just as well since our cars perform significantly better in every other season!

I'm ready to complete my PRL collection. Just gotta get the turbo and a flex fuel kit.

@PRL Motorsports can you guys go ahead and make an exhaust too so I can be fully front-to-back PRL? ?

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports I know rona happened and all but I need an update on this please
PRL is struggling to keep up with current demands for already available parts and order demands from preorders. I had to jump through alternate hoops from an order in early June and order the same parts I ordered from a PRL dealer out of country just to keep my original build scheduled 2 months earlier and cost me hundreds of extra dollars in shipping costs alone due to no communication that the parts wouldn’t be available as promised they would be multiple times. At the time all parts were scheduled for June 28th to July 5th. Those parts since the original parts ordered slipped into August and September. I could have easily ordered the same parts from several PRL dealers in early June who had them in stock on the date of my original PRL pre-order, instead to keep in but chose to pay the extreme last minute shipping from poor communication and lack of filling my order but filling large dealer orders.

The same essentially applies here. Many Turbo options already exist for the CTR, but those of us that recognize PRL as a leader in performance parts for the CTR we are waiting for their part over other options available.

I love the PRL brand and their level of performance, was I happy about the months of waiting with the mindset my parts would be available the day promised? Absolutely not, but in relative fashion I am waiting for the P600 as a loyal customer. Sometimes we all get caught as an individual assuming all will be as expected I’m sure PRL is spending extra money in the same fashion from their suppliers to create the products.

Sh*t happens, however with existing parts with ETAs slipping 2 months without communication from PRL (outside of it will be there on time on multiple occasions prior to the install) in end costing a loyal customer hundreds of dollars (in express international shipping to meet timelines scheduled months in advance) to buy it from a PRL dealer who received new shipments the week prior to your order being pushed can’t help from leaving some salt in your mouth from a customer service standpoint.

We all are eager to receive word on the P600, do I think PRL was intentionally trying to provide poor customer service, No. but in the end it happened and eventually the P600 will happen. I just wanted to provide an example of the struggle being real so I would estimate Fall personally from my recent experience with PRL orders.

Last edited:

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Just as well since our cars perform significantly better in every other season!

I'm ready to complete my PRL collection. Just gotta get the turbo and a flex fuel kit.

@PRL Motorsports can you guys go ahead and make an exhaust too so I can be fully front-to-back PRL? ?
compared to stock my significant power loss now doesn’t happen till I exceed 90 degrees and unless I’m stagnant in traffic heat soaking even after driver for an hour in 90 degrees I don’t get significant power loss. The biggest difference isn’t just in intercooler but I have a bigger radiator. This significantly helps with heat soak. It’s not till I get iat over 150 from sitting in traffic do I start to get a big difference in power. Also I run a slightly leaner mixture in high rpm than ots maps. This car likes leaner mixture than typical port injection. I don’t have to worry about ruining a converter. This actually produces less overall heat. The gas temps are higher but the total heat output is lower cause there less gas. Also richer mixtures on this car seem to suffer more power loss with heat. Yes other seasons cooler temps are faster but I’d rather tune my setup in hot weather than have to revise it almost a year later. The only thing I worry about in winter is running out of fuel. Hopefully xdi will finish the high pressure pump they are working on with full race by then.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
compared to stock my significant power loss now doesn’t happen till I exceed 90 degrees and unless I’m stagnant in traffic heat soaking even after driver for an hour in 90 degrees I don’t get significant power loss. The biggest difference isn’t just in intercooler but I have a bigger radiator. This significantly helps with heat soak. It’s not till I get iat over 150 from sitting in traffic do I start to get a big difference in power. Also I run a slightly leaner mixture in high rpm than ots maps. This car likes leaner mixture than typical port injection. I don’t have to worry about ruining a converter. This actually produces less overall heat. The gas temps are higher but the total heat output is lower cause there less gas. Also richer mixtures on this car seem to suffer more power loss with heat. Yes other seasons cooler temps are faster but I’d rather tune my setup in hot weather than have to revise it almost a year later. The only thing I worry about in winter is running out of fuel. Hopefully xdi will finish the high pressure pump they are working on with full race by then.
Yeah, I'm gonna be picking up a new radiator one of these days. Can't wait for more fuel pump options.

CBPtypeRgrunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ FK8, AP1 S2000, F-150, YZF-R6
Country flag
Wondering how much it would be? I know Rampage is selling an upgrade for $1849
Sponsored