PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
As many of you have seen, we began testing a potential drop-in turbocharger upgrade for the FK8 Honda Civic Type-R in July of 2019. We managed to produce 460+ horsepower and 430+ ft/lbs torque on stock engine and produced close to 500 horsepower with third party testing with our first prototype turbocharger. Though we were satisfied with the results of this particular turbocharger, we still felt that we could design and produce an even better performing upgrade for the community. Here is what we’ve come up with over the past few months:

The PRL Motorsports P600 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade for the 2.0L Turbo FK8 Civic Type-R platform (which can also be installed on the 2.0L Turbo Honda Accord and Acura RDX) will utilize a billet 304 stainless steel, dual ceramic ball bearing CHRA for reduced weight and improved durability. This turbocharger retains factory oil and coolant lines, as well as the factory bypass valve and wastegate actuator. Our new CHRA is also designed to increase cooling capacity with its larger water jacket.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development Center%20Bearing_zpsy1p9miel

For reference, here is a comparison between the factory Mitsubishi TD04-T/C, our prototype turbocharger, and our P600 turbocharger:

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development PRL Motorsports P600 Turbocharger Specs Austenitic Stainless_zpsvr3si8w6

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development CompressorComparisonsStocktoP600.1_zpsp1blhal9

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development Turbine%20Shafts%20and%20Comparisons%20Jay%20Payg_zps3ppffmar

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development front_zpsks7hnhqm

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development sideshot_zpsyswir3ko

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development sideshot2_zpsqetmn8jx

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development backside_zpschbkzlf0

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development backside2_zpso84ts7pu

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development sideshot3_zps47ga3uxq

Our High Efficiency compressor wheel is significantly taller than most billet compressor wheel upgrades and features the latest technology in aerodynamics (tapered tip exducer, cutback design on blade top edge) for optimal spool and power. This High Efficiency Turbine Wheel also features the latest technology in aerodynamics for optimal spool and power.

The P600 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade will be capable of delivering up to 600 wheel horsepower and we also expect similar spool as our prototype unit despite being larger, which was near factory to begin with.

Stay tuned as we continue to post updates as they come, and test results once we have a production sample. Pricing is to be determined, but current ETA is the summer of 2020!

http://prlarmy.com/Blog/prl-motorsp...fk8-drop-in-turbocharger-upgrade-development/

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development Compressor%20Comparisons%20Stock%20to%20P600_zpsbad56vu8

Last edited:

flixman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R - Black
Country flag
so your titanium intake and down pipe should bolt up to it. no need to buy anything else other than your turbo. i owned every single item you made for the FK8

As many of you have seen, we began testing a potential drop-in turbocharger upgrade for the FK8 Honda Civic Type-R
in July of 2019. We managed to produce 460+ horsepower and 430+ ft/lbs torque on stock engine and produced close to 500 horsepower with third party testing with our first prototype turbocharger. Though we were satisfied with the results of this particular turbocharger, we still felt that we could design and produce an even better performing upgrade for the community. Here is what we’ve come up with over the past few months:

The PRL Motorsports P600 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade for the 2.0L Turbo FK8 Civic Type-R platform (which can also be installed on the 2.0L Turbo Honda Accord and Acura RDX) will utilize a billet 304 stainless steel, dual ceramic ball bearing CHRA for reduced weight and improved durability. This turbocharger retains factory oil and coolant lines, as well as the factory bypass valve and wastegate actuator. Our new CHRA is also designed to increase cooling capacity with its larger water jacket.

Center%20Bearing_zpsy1p9miel.jpg

For reference, here is a comparison between the factory Mitsubishi TD04-T/C, our prototype turbocharger, and our P600 turbocharger:

View attachment 194191

Compressor%20Comparisons%20Stock%20to%20P600_zpsbad56vu8.jpg

Turbine%20Shafts%20and%20Comparisons%20Jay%20Payg_zps3ppffmar.jpg

front_zpsks7hnhqm.png

sideshot_zpsyswir3ko.png

sideshot2_zpsqetmn8jx.png

backside_zpschbkzlf0.png

backside2_zpso84ts7pu.png

sideshot3_zps47ga3uxq.png

Our High Efficiency compressor wheel is significantly taller than most billet compressor wheel upgrades and features the latest technology in aerodynamics (tapered tip exducer, cutback design on blade top edge) for optimal spool and power. This High Efficiency Turbine Wheel also features the latest technology in aerodynamics for optimal spool and power.

The P600 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade will be capable of delivering up to 600 wheel horsepower and we also expect similar spool as our prototype unit despite being larger, which was near factory to begin with.

Stay tuned as we continue to post updates as they come, and test results once we have a production sample. Pricing is to be determined, but current ETA is the summer of 2020!

http://prlarmy.com/Blog/prl-motorsp...fk8-drop-in-turbocharger-upgrade-development/

Japsw20

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR
Country flag
On what fuel system? Any news on an affordable fuel system besides the Hondata?

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
On what fuel system? Any news on an affordable fuel system besides the Hondata?
Someone asked on their IG post if the stock fuel system was enough and they responded with yes so we should be gucci.

Also Hondata mentioned a while back that they were pushing beyond 450HP(dont recall the exact number) safely for a year on stock internals so this makes me beyond excited!!! Honestly with 450HP and 430TQ, i am more than happy

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
so your titanium intake and down pipe should bolt up to it. no need to buy anything else other than your turbo. i owned every single item you made for the FK8
Yes, this turbo will be compatible with all of our current products!

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Someone asked on their IG post if the stock fuel system was enough and they responded with yes so we should be gucci.

Also Hondata mentioned a while back that they were pushing beyond 450HP(dont recall the exact number) safely for a year on stock internals so this makes me beyond excited!!! Honestly with 450HP and 430TQ, i am more than happy

I feel the exact same way. If I can get anywhere near 450whp on 93 octane with stock internals I’m down! I won’t need much more than that.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
450/430 needs upgraded clutch? No?

Japsw20

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR
Country flag
Hondata is too proud of their fuel system at what they’re asking, we don’t need the injectors at 400ish range just a fuel pump.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Very nice @PRL Motorsports, you guys made my decision not to go with a turbo kit lol
Yeah I was banking on prl having a good turbo option, their proto type was a drop in upgrade so I new the updated one would be as well. I'd hate to have spent all of that money on parts literally starting from intake/inlet all the way through to the end of the exhaust, and then get a kit which usually has a custom intake/inlet, downpipe, charge pipes. I already have the prl versions of all of those lol.

I'm curious what to see what this can get on the stock fuel system at a safe afr. I'll need a new clutch regardless, and at least rods and pistons if I want to go way past 400ft/lbs

Also, @PRL Motorsports is there a reason why the hot side isn't pictured?

Last edited:

flixman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R - Black
Country flag
Is this turbo moving the torque band across so not to put strain on the engine like the stock turbo does?

As many of you have seen, we began testing a potential drop-in turbocharger upgrade for the FK8 Honda Civic Type-R in July of 2019. We managed to produce 460+ horsepower and 430+ ft/lbs torque on stock engine and produced close to 500 horsepower with third party testing with our first prototype turbocharger. Though we were satisfied with the results of this particular turbocharger, we still felt that we could design and produce an even better performing upgrade for the community. Here is what we’ve come up with over the past few months:

Center%20Bearing_zpsy1p9miel.jpg

View attachment 194191

Compressor%20Comparisons%20Stock%20to%20P600_zpsbad56vu8.jpg

Turbine%20Shafts%20and%20Comparisons%20Jay%20Payg_zps3ppffmar.jpg

front_zpsks7hnhqm.png

sideshot_zpsyswir3ko.png

sideshot2_zpsqetmn8jx.png

backside_zpschbkzlf0.png

backside2_zpso84ts7pu.png

sideshot3_zps47ga3uxq.png

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Yeah I was banking on prl having a good turbo option, their proto type was a drop in upgrade so I new the updated one would be as well. I'd hate to have spent all of that money on parts literally starting from intake/inlet all the way through to the end of the exhaust, and then get a kit which usually has a custom intake/inlet, downpipe, charge pipes. I already have the prl versions of all of those lol.

I'm curious what to see what this can get on the stock fuel system at a safe afr. I'll need a new clutch regardless, and at least rods and pistons if I want to go way past 400ft/lbs

Also, @PRL Motorsports is there a reason why the hot side isn't pictured?
Yeah this definitely changes a lot of things, I have the HVI already and have the inlet pipe shipping to me in February. I may have to buy another PRL catless downpipe again along with their intercooler and charge pipes. As for building the engine, I have all the parts that you can buy from 4piston, just waiting to see what other fuel system upgrades are coming out instead of Hondata.
Sponsored